Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
dagr8tim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Exchange Question

Please Login to Remove!

I know similar questions have been hashed out before (I searched around a bit), but I've found none that address my specific question.

I have a personal bb that I want to hook up to my office's exchange server. We do not have BES (because somebody decided about a year ago to buy a crop of Treo's).

Anyways, I managed to setup my email with my works OWA and can receive emails. I am getting an error when I send that the address is invalid (I'm assuming the recipients address). Anyways, I what I want to do is to setup outgoing to go through a pop account I setup on my domain. With the reply to configured, this should work. I just can't figure out if I can configure the email account like that.

Is it possible to do what I want to do? I have access to the exchange server, but would perfer not to piss off my boss by modifying the server.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Not sure where you work but most companies would blow a gasket if they found out the employees are forwarding company email to a public POP email system.
Anyway you may be able to set up the outlook to send and receive email if they allow remote access ( usually no ) You may be getting rejections if your company blocks non domain originated email.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
dagr8tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Not sure where you work but most companies would blow a gasket if they found out the employees are forwarding company email to a public POP email system.
Anyway you may be able to set up the outlook to send and receive email if they allow remote access ( usually no ) You may be getting rejections if your company blocks non domain originated email.
I think you are right about the rejections. As for forwarding emails through a pop. I'm not planning to do that. I can receive emails via setting up to connect to OWA, but cannot send.

On my bb, what I want to do is when I reply to an email, have it sent through a pop with a reply to of my work email (spoofing). I don't really deal with sensitive data and would not quote anything that would be considered sensitive.

Also, my boss and IT co-workers all have phones with Windows Mobile, so they don't have to jump through hoops to get their emails on their phones. I'm not really doing anything that they aren't already doing. And all email is unencrypted over public networks. It's not like it would be some huge security hole.

Last edited by dagr8tim; 02-14-2008 at 07:37 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

That’s the problem, your the only one who has it right. The others are using an inferior device.
If your on a BIS via Verizon you should be able to send emails but it will have the address you have for Verizon email. I don’t see a way around this but someone else may have a solution.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
dagr8tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
That’s the problem, your the only one who has it right. The others are using an inferior device.
If your on a BIS via Verizon you should be able to send emails but it will have the address you have for Verizon email. I don’t see a way around this but someone else may have a solution.
I see what you are saying. I know in most email programs, you can send out a different SMTP server (network) than the incoming is on. The thing is that you have to set the reply to address to be the same as the incoming email address. That way when somebody replies, it comes back to the original email address. I'm basically trying to do that on my bb. Is there a way to do that in the bb email confiig.

As for the VZW address. My domail email accepts any emails as long as the username and password are correct. I was going to create an email account on my domain to send mail out of.