Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
BBJacob

Model: 8700x
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Unhappy Blank White Screen Tried Everything

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, im not that new to blackberries..I have a curve now but my first blackberry was an 8700c. I sold this phone on ebay, working fine, well the buyer got it and apparently it worked for a day then it went to white screen and would stay for an hour or so, now it wont come off the blank white screen. I have already tried updating the OS, when i connect it the DM my laptop finds the phone fine, and I can see the Apps on the phone fine. But still just a white screen. Ive looked through the forum and found a couple different things people have told other people to try and I tried all these and nothing. Does anyone have any idea whats going on??? Please help...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

welcome to the forums. sounds like the screen is either bad, or there is liquid damage to the device. did the buyer return this device back to you then? if so check the liquid damage indicators on the device. there is one on the device in the battery compartment the other is on the battery itself. the one on the battery should be white with red marks on it (either a line or red X's) and the one on the device should be pure white.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

could also just be a loose connection between the LCD and main board.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
BBJacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
welcome to the forums. sounds like the screen is either bad, or there is liquid damage to the device. did the buyer return this device back to you then? if so check the liquid damage indicators on the device. there is one on the device in the battery compartment the other is on the battery itself. the one on the battery should be white with red marks on it (either a line or red X's) and the one on the device should be pure white.
Yes he did return however I replaced all the plastics and the plastics I bought had a red sticker already on it...I think the outside plastics were new but it was a used inside black piece, if you know what im talking about...but at first he claimed he took it to the ATT store and they said it had severe water damage which I know it didnt have when I had it and it worked when it left here and first got there..and the battery has the red X's so its fine..i dont know if I should call him out on it that he did something or what..
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

it may be water damage. the buyer may have damaged the device.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
BBJacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
it may be water damage. the buyer may have damaged the device.
So you think its definatly dead? Short of possibly replacing LCD? Im just going to try and get it out of the buyer that he did something..I have pictures of it working and email of him telling me that it worked when he first got it. What he did after that I have no idea...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
bsnelson

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

OK, here's a new twist on this: I've got a Verizon 8703e, and I updated the software from 4.1 to 4.2 using the links found on Verizon's site. Upon completion, I've got a blank white screen and no flashing LED. The phone can receive calls and chimes when it received e-mail, but no visual response.

It was working fine before the install. Unfortunately, it's had the screen replaced before (almost a year ago) due to water and the witness indicators (battery and phone) are Ferrari red, so I'm sure the Verizon store is just going to tell me to stick it.

Should I try JL_Cmder to wipe it and reload? I took a backup before I did anything to it, so I should be covered there.

Brad
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
bsnelson

Update: I used JL_Cmdr to grab a screenshot, and everything is there and correct in the screenshot.

Is this pointing towards bad hardware now? How the heck can a software upgrade cause a screen to go bad?

Brad
Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
bsnelson

Can anyone who's had a bad screen in the past comment on this: My LED doesn't work, either. Is that normal? Are they on the same daughterboard or the like? I don't really have a good comparison, because last time my screen died, the actual LCD part was fine; it was the backlight that died. This time, the backlight is great but the screen is just snow white.

If it's really the screen, should I expect the LED to not be lit as well? To repeat, the phone functions, and I can see through JL_Cmder that the screens look fine.

Brad
Closed Thread