Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
vicarage

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Unable to receive E-mails

Please Login to Remove!

Hi
I have received a BB 8820 and as this is my first one I have had to spend a day or so setting it up and understanding the features. I am able to hook it up to WIFI (UMA) and receive/make calls through UMA only (I know it is UMA as I turn off the mobile connection). The call quality is good and I have not experienced any drop offs. I can also browse the internet through UMA only as well.. I can also do exactly the same using EDGE as well with UMA turned off. So far so good

However, I am not able to receive or send e-mail when using only UMA. In order to do this I must activate the mobile connection, and then I can down load and send e-mails. I am using a Belkin pre-N router and despite the issues that have been previously reported on this forum all the other wifi and voice connections work. I have a data plan through Orange. What am I missing on the set up ? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

go into your mobile network options and make sure wifi preferred is set. welcome to the forums.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
vicarage

Thanks but I have the WIFI as a priority. I called Orange in the UK and they confirmed that for the present you cannot receive e-mails via WIFI. Blackberry are apparently working on this issue and it may be possible to use this facility soon (no date was given). If any other UK users have had a similar experience I would like to hear from them.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
vicarage

Since the last posting my unit will not connect at all to my router and I am now only able to communicate using EDGE. Scanning the other threads on this and other BB web sites it would appear that all other users of the BB8820 with Orange UK are experiencing difficulties with using their device with WIFI. It does not seem to be supported by Orange and yet they advertise this feature as part of a phone upgrade package !
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

To successfully send/receive emails through WiFi on 8820 the following is necessary:

1. Blackberry data plan (you must have it if email through EDGE is working).
2. Connection from device to your wireless router (you are saying your device doesn't).
3. WiFi enabled and its logo looking not grey but solid black and white on blackberry screen.

Get through step 2, and when on step 3 start troubleshooting with Orange.

>Blackberry are apparently working on this issue and it may be possible to use this facility soon

My 8820 works through WiFi just fine and it is blackberry I can reassure you. Call Orange guys and ask them how is it 'blackberry' problem if 8820 WiFi works with other carriers.

Last edited by Berry One; 03-25-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Old 03-29-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
vicarage

I contacted Orange again via e-mail and am awaiting a response from the correct department. However in the meantime, and without changing any of the settings, I have now started to receive UMA again via my router and, to boot, e-mails. It seems rather haphazard in operation but at least it is a step in the right direction.
Closed Thread