Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
banannarb

Model: n/a
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry best?

Please Login to Remove!

As I mentioned in my intro thread I'm very interested in the blackberry for business purposes, my new job requires that I travel around a bit and so it would be nice to have a good phone for all intents and purposes. I'm curious if anyone can explain to me briefly what the clear advantage of a blackberry would be over, say, a treo or an iphone. So far the bb's have impressed me the most, but I'm no cellphone expert.

things I'm most interested in:

-which has better web browsing/email capabilities?

-what about voicemail? I know some phones enable you to receive voicemails via SMS or check from your phone without calling in to the inbox

-conferencing? A few co-workers of mine have treos because they claim they can teleconference (3-way calls) a lot easier, but I don't know that any of them have actually compared this feature against a bb

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You should take a look at the devices you're considering. I'd separate out web browsing and email as separate items though for your comparisons.

Personally, I've preferred the BB over other platforms for its reliability. All the bells and whistles in the world are great but they won't do you much good if all your time is spent on troubleshooting, IMO.

That said, Safari on the iPhone is really nice.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-21-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
BBHorrigan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I think the blackberry wins in email, but in web browsing, its really hard to beat an Iphone. I've found that the conference calling with blackberry's and treo's are very similar and I couldn't find any big difference between the two. Voice mail I'm assuming would depend more on the carrier then the device. In closing, I would say the blackberry is more efficient then the treo, but the treo has more bells and or whistles.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: & Teller

it would be best if you do a search for the comparisons that you're looking to make, then have your decision based on that. We would love to see you have a BlackBerry in your hands and join us, but only you would know if BlackBerry would be the better device for your needs.

there are tons of weblinks that does the comparisons for you; blackberry vs. iphone, blackberry vs. palm, and even blackberry vs. windows mobile. BUT, be weiry of bias comparisons. I would also recommend going into the retail stores and seeing them in person and giving it some "hands-on". Ask to speak with someone who specializes in those various devices (if available) because MOST reps do not know what they're talking about, they just want the activation. And of course, US here at BBF.

Most would agree that BlackBerry = best in communicatin with simple multi-media
and iPhone = best in multimedia with basic communication.

It is a fact that BlackBerry is the best in the industry when it comes to e-mail, battery life, and various 3rd party applications for enhancements. I chose BlackBerry for that, and it also happens to be one of the most attractive looking machines out there.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
i.masterem

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

Hmm there are a lot of interesting points being made here. I'm tempted to get an iPhone myself after reading!

Anyway, a few essential points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by banannarb View Post
-what about voicemail? I know some phones enable you to receive voicemails via SMS or check from your phone without calling in to the inbox
This is entirely dependent upon the service and not the phone. And maybe not even the phone service. For example, I know that advanced voicemail and 800 providers have features where you can access messages from your pda. My company uses gotvmail for this; it wasn't offered in any phone service plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banannarb View Post
-conferencing? A few co-workers of mine have treos because they claim they can teleconference (3-way calls) a lot easier, but I don't know that any of them have actually compared this feature against a bb
I think most advanced phones can do this...can anyone else comment?

But, to underscore another reply, I think trying several phones out is a good way to go.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
ajm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Opera Mini 4.1 works great with the Curve, as well as other BlackBerrys.

I don't know why this is never mentioned as a great alternative web browser, very good but of course not as good as iPhone. In the end, though, it will get you a lot further towards a full browsing experience than the built-in BB browser.

You'll also find that the BlackBerry Curve has some good multimedia capabilities, but again they're not as good as iPhone. In the end, though, the real use of your phone is for communications, which BlackBerry wins hands-down.

With my Curve on T-Mobile, I'm always on Google Talk, AIM, Windows Messenger, ICQ and BlackBerry messenger. I can send pics/voicenotes over BBM. Email is instant. Typing is fast. I find that I can communicate instantly with other BlackBerry users and people using their computers, but iPhone users are "lagged" -- no IM, no MMS, no instant Email; only SMS or voice. It's sort of frustrating when somebody else doesn't have a BlackBerry because they seem so out-of-reach.

Add to this T-Mobile Curve's UMA support (Wi-Fi calling) and you've got a clear winner. I get full signal anywhere there is Wi-Fi, and with the optional $10 "talk forever" option my whole family (well, two Curves) can get/make free calls while connected to Wi-Fi (which is home, work, Starbucks and anywhere we go for vacation, even out of the country or elsewhere mobile signal is hard to obtain)
Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
cmguerra77
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: TS of Guinness

I did the same search when I was looking for phones. I looked at Treos and Iphones as well as BB. What sold me on the BB was that they had the least bugs and the best for push email. Of course you're going to get a biased opinion here!

Are you looking for a phone with more email capabilities or organizer ones?