Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
dani77
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Stuck in GSM...??

Please Login to Remove!

My, my it has been a week now. I went to bed one night, everything was fine. Woke up to GSM HE$%!!!!!

The funny thing is, is as soon as I leave my street everything works perfectly. There is no EDGE service in my house, my yard, or my street. As soon as my car hits the cross street, BOOM,I'm hit with 20+ emails etc. I can't even send pics from here (my house)

I'm going to pull my hair out, or smash this phone on the sidewalk. I'm starting to feel like I've bought a $400 brick. I also feel like they are not taking me seriously because I'm just one person. "Hey she can get service down the street, that will suffice, our job is done."

What's funny is I waited atleast 2 days before I even called them to report this. At that time they couldn't find any other problems in my area. How crazy is it, that when I called back after giving them 2 days to resolve the issue, I finally got the "Oh there is a issue with your area now." But a whole week+ to fix it?!?!?

I'm sorry you know maybe this is more of a rant. Has anyone else went through this? I know probably my best option is to wait it out, but it's been a week already. When they finally got it through their heads that it's happening on my street and house only, they told me it could take up to another week!!

So has anyone else been through this? How did you handle it? Should I ask to speak to a supervisor? Is there something I could've touched on the phone myself that has me stuck in GSMville?

The steps they have went through with me already are...
1. Battery pull
2. Mobile Network option to see if it was ON.
3. About option to see what my OS is. (it's 4.2.2) Haven't changed it
4. HRT option to see if any were BOLD, none were.
That's it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this sounds like rambling, I think I'm going through Crackberry withdrawals or something

Last edited by dani77; 04-24-2008 at 09:48 AM..
Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Why not use the UMA feature? Do you have cable or dsl? Do you have a wireless router? Bingo! UMA.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
dani77

Ahh, no wireless router here John. Been meaning to get one, maybe this will make me take that step. It's just very frustrating, up until last Thursday I never had this problem. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
dani77

Wifi is not working, it has that option, there is a signal/location to sign on at, here. Everytime I try to connect to the internet I get this message.

You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result, the browser cannot retrieve any web pages.
Please try again when you are in a different location,or contact your service provider if the problem persists.

I give up.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Is the WiFi icon black/white AND not gray?
Does it show the network's name right next to "T-Mobile?"
From Manage Connections, is the circle right next to WiFi green or yellow?

It could be that the WiFi signal you're able to "see" is secured.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
dani77

Just wanted to come back and say after cooling off, I was able to connect through wifi. Ricpac, it toggles between gray and black.

Right now Mobile Network and Wifi are both yellow. And I'm still stuck in GSM at home, bright side is depending on where I'm standing I can get wifi.

Like right now if I go under Services Status, everything says not connected, until it picks up a wifi signal.

Pictures still won't send, and I haven't bothered with the internet because it takes too long. I'm about to call them and see what's been "done" about it.

This is just getting ridiculous, I don't understand what happened at all. I have all bars when I'm in my house. That may not have anything to do with EDGE or internet signal, but this is getting real old!!

Thanks guys

Last edited by dani77; 04-27-2008 at 08:45 AM..
Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

My first suggestion would be to backup your device and try a fresh firmware install.

Otherwise, do you have a T-Mobile store close by? If so why not take it in and explain what's going on. If for some reason they insist of keeping it for repairs make sure they give you a replacement to use while they work on it. Otherwise you can always give them a call and try to figure it out that way. 1-800-937-8997
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: AT&T

just to make sure that it isn't the device that's failing, log on to t-mobile.com and do a coverage check for your area/address.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
phesoge

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A

Hey I dont know if you tried this, but you might go into a t-mobile sotre and ask to get a new sim card. I had the same issue and went through sme troubleshooting steps. None of them worked. So I just asked for a newsim card and it solved the problem
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
bhoudek

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Default Same problem here

Same thing happened to me. 2 nights ago everything was working fine and when I woke up yesterday morning I only had GSM. Drive 2 blocks west... bam tons of e-mails and full GPRS / EDGE coverage. I spoke to 5 different tech support guys who kept having me try the same fixes trying to rule out my phone as the problem (including having me drive to a t-mobile store to get a new sim card) before they finally concluded there was a problem with the data tower in my area (Which I knew from the beginning but had to convince them). There has been a ticket opened and now I wait....
Closed Thread