Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
aka_tico

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: bell mobility
Default Questions about 8830 world addition

Please Login to Remove!

greetings everyone,
i am new to this forum and have some general questions. i have a 8830v which is from bell mobility. it is on CDMA network. it comes with a sim card that says cdma/tdma to gsm roaming. i am planing to go to Germany in December and have already bought a SIM card from a carrier there. can i use the phone with a local carrier there? do i have to unlock the phone first? also if the phone is dual-mode as i have red does that mean it it will work with sim card from Fido as well? thank you for your help.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Auroraboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Bell Mobility 8830 will not work with North American GSM (i.e. FIDO or Rogers, AT&T etc.), as North American GSM frequencies (850/1900 MHz) are different than those used in Europe and most of rest of world (900/1800 MHz). The 8830 only has the 900/1800 MHz bands for GSM, in addition to the CDMA bands.

A Quad band GSM phone (850/1900 and 900/1800) will work in Canada/USA as well as rest of world where GSM is deployed.

I believe the GSM portion of the Bell 8830 is unlocked (allowing you to use a European carrier SIM card), but I am not 100% sure. You should confirm with Bell. You could also roam with the Bell SIM, using your existing phone number, but will be expensive versus using a local SIM card in Germany (you will obviously have a new phone number while using the German SIM card)

Last edited by Auroraboy; 11-11-2008 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Also, you will not get your push email with the German SIM.
Closed Thread