Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
dcb12

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cellular south
Default Data Issue

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, first time post but i use the sight frequently to resolve issues. I searched for my problem but couldnt find any answers.

I have a BB Pearl, my brother has a BB Curve.
We are staying in Lubbock TX for a month or so.
I had my data for one night, then after that one night, i no longer have data (1x). My brother has a BB Curve and his data works with no problems.

i called my service provider and they said that everything looked fine with my data. They said that her having a curve could be the issue... I"m smelling something not right here..

any suggestions or similar situations?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Welcome, Please don't double post.

You are on a CDMA carrier and I am not sure what number you dial to update roaming. On Verizon it is *228. I suspect that is your issue..
Old 12-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
dcb12

update roaming? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

I just went to Cellular South's website:

Dial *228 to download the latest settings to your mobile phone. After that your phone will have EVDO service any time youxxx8217;re in a Cellular South EVDO coverage area.

You can download the latest settings to your mobile phone from anywhere, even if youxxx8217;re not in a Cellular South EVDO coverage area
Old 12-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
dcb12

thank you Troy. i have no idea what all this mean, but i will give it a shot.. thanks for your effort... sorry for my ignorance..
Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Let us know if it works!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
dcb12

it wont let me call out.. says the call cant be completed..

I am roaming. carrier is in MS
Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb12 View Post
it wont let me call out.. says the call cant be completed..

I am roaming. carrier is in MS
and you are just dialing *228 and pressing the green key?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
dcb12

correct... just says the call cannot be completed. weird i know..

my service says 1x while my bros says 1X..

should there be any difference in our coverage?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
correct... just says the call cannot be completed. weird i know..

my service says 1x while my bros says 1X..

should there be any difference in our coverage?
Do you have a BlackBerry Data plan?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

1x is a slow speed data connection / 1X is a high speed connection. I checked and your phone supports 1X.

I would call customer service back and let them know you can't even call *228
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
dcb12

yes.. like i said.. My data worked the first night i was here and since it has not. i have done nothing with settings. My carrier says everything looks fine. my data works everywhere its suppose to. just this city has a curse on my i guess..

When i dial the number, it says the number cant be completed as dial. Then it says something about altell and gives numbers.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
yes.. like i said.. My data worked the first night i was here and since it has not. i have done nothing with settings. My carrier says everything looks fine. my data works everywhere its suppose to. just this city has a curse on my i guess..

When i dial the number, it says the number cant be completed as dial. Then it says something about altell and gives numbers.
I had the same exact thing happen to a friend of mine and they had to make an change to the account.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #14
dcb12

When i inform them i cant call the *228, will they know automatically know something is wrong?

#646 gives me my detailed minute ussage. It also cant be dialed..
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
dcb12

i just get the feeling the people behind the desk wont have any idea what i'm talking about
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
1x is a slow speed data connection / 1X is a high speed connection. I checked and your phone supports 1X.

I would call customer service back and let them know you can't even call *228
Troy,

1x is NO data. 1X is slow data speed and 1XEV is high data speed.

OP, I agree with troy, check with your carrier and verify it is provisioned with the correct plan.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
dcb12

it says as stated, the call cannot be completed as dialed. Then says something about altel then the numbers 529L
Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #18
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Troy,

1x is NO data. 1X is slow data speed and 1XEV is high data speed.

OP, I agree with troy, check with your carrier and verify it is provisioned with the correct plan.
Thank you. That must be an error on Cell Souths website.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #19
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

This is what I got from the Cellular South Site:

EVDO (High Speed Wireless Data)

EVDO provides you with faster data service that means you get faster downloads, faster uploads and less time waiting in between clicks. And theres no charge for this upgraded network service!

Overview
EVDO service is also known as High Speed Wireless Data. The Revision A version of EVDO is being deployed in major markets in the Cellular South Network over the next year.

The increases in connection speeds allow faster speeds for Mobile Web and BREW access plus much better performances of applications like MobiTV, MobiRadio, Fox Sports Mobile Pro, The Weather Channel, Map Quest Mobile, and many more applications that use streaming data.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is EVDO?
EVDO stands for Evolution, Data-Optimized, and is a wireless industry standard for the transmission of data. EVDO is the next generation for data speeds, replacing the former data technology called 1xRTT. EVDO provides data rates over 10 times faster than the previous data technology.

There are currently two main versions of EVDO: "Release 0" (Rel 0) and "Revision A" (Rev A).

How do I set up EVDO on my phone?
Dial *228 to download the latest settings to your mobile phone. After that your phone will have EVDO service any time youre in a Cellular South EVDO coverage area.

You can download the latest settings to your mobile phone from anywhere, even if youre not in a Cellular South EVDO coverage area.

Where are the EVDO coverage areas?
EVDO coverage will only include selected areas of the Cellular South primary network. Customers will only experience EVDO data speeds while within the EVDO coverage area.

Current Areas covered
Starkville, MS
Memphis, TN
Mississippi Gulf Coast

Additional coverage planned for 2008 (subject to change)
Jackson, MS
Vicksburg, MS
Oxford, MS
Hattiesburg/Laurel, MS
Tupelo, MS

Which mobile phones and PDA/Smartphones are EVDO capable?
Only EVDO capable mobile phones and PDA/Smartphones will be able to take advantage of this service. EVDO Rev A capable mobile phones and PDA/Smartphones are in development now and are planned for release in late 2007 or early 2008.

Manufacturer Model EVDO REL
RIM BB 8830 Y 0
RIM BB 8703e Y 0
RIM BB 7130e Y 0
Motorola V3c Y 0
Motorola V3m Y 0
Motorola K1m Y 0
Motorola L7c Y 0
Motorola Q Y 0
Motorola Z6m Y 0
Motorola V9m Y 0
Palm 700p Y 0
Palm 755p Y 0
UTStarcom 6700 Y 0
UTStarcom 8955 Y 0

The EVDO Rel 0-capable phones can be used anywhere in our Nationwide serving area but will only experience EVDO speed in the service area where EVDO is available, and they will not receive the speeds that EVDO Rev A offers. The EVDO Rev A phones will be available soon.

Do I need to upgrade my mobile phone or PDA/Smartphone to be able to use EVDO Rev A?
If you own one of the enabled devices you will not need to upgrade your mobile phone or PDA/Smartphone to be able to use EVDO Rev A.

Do I need to add a data feature to my account to use EVDO?
No feature is required. You receive the benefit of EVDO at no charge.

What is the difference between 1xRTT, EVDO Rel 0 and EVDO Rev A?
1xRTT is the previous technology offered for data speeds. 1xRTT has typical speeds of 50 to 80 Kbps with peaks exceeding that up to 144 Kbps which is two to three times faster than dial up service.

There are currently two main versions of EVDO: "Release 0" (Rel 0) and "Revision A" (Rev A).

EVDO Rel 0 is the original version of EVDO, and the first to be widely deployed. Rel 0 offers data rates up between 300 and 500 kpbs. This is much faster than the 50-80 Kbps typically offered by the previous technology.

EVDO Rev A is the next generation of EVDO and is 25% faster than Rel 0 offering data between 500 and 800 Kbps. Latency will also go down from around 225 Mbps to about 50 Mbps). EVDO Rev A with increases in connection speeds provides the technology to support real-time voice, video and multimedia applications

If I use EVDO for my company issued mobile phone or PDA/Smartphone, is the company's proprietary data secure traveling over the Cellular South Network?
Cellular South EVDO Rev A service uses existing technology that provides authentication and inherent data protection. Cellular South always recommends you use VPN and firewall software to secure your information.

Will EVDO Rev A work with IP Sec and existing VPN Solutions?
Yes, your VPN product should treat the Cellular South data network exactly as it treats the Internet; however, we recommend business customers test their specific VPN over the Cellular South network before they deploy the service. Cellular South's sales team will work with business customers and VPN providers to enable secure, wireless access to their VPN over the Cellular South Network. Your Cellular South sales representative can provide additional information on VPN access over the Cellular South Network.

Is EVDO Rev A a Wi-Fi service?
No, Cellular South does not currently provide Wi-Fi services. Wi-Fi is a wireless technology utilizing unlicensed spectrum that is provided by hotels, restaurants, and other service providers within a small radius of said business or provider. These areas of connectivity are known as hotspots. Wi-Fi connections also require different hardware that may or may not be built into your PC.

Can I use my mobile phone or PDA/Smartphone as a modem?
Not at this time.

Can I activate the Broadband Modem that came built into my computer?
At this time, no, you can not activate the Broadband Modem that was included/built in with your computer.

What happens if I purchase a new phone after I have downloaded the new settings to my old phone?
If you get a new phone (this includes upgrading your phone or receiving a warranty replacement phone), and you are not receiving EVDO speeds in an EVDO-supported area, send *228 from your mobile phone or PDA/Smartphone to download settings to the phone.

Customer Care
Email: [email address]
Phone: 1-877-CSOUTH1 (276-8841) or *611 from your wireless phone
Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #20
dcb12

so it appears i need to call tomorrow and tell them i"m unable to call these two numbers..
Closed Thread