BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
alophind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cellcom
Default Trying to push mail with Funambol and grps on 8700c - No Message Services Configured

Please Login to Remove!

Hi There ,
I've read that I don't need BB Enterprise Server and data plan if I want to push mails though regular gprs using 3rd party applications like Funambol (do you know anything better?!)

Whenever I try to configure this App I get Alert says "No message services configured. Please activate the BlackBerry Email serivce in order to sync mail messages too".

How do I do that ?

BB 8700 unlocked.
OS 4.2 (will be upgraded to 4.5 soon)

Thank you !
Old 12-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

No data plan = No data of any type including email.
You dont need a BES ( business ) server but you do need a BIS( commercial )service at least.
Basically the message is telling you this.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
alophind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
No data plan = No data of any type including email.
You dont need a BES ( business ) server but you do need a BIS( commercial )service at least.
Basically the message is telling you this.
I have regular data plan (not BB one) because I manage to surf the web using Opera mini , isn't that enough ? (grps)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

No. You will need a BB data plan to be able to access email.

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
alophind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
No. You will need a BB data plan to be able to access email.
Sure ? There are push mail programs for devices like Nokia N95... So there is no 3rd party email application that uses grps (not GPRS) for the BB ?

Same way how I can surf the net using Opera but cannot using the built in browser .
Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
alophind

Sorry for asking again , im newbi here.
If I have internet in the BB (Like gprs and Opera mini)Why I can't use ANY 3rd party application to check mails in my exchange server at work ? (Using regular data plan and not BB data plan?) - I have permission to install any application on the server inorder to check the mails through BB.

Nokia N95 has a program called MailForExchange which does it.
And there is Funambol for IPhone for example.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
pegb856
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Sorry for asking again , im newbi here.
If I have internet in the BB (Like gprs and Opera mini)Why I can't use ANY 3rd party application to check mails in my exchange server at work ? (Using regular data plan and not BB data plan?) - I have permission to install any application on the server inorder to check the mails through BB.

Nokia N95 has a program called MailForExchange which does it.
And there is Funambol for IPhone for example.

Thank you.
There are email applications that will work with standard gprs plans using your TCP settings though neither are push. If you have opera mini working then the gmail app should work, as should flurry mail. Flurry Mail is a generic email aggrigator of sorts and is very simple, but works very well with TCP (or atleast it used to I haven't used straight TCP in over a year).

flurry

Good Luck!

Happy Berrying!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
alophind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegb856 View Post
There are email applications that will work with standard gprs plans using your TCP settings though neither are push. If you have opera mini working then the gmail app should work, as should flurry mail. Flurry Mail is a generic email aggrigator of sorts and is very simple, but works very well with TCP (or atleast it used to I haven't used straight TCP in over a year).

flurry

Good Luck!
Thank you very much.
So just to be sure , There is no way to get email pushed to the blackberry from exchangeserver even by using 3rd party application and generic data plan ? What does Funamblo does then ?

Thank you for your patience
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
el_sheepo

Model: 8820
Carrier: -

I't not quite true that you need BIS (or BES) for e-mail on a BlackBerry.

What you indeed need BIS (or BES) for is the BlackBerry push mail service, i.e. the e-mail client ("white envelope" icon) that comes with every BlackBerry. There is no way to get this without a special BlackBerry plan.

But there are a whole bunch of third party e-mail applications (including Funambol, Gmail app, Yahoo Go!, Tiggit; some are free, some are not) that will work with a regular data plan.

The Funambol e-mail client you mentioned, actually DOES offer of push mail. Technically, it's not the same thing as BIS, but it works the same way (as does IMAP idle or MS Exchange on a Palm or Windows Mobile phone). I set up my Gmail account with it, only took a few minutes (or even seconds) to show new mail. Unfortunately, it only offers basic notification support (you can't configure a ringtone, LED blinking or anything like that), so its push mail capability seems somewhat pointless to me.

I hope this helps a bit with the e-mail confusion ;).

P.S.: If you use Gmaill, I would recommend the Gmail app because of its extremely nice user interface. It "polls" for new e-mail every 20 minutes, which is technically not push mail but the effect is pretty close (most e-mail addresses will be delayed by up to 15 minutes even with BIS). It has fully customizable notification for new mail (ringtones, vibration, LED notification) just like BIS has, so it's the next-best thing in my opinion.

Last edited by el_sheepo; 12-29-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
alophind

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_sheepo View Post
I't not quite true that you need BIS (or BES) for e-mail on a BlackBerry.

What you indeed need BIS (or BES) for is the BlackBerry push mail service, i.e. the e-mail client ("white envelope" icon) that comes with every BlackBerry. There is no way to get this without a special BlackBerry plan.

But there are a whole bunch of third party e-mail applications (including Funambol, Gmail app, Yahoo Go!, Tiggit; some are free, some are not) that will work with a regular data plan.

While the above mentioned Gmail app is very nice for Gmail users, it doesn't offer true push e-mail - not yet, at least. It "polls" for new mail every 20 minutes, however, which results in a similar experience as BIS and will probably be enough for many people (including me).

The Funambol e-mail client you mentioned, actually DOES offer of push mail. Technically, it's not the same thing as BIS, but it works the same way (as does IMAP idle or MS Exchange on a Palm or Windows Mobile phone). I set up my Gmail account with it, only took a few minutes (or even seconds) to show new mail. Unfortunately, it only offers basic notification support (you can't configure a ringtone, LED blinking or anything like that), so its push mail capability seems somewhat pointless to me.

I hope this helps a bit with the e-mail confusion ;).

P.S.: If you use Gmaill, I would recommend the Gmail app because of its extremely nice user interface. It also has fully customizable notification for new mail (ringtones, vibration, LED notification).
Thank you.
I need to "push" (or pull) mail from exchange server i have.
I guess i need to install the funambol server side program?

Did you use that or the beta web site ?

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
el_sheepo

Model: 8820
Carrier: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Thank you.
I need to "push" (or pull) mail from exchange server i have.
I guess i need to install the funambol server side program?

Did you use that or the beta web site ?

Thank you.
I used the web site (my.funambol.com). Sorry, I missed the fact that you use an exchange server - if my.funambol.com does't support this, I guess you will indeed have to set up your own Funambol server (which I have no experience with).
Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
alophind

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_sheepo View Post
I used the web site (my.funambol.com). Sorry, I missed the fact that you use an exchange server - if my.funambol.com does't support this, I guess you will indeed have to set up your own Funambol server (which I have no experience with).
Hope ill get it working
Closed Thread