Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
cedwards222

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Media Player hangs with 1-2 seconds to go

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded to 4.5 .0.127 a few weeks ago. Everything seemed fine except Media Player. It freezes near the end of the first song selected - specifically 1-2 seconds to go. I have tried reading all related threads and formatted the card, deleted the .dat files (BBthumbs) and replaced only the songs on the card but it still happens. The BB will eventually reboot during this freeze. Any help?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
cedwards222

Carrier: Sprint

Fixed!!!

I upgraded to 4.5.0.127 and problem solved.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
tomcat218

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

Help, Please.
I have a relatively new 8130 - I've only had it a couple of weeks - and I'm having this problem. I play one song on media player, it hangs with 2 seconds to go. I forward / pick a 2nd song and the phone reboots when it hits the 2 seconds to go mark.

I've tried using bluetooth / no bluetooth, reformatting the media card, hard reboots...

This is really frustrating. I'm on v4.5.0.127 (as far as I'm aware that came with the phone.)
I've installed /uninstalled several 3rd party apps since getting the phone (and running into the memory leak problem). Best I can do is ~8Gig free.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
tomcat218

Default bumping the topic - still could use some other thoughts

Anyone?
I've reformatted the media card twice, to no avail - if I try to let songs play through, the first one will hang with 1-2 seconds left on the track time; forwarding to another track and letting it play will cause a reboot.

The only work around so far is to physically stop each track before the end and forward it manually - which is not cool.

See previous post, I apparently have the lastest OS. I've only had BB for 3 weeks; I was using a Treo before. I like the BB, but I'm struggling with how to get this glitch fixed and optimize it for my use.

(BTW, if anyone knows how to unlock the GPS...without subscribing to telenav...)
Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

The problem I had was different - my 8830 would freeze/lock. I believe it was related to having the OLDER bbthumbnail.dat files from the older OS. I found and erased them all and allow it to reindex all my music. You could give that a try.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
tomcat218

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anywhere else on the device - other than the media card - where I could be running into the bad .dat files? I've reformatted the media card two different ways (on the phone and in the computer via card reader) to dump those files, with no luck.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Are you copying files from your computer back to the SD card? Are you copying ONLY MP3 (other other media files) and NOT those DAT files?

Strange that it plays fine until.... What format are you music files? I think most if not all of mine are mp3. Also maybe they are too "large" - can't think of the terms for too many, at, bit rate, for the music.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
tomcat218

After the last media card reformatting (via card reader), yes, I very carefully hand picked media files to copy back to the device. I did not copy album folders, just individual song tracks. I only copied .mp3 and .wma files, I didn't put back any pics that I had.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

I guess the next step is to figure out if mp3 or the wma files are the problem. I've never used wma files.

And are they top quality - high bit rate or modest - not that I know if any of this is the problem - just throwing out possibilities.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
tomcat218

All my music files are "best" quality.

I tried re-formatting again tonight.
I used windows media player to sync the files vs. doing a "drag & drop"

I used different music than I'd put on the player before.

Same shit. Media player hangs up with 1 or 2 seconds to go; will not advance to the next song. If I force an advance, it'll reboot at the end of the second song.

My love/hate relationship with this phone is growing.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
tomcat218

Default Found the "gotcha"

I figured it out.
The BB doesn't like .wma files. If I only put mp3's on the phone, media player works like a champ.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
TrueSouthGirl

I can't believe I have to ask such a stupid question, but it seems it may be the answer to my problem. How do I figure out what file type my music is? I ripped my CD's to window's media player then synced them to my phone. I did not have this problem before I upgraded to V4.5 OS
I also used Desktop manager to do a drag and drop of songs from Itunes, had the problem before I did this too.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSouthGirl View Post
I can't believe I have to ask such a stupid question, but it seems it may be the answer to my problem. How do I figure out what file type my music is? I ripped my CD's to window's media player then synced them to my phone. I did not have this problem before I upgraded to V4.5 OS
I also used Desktop manager to do a drag and drop of songs from Itunes, had the problem before I did this too.

Thanks
One way is, in windows media player, right click on the title and select properties. On the file tab, look down at location. You'll see the full path to the file. The portion after the last "/" is the file name, and the portion after the last "." is the file extension. An .mp3 is, of course, and MP3, and so forth.

Or, browse to the folder where the music files are located using my computer or windows explorer. If the files are only on the blackberry and no longer on the computer, set the media card settings on the blackberry to enable mass storage mode, then connect and browse to the folder.

If you have you settings configured to show file extensions, you will see the file extension on the file name. If you don't see file extensions, highlight a file. You may have a box on the left showing file details. If not, right click on the file and look at properties, and file type.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #14
TrueSouthGirl

I formated my card and only put MP3's back on it. Now it works. It's taken me 2 weeks and endless frustration to figure out what to do. Seems to be working fine now after I upgraded to v4.5 Hope that helps
Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
mena3

Model: 8330
Carrier: bell

Wirelessly posted

I have the same problem. Is there any way to change a wma file to mp3? Because most of my music are like yours (ripped cds on windows media too) how did u pick only mp3 files? Did u use desktop manger?
Closed Thread