BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
bdavis524

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon wireless
Default Deleted past calendar entries on both Blackberry Storm and on Outlook 2002

Please Login to Remove!

This is the second time this has happened. Past calender entries are being deleted. I can see them in my Outlook Deleted file but can't figure out why this is happening. I have a new Storm, sync w/ cable and am running Outlook 2002. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this from happening? and how to restore the deleted entries?

I am new to this forum so if I have left out essential information, please let me know. I have searched to see if I could find a similar problem but haven't found one that replicated my situation - unless I just missed it.

Thanks,

Beth
Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

You need to go into your BlackBerry desktop manager and check the settings to make sure you have enabled "Transfer all items."

Synchronize>Configuration>Configure Synch>select calendar>Advanced
Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
bdavis524

Default Thanks for your response..

I went to the Calendar tab under Advanced and don't see anything that says"transfer all files". I see Folder Mapping, Confirmations, Conflict Resoluntion, Filters and Field mapping but couldn't find what you suggested. Am I looking in the wrong place or just missing it?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

I'm using DM 4.2SP2, but they should be more or less the same. Here's the more accurate path:

Synchronize>Configuration>Configure Synch>select calendar>Configure (it's a drop down menu)>Advanced>Date Range tab

Should see 3 options: transfer all scheduled items, transfer only future items, transfer items within a range of days.

Last edited by Trimix; 04-30-2009 at 12:38 AM..
Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
bdavis524

well, I couldn't find anything about date range under Advanced but I did find it under Setup for Calendar and the "transfer all" was checked. So that should have already been happening. Maybe this will help - what's being deleted are appointments on my calendar but only those in the past, not future. So not anything that is set as recurring - those are still there b/c I guess they also have future dates. And also anything that is set as an "all day" appointment (w/o a time) is still in the calendar IF it's a recurring appt. But every other appointment is gone on both the handheld and the desktop from about a week and a half ago backwards. So that doesn't make sense as far as syncing b/c I know I've synced more recently than that. I usually sync every day or every other day. The file log shows this:

On 4/28/2009 9:14 AM
Synchronize Device MemoPad with Microsoft Outlook Notes

First System: Device
Second System: Microsoft Outlook
Second System File Name: MemoPad
Conflict Resolution: Notify

That must be the last sync I did and it looks like it only synced my Memopad? But the appts that are current are synced too so I don't know. And I also don't know how to get a record of any syncs further back that this one...

Maybe it's something in Outlook itself? I thought it was archiving those appts but they're all in the Deleted File, not archived. From the Deleted File, it looks like appts that I did NOT delete intentionally begin around 4/18. I had also noticed that I was getting odd dates in my Tasks setting the start date back to 1972? Here's an example I have copied:
Starts on 10/31/1972, due on 4/14/2009

Do I have a corrupted file? help?!!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Ok sounds like you have the correct settings for Transfer All (I just have an older version of BB DM).

Weird issue that I'm not too sure what's going on. I'm wondering if maybe there's a setting out of place on the Outlook end?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
bulgee98

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

This is a very interesting thread to me because I just had a customer (I'm a rep at a store) come in with the exact same problem you are explaining. This customer's calendar deletes past entries prior than 11 days. Any past entries less than 11 days ago remain until they become 11 days old and then POOF! So, in speaking with a well-informed tech rep, the issue is probably a corrupted entry from Outlook (he uses 2003) that's causing the problem. I'm currently trying this:

I backed up his device and decided to wipe it. Now, I'm going to restore it and place an entry in his calendar more than 11 days in the past. When I did this prior to the wipe, the Berry automatically deleted it. After the wipe and restore, I repeated the process and the Storm did not delete the calendar entry. Not sure if this is a permanent fix but it's something to try.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
diverdena

Carrier: t-mobile

I have had this issue many times in the past. When the device memory starts getting low, hundreds of past calendar entries will be dropped or deleted on the handheld. I never notice this until I try to sync with Outlook and it asks me to confirm the deletion of 347? calendar entries. Up until now, I have always deleted unused programs from the device to free up some space and buy me some time. Also, removing the battery and clearing out the cache are helpful. A media card not so much because it only holds certain types of data--pictures, music, etc., and the device still runs low on space if I'm not very careful. Now, as a longer term solution, I'd like to try getting those old appointments off of my BlackBerry device without changing anything in Outlook. Is it possible to apply a filter in the advanced settings of the sync manager so that only calendar entries within the last month are synced? That way, when (not if) the BB decides to drop a bunch of calendar entries to free up some space, it won't mess up my record of past appointments in Outlook.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
sswyden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Weird! Just happened to me today. Has happened a couple times in the last 2 years. Don't know if it's memory manager run amok or not. Nothing else gone. Found out when I plugged in to PC do my daily sync via DTM, and it said it was about to delete 800 of 1000 calender enties on my Outlook. Cancelled that!. To fix, have to clear calendar on bb via DTM backup/restore>advanced, then resync so the outlook cal copies back down to the bb per your configuration set-up. I'm on MS Office 2003, and 4.2.2 DTM, and 4.5 BB 8830 O/S, vzw.

Thank god I have it set-up to prompt me duing synch'ing, otherwise b'bye calendar!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I think diverdena is on to something here. When the device memory gets low, it starts deleting things. Check your file free and post here:

Options > Status file free
Old 05-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
diverdena

Carrier: t-mobile
Default Anybody know how to use filters?

So, I'm still wondering if anybody can direct me to some resource that will help me to use filters when syncing the calendar so that (for example) only the calendar entries of the last 30 days are sync'd and everything else is left alone. That way I can delete the older entries from my handheld--freeing up that space--and still perform a two-way sync without messing up my calendar in Outlook.
Closed Thread