BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default What is EDGE technology mean and...

Please Login to Remove!

What is EDGE technology and will the 8700 be capable of handling HTML email? I live in Ontario, Canada and would be looking at getting an 8700 with Rogers so just looking into how the 8700 would work for me if I take the plunge and get one.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...B
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Search. Google is your friend.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
TheDarkSheppard

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

Edge is the next Generatation of data connection (GPRS) which Rogers and Fido uses. With Edge Equipment and if the carrier supports EDGE you can down load data up to three times faster. Only Rogers supports EDGE in Canada as far as I know.

Since RIM has not changed it Blackberry system to accomidate HTML emails I would have to say that the 8700 has the same email functionality as every other Blackberry. Allowing HTML emails through to the Blackberry could be a security risk since HTML can harbour viruses.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
BitNetMonkey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Cingular-

Quote:
Building on more than a decade of wireless data experience, Cingular's EDGE technology enables true "third generation" (3G) wireless data services with data speeds typically three times faster than those available on GSM/GPRS networks. Based on GSM, the worldwide standard for cellular communications, EDGE is a software enhancement for Cingular?s General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) data network that can support peak data rates up to 170 kilobits per second with average data rates of 75-135 Kbps.

"Our EDGE rollout demonstrates Cingular's continuing progress and evolution in GSM deployment," said Bill Clift, chief technical officer at Cingular Wireless. "EDGE is recognized as the most economical way to overlay GSM/GPRS to achieve 3G capabilities and we're proud to be the first North American carrier to deliver EDGE-based wireless services to our customers."
I know its cingular, but gives basic information about EDGE.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
SDCABBFAN

Model: 7100g

EDGE = Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution. It has speeds similar to what one would experience with a decent ISDN line. As far as Cingular is concerned though UMTS/HSDPA network officially launches around the same date as the 8700 release.... Which means that its very likely that mid to late Q1 2006 there will be other PDAs that will have Wireless Data Speeds approaching 700kbps.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
seedee12

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCABBFAN
EDGE = Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution. It has speeds similar to what one would experience with a decent ISDN line.
I have a Sony T350P/L laptop with Cingular EDGE builtin and the network speed sucks! Only at full strength ( 5 bars ) do I get any decent throughput, all other times the performance is equivalent to dialup.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
ckeck

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F51D67
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedee12
I have a Sony T350P/L laptop with Cingular EDGE builtin and the network speed sucks! Only at full strength ( 5 bars ) do I get any decent throughput, all other times the performance is equivalent to dialup.
Then something on your computer is messed up

With EDGE PC cards like the Sony Ericsson GC83 and Sierra 775 you can easily reach 30-35 kiloBYTES/sec which is 6-7 times the speed of dial-up.

This I know not only because I work for Cingular but because I use a GC83 EDGE card on a daily basis.
Closed Thread