Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
IMMIN

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Cannot open URLS that have a trailing slash or anything beyond that

Please Login to Remove!

From any email message, cannot open URLS that have a trailing slash or anything beyond that. Only simple urls of the format domain.tld seem to work.

For example,

an email with a link to cnn_com or yahoo_com without any trailing slashes/dirs

will open OK from an email message. However, anything like:

cnn_com/
yahoo_com/story
blackberryforums_com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm

will not be hightlighted as a URL and cannot be opened by the BB browser.

(I'm new so I can't post actual links here but hopefully you get the idea)

Just upgraded to OS .328, tried wiping, etc..no LUCK! Device is on BES if that makes any difference. Verizon says its an issue with the BES???

Anybody have a similar issue or suggestions? My gut feeling is that it is an issue with the new OS, however nobody else has reported this issue. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

I am not a big internet user from the phone. Only on rare occasions do I surf as a necessity. In the middle of 4.7 OS upgrades I encountered this very same issue.

I installed Opera Mini and was able to hit the websites I couldn't hit from the Blackberry browser. Opera Mini was also a bit quicker too. But the matter seemed to correct itself amidst a few more OS upgrades. I have not encountered it since moving into the 5.0 realm.

If you can't fix the issue. Try Opera Mini.

Verizon 9530
Old 11-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
djice
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Ask me.

Just a thought, have you tried changing under options, the type of browser, usually , internet explorer, blackberry, and firefox will all work differently for some reason on the blackberry when browsing different webpages.

But yes i have heard that OperaMini is great, just haven't tested it myself.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
IMMIN

Default Still not working

Thank you XelhaBB and djice for your suggestions.

Opera is great, and use it whenever I need a real browser on BB, but it won't fix the issue which is to open a url direct from the message itself, without having to highlight, copy and paste into the browser.

Also, changing the browser type seems to have no effect.

This seems like such a basic/vital function of a Blackberry device.

Nobody else seems to have this problem, but they'd be on here if they did. Its frustrating to have to take 10 extra steps for something that uses to take 0 time at all. Multiply that by several hundred emails, and the wasted time just adds up. Thanks again for your suggestions, and PLEASE keep your ideas coming.

I'm sure we can crack this nut!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Is this just happening with email that comes to you as plain text? Does it also happen with html emails?

Here's where I'm going. If it is just with text email, I'm wondering if the formatting is running the URL into the text such that the blackberry doesn't see the URL as a URL but sees it as text.

If that's not what's oing on, then I'm stumped. Have you experimented at all? Say send some test messages to yourself with URLs and see if you can cause the problem and then fix it?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
IMMIN

Default Text/Html/SMS/Pin

Hello Ira...thank you for your suggestions!

I've experimented with pretty much every option available. Changing message format to html or back has no effect on the issues.

Tried emails through BES/Yahoo/Gmail/SMS/PIN. They ALL have the issue. This indicates to me that it is NOT a BES issue as Verizon suggests, since PIN and SMS bypass the server. Also SMS bypasses BlackBerry, so its not an issue there.

It pretty much has to be an issue with the device itself, or the OS.

Grrr...very frustrating!!! Anybody else upgrade to 5.0.0.328???

Thanks again for all your ideas!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

For what it's worth, a guy in the office is having the problem with his Storm. I don't know if it is Storm I or II, or what OS. But it is BIS email. And a hard reset seems to correct it.

The long story is I had sent him a URL for a news alert from my blackberry. Just the link, nothing else in the body of the message. When I saw him later and asked about it, he told me he isn't able to open any links I send him. I took a look. It seems I'm the only one who sends him links, so I didn't think it is me. But, yeah, he could not click on the link. There is no menu item for get link, or anything like that. I assume the technique is that the user should be able to "click" the link.

Today I told him I had searched around and found one person who also had the problem but I hadn't found a solution. He then told me it is working now, so I took a look again. Same email that we looked at before, but now he touches the link and it highlights, and he can tap it and it opens.

I asked if he done anything, a battery pull or what, since before. He said he is using quickpull, so a reset via quickpull seems to be the likely candidate for the difference between yesterday and today. Unless it is some software bug that comes and goes independent of a reset. We'll see.