BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
dmaria
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7105T
Default 7105t firmware

Please Login to Remove!

Somewhere on RIM's website, I saw a reference to 4.1 firmware that enable using bluetooth to sync with a computer. Since T-Mobile has crippled the bluetooth functions of the 7105t, I would like to be able to do this. Has anyone tried this or know anything about it?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It is not out yet and is not even being tested yet within T-Mobile. Sometime in early 2006 is my best guess.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
dmaria

Does this firmware exist and does anyone know if it will be available for this model?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I guess you didn't like my answer
Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
pilotboy72

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaria
Somewhere on RIM's website, I saw a reference to 4.1 firmware that enable using bluetooth to sync with a computer. Since T-Mobile has crippled the bluetooth functions of the 7105t, I would like to be able to do this. Has anyone tried this or know anything about it?
What Bluetooth functionality has T-Mo crippled on the phone exactly?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It works exactly as advertised...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
elguevon

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
It works exactly as advertised...
I'm not sure how its technically "advertised" but features normally found on other Bluetooth phones (i.e. remote address book access) are DISABLED for security reasons on the 7100 series phones by BLACKBERRY...not T-Mobile. It's a limitation of the current Blackberry OS (4.0.x). I've read with Blackberry OS v4.1 Bluetooth features that were disabled are now optionally enabled by the user. Again, this is what I've read and the only current Blackberry device that is publically running this v4.1 is the 8700 series.

It's becoming more common place for cars to include Bluetooth technology that enables drivers to use their existing cell phone to make calls utilizing the cell's address book.

See my response to a similar post in a different thread that details this limitation:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=18058

Hope this helps....
Old 12-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguevon
Again, this is what I've read and the only current Blackberry device that is publically running this v4.1 is the 8700 series.
And the 7100i and the 7130e...

And you must remember that the BlackBerry is primarily used by businesses and not enthusiasts. Not one of the 1000 internel BB customers has ever requested additional BT capability. Or ringtones or themes, but that's a different story.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
dmaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
And the 7100i and the 7130e...

And you must remember that the BlackBerry is primarily used by businesses and not enthusiasts. Not one of the 1000 internel BB customers has ever requested additional BT capability. Or ringtones or themes, but that's a different story.
I will agree that most business people are not interested in ringtones or themes, but functionality is the primary reason most of these people purchase a phone of this nature. Now, if anyone were to tell me that synchronizing a Blackberry via Bluetooth, as opposed to having to have a cable on hand for every computer you work with (I have 3) does not come under the heading of functional, then I will argue the point.

All 3 of my computers have Bluetooth because of my PDA and a Razor V3. I would either have to carry 3 cables everywhere I go or have 9 cables. But because Cingular decided not to cripple bluetooth, I can install ringtones, sychronize my phonebook with Outlook and transfer photos to and from the Razor - all without a cable and without going thru Cingular. And if you think to convince me that wireless carriers have nothing to do with disabling these functions, then check out the class action suit that Verizon just lost for this very reason.

Finally, I would like to quote "To each, his own". I have lived with a briefcase full of cables for many years, and now the technology is here to eliminate that. The only reason it is not fully implemented is because they would like 25 cents to send a picture or $2.50 for a ringtone or $2.00 for wallpaper.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

OK, we had this exact same discussion when the 7100 came out. Verizon advertised full BT functionality and didn't provide it. RIM never advertised it. Doesn't matter. Boy, were there a lot of threads about this.

If you don't like the functionality, you can always find something else...
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #11
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

The functionality of these Blackberies is so limited anyways that I don't even feel like it is a PDA, rather it is an email device. It just happens to have an address book to make emailing and the occassional phone call easier. If you need a "real" PDA phone look at Windows Mobile or a Treo. The Blackberry's simplicity is its best feature.
Closed Thread