BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Default Should a Blackberry Addict like me not consider the Treo 700w?

Please Login to Remove!

Treo has:

1.EVDO
2.Skype
3.Great Form Factor
4. Wifi with SD Card
5. Good battery
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player
7. Streaming TV
8. Email-able Voice notes

vs.

1. Poor Screen
2. Poor/ Keyboard less wider than the 8700 (this is a killer for me)..thoughts from people who have used both would be helpful
3. Limited push email. (may change with Windows update)

Dont know when the 8700v with EVDO or the next BIG BB on EVDO will come or when the Q will be released

Should I go with the Treo 700w or wait ?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: AT&T

I'd absolutely wait. I switched to the 8700 from the Treo 650 and from reviews (e.g., Wall Street Journal's Walter Mosberg) the Treo 700w isn't as good as the Treo 650.

Ironically, I'd prefer the Treo keyboard, but I'm used to the 8700 now.
Screen quality is superb on the BlackBerry.
And nothing is quicker for e-mail.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
mortgageguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by athreya
Treo has:

1.EVDO
2.Skype
3.Great Form Factor
4. Wifi with SD Card
5. Good battery
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player
7. Streaming TV
8. Email-able Voice notes

vs.

1. Poor Screen
2. Poor/ Keyboard less wider than the 8700 (this is a killer for me)..thoughts from people who have used both would be helpful
3. Limited push email. (may change with Windows update)

Dont know when the 8700v with EVDO or the next BIG BB on EVDO will come or when the Q will be released

Should I go with the Treo 700w or wait ?
The Treo 650 ruined me from ever trying a PalmOne product again. It could have been such a great device. But in the rush to make money they released a piece of crap.

You have to ask yourself - Do you want a stable device (Blackberry) or an unstable, crash frequently, lose all your info, bling bling device? (Treo)
Old 01-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default but

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
I'd absolutely wait. I switched to the 8700 from the Treo 650 and from reviews (e.g., Wall Street Journal's Walter Mosberg) the Treo 700w isn't as good as the Treo 650.

Ironically, I'd prefer the Treo keyboard, but I'm used to the 8700 now.
Screen quality is superb on the BlackBerry.
And nothing is quicker for e-mail.
isnt the treo suppose to be atleast an inch in width LESS than the 8700 and the keys smaller? then how do you say the keyboard is better?

who knows when the next gen BB comes out?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
gadgetman

Try to resist.

1. EVDO - EDGE is really fast too. It's the processor that counts.
2. Skype - do you really NEED it?
3. Great Form Factor - but not gorgeous like the 8700
4. Wifi with SD Card - big deal!
5. Good battery - which the 8700 also has
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player - granted
7. Streaming TV - not really - unusable in practise - nice gimmick in theory though
8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

You forgot to mention the camera which I would like although I believe the one on the 700 is pretty horrible. Also voice command would ne nice.

Now for the Treo 700 negatives.
1. No instant push e-mail.
2. Horrendous e-mail interface - just ridiculous.
3. Bad screen.
4. Active sync problems galore.
5. Two handed operation.
6. Too many clicks to get things done.
7. No instant push e-mail
8. It's not a Blackberry.
9. No instant push e-mail.
10. EVDO means using Verizon and at some point in the future Sprint. Can't use Verizon and Sprint phones overseas.

Last edited by gadgetman; 01-28-2006 at 10:20 PM..
Old 01-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetman
Try to resist.

1. EVDO - EDGE is really fast too. It's the processor that counts.
2. Skype - do you really NEED it?
3. Great Form Factor - but not gorgeous like the 8700
4. Wifi with SD Card - big deal!
5. Good battery - which the 8700 also has
6. Good third party software incl MP3 player - granted
7. Streaming TV - not really - unusable in practise - nice gimmick in theory though
8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

You forgot to mention the camera which I would like although I believe the one on the 700 is pretty horrible. Also voice command would ne nice.

3. Bad screen.
5. Two handed operation.
10. EVDO means using Verizon and at some point in the future Sprint. Can't use Verizon and Sprint phones overseas.
i mentioned the email. One handed operation appears to be quite decent according to lots of users. And the 700w is Dual Nam (which means you can use it overseas) for it will support two phone numbers.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
tfaz1

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

[QUOTE=gadgetman]8. Email-able Voice notes - which you'll rarely use - how many have you received?

I'd love voice notes, period. Lots of times I'm on the phone while driving and want to capture some information, but can't type. Taking a brief voice note was a great solution in those situations.

Is there a 3rd party app that brings audio capture to the BB?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
gadgetman

Athreya: I must admit I had never head of Dual Nam before. However, if the phone is CDMA rather than GSM, two numbers will not help when overseas. You need a GSM phone for overseas use, which means no Verizon or Sprint, which means no EVDO.

I believe that you may be dangerously close to defecting to the other side.

Last edited by gadgetman; 01-29-2006 at 01:37 AM..
Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default hi

Quote:
Athreya: I must admit I had never head of Dual Nam before. However, if the phone is CDMA rather than GSM, two numbers will not help when overseas. You need a GSM phone for overseas use, which means Verizon or Sprint, which means no EVDO.

I believe that you may be dangerously close to defecting to the other side.

theres CDMA all over the world..no EVDO though

still not defected but BB's incremental changes with 8700 broke my heart.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=tfaz1]
Quote:

I'd love voice notes, period. Lots of times I'm on the phone while driving and want to capture some information, but can't type. Taking a brief voice note was a great solution in those situations.

Is there a 3rd party app that brings audio capture to the BB?

we probably never used it for it wasnt there! imagine emailing while you are driving with your voice! no TPS for BB voice as far as i know
Old 01-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
udontknowjack

Model: 9000

I've been playing with the 700w now for a couple of weeks and I have an 8700. I will keep the 8700 and give the 700w back to Verizon. Edge is not nearly as fast as EVDO so if internet speed is important then that is something to think about about. Other than that, for email and PIM sync, the BB is still the most solid by far. For me, I don't care about a cammera or mp3 player. (if you play a lot of music, battery suffers) I don't think the 700w has any better of battery life than the 8700. Actually, It seems a littl worse to me. I can't go 48 hours on my 700 but I can with my 8700. Sreaming video, who cares. It is a gimick. Screen is two small and video is too choppy. Lastly, keyboard on Treo is simply too small for me and I hate a stylus. I can do everything with one hand with a BB but not with the Treo 700.

Stick with Blackberry! Still the best thing on the market for wireless email and PIM sync.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
udontknowjack

Oh, BTW, you asked when next gen of BB coming out. I heard there is a new style device due out late this summer. Don't know how reliable but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:34 PM   #13
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
I've been playing with the 700w now for a couple of weeks and I have an 8700. I will keep the 8700 and give the 700w back to Verizon. Edge is not nearly as fast as EVDO so if internet speed is important then that is something to think about about. Other than that, for email and PIM sync, the BB is still the most solid by far. For me, I don't care about a cammera or mp3 player. (if you play a lot of music, battery suffers) I don't think the 700w has any better of battery life than the 8700. Actually, It seems a littl worse to me. I can't go 48 hours on my 700 but I can with my 8700. Sreaming video, who cares. It is a gimick. Screen is two small and video is too choppy. Lastly, keyboard on Treo is simply too small for me and I hate a stylus. I can do everything with one hand with a BB but not with the Treo 700.

Stick with Blackberry! Still the best thing on the market for wireless email and PIM sync.

thanks...i feel the treo keyboard is small as well...but evdo and skype alone seem to make it worth it. No?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
udontknowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by athreya
thanks...i feel the treo keyboard is small as well...but evdo and skype alone seem to make it worth it. No?
For me no, not worth it. EVDO maybe but I don't do much browsing wirelessly so not really worth it. I guess it depends what you really want the device for. I need to get my mail wirelessly and have decent phone. The 8700 does that wonderfully. And I like the wider screen and when I do browse, the BB renders the screens to fit better. With the Treo I have to scroll left and right.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:40 AM   #15
mafoe

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

here I found a good source

http://strom.wordpress.com/2006/01/1...uy-a-treo-700w

cheers marco
Old 01-29-2006, 01:42 AM   #16
gadgetman

I recommend the review in the following thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=105733

The 700 definitely has its strong points but I would never give up my 8700. I absolutely LOVE my 8700.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I've used Pocket PC WM5 OS and it's a huge improvement but still can't compete with a Treo 650 Palm or BB. My top 2 devices:

1. BB 8700 - Best I've used and with push email, I'm definitely a CrackBerry addict!
2. Treo 650 Palm - I loved my Treo 650 and rarely had problems with it. But, my BB NEVER has problems. I will say that if...eeek!... the whole BB lawsuit thing were to go South and service did shut off, I guess I would go with a Treo 700.... but I wouldn't be happy about it! lol
Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
jg70124
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: Cin

Quote:
.You forgot to mention the camera which I would like although I believe the one on the 700 is pretty horrible. Also voice command would ne nice.

3. Bad screen.
5. Two handed operation.
I've used Treos and 8700's extensively. Here's what I'd say to you:
- Treo's camera is not great, but for snaps and reminders, it's great. And it's certainly better than the 8700's camera.
1. Instant push email is absolutely available using the 3rd party email app Chatter (which is far superior to the built-in email package anyway). And it has the additional advantage of staying in sync with your POP or IMAP server (which is not possible with the BB unless you have access to a corporate BES server).
2. This is a matter of preference. The Treo's email interface is much more similar to Outlook's than is the 8700 - and is far superior in my mind.
3. Disagree - the Treo screen has greater resolution and similar brightness to the BB's. It can show much more text at much smaller sizes. For instance, you can see whole web pages formatted as they would be on your PC, not in some jumbled mess caused by IE emulation or lack of HTML support.
4. Yes. The Treo is much better for independent users who don't have access to corporate infrastructure. In fact, it's a far superior device to the 8700 in that case.
5&6. Hmm. Perhaps a matter of getting used to it - I found the Treo's interface to be more intuitive, easier to navigate with one hand, and requiring fewer steps to get things done.
8. Indeed not. And so it will continue to function should the blackberry network be shut down if RIM loses it's patent case.
10. Correct - CDMA phones don't work outside the US and carribbean. But Sprint provides a GSM SIM with your number that you can use in an unlocked world phone when traveling. Or, you can get the GSM version and use it on Cingular's or TMO's networks.

Obviously, I prefer the Treo. But I am now a BB user for one reason and one reason only - unlimted international data plans for US$20/month (TMO) and Cingular US$30/month (Cingular). With the GSM Treo, you have to pay .0015-.002 per kb, which can add up in a hurry.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #19
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default What you say is factually incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg70124
I've used Treos and 8700's extensively. Here's what I'd say to you:
- Treo's camera is not great, but for snaps and reminders, it's great. And it's certainly better than the 8700's camera.
1. Instant push email is absolutely available using the 3rd party email app Chatter (which is far superior to the built-in email package anyway). And it has the additional advantage of staying in sync with your POP or IMAP server (which is not possible with the BB unless you have access to a corporate BES server).
2. This is a matter of preference. The Treo's email interface is much more similar to Outlook's than is the 8700 - and is far superior in my mind.
3. Disagree - the Treo screen has greater resolution and similar brightness to the BB's. It can show much more text at much smaller sizes. For instance, you can see whole web pages formatted as they would be on your PC, not in some jumbled mess caused by IE emulation or lack of HTML support.
4. Yes. The Treo is much better for independent users who don't have access to corporate infrastructure. In fact, it's a far superior device to the 8700 in that case.
5&6. Hmm. Perhaps a matter of getting used to it - I found the Treo's interface to be more intuitive, easier to navigate with one hand, and requiring fewer steps to get things done.
8. Indeed not. And so it will continue to function should the blackberry network be shut down if RIM loses it's patent case.
10. Correct - CDMA phones don't work outside the US and carribbean. But Sprint provides a GSM SIM with your number that you can use in an unlocked world phone when traveling. Or, you can get the GSM version and use it on Cingular's or TMO's networks.

Obviously, I prefer the Treo. But I am now a BB user for one reason and one reason only - unlimted international data plans for US$20/month (TMO) and Cingular US$30/month (Cingular). With the GSM Treo, you have to pay .0015-.002 per kb, which can add up in a hurry.

You are factually wrong.
1. There is no Chatter mail for Treo 700w. On the website, Marc, their developer has categoriclaly said that he doesnt plan to develop one for it.

2. CDMA is available: In India Reliance and BSNL offer it, it is offered in parts of Latin America, Africa and Europe.

3. The 700w is supposed to be Palm's answer to those who wanted to be on their corporate infrastructure and didnt have BBs.

4. Any thoughts on the keyboard?

5.Screen: I thought on treo one has to scroll instead of having to scroll sideways.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
birdiebo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I had the opportunity to compare my daughter's Treo 700 with my new 8700, and it seemed to me that web-browsing was faster and easier on the 8700. So far, no problems whatsoever with the 8700...or with the Cingular service!
Closed Thread