Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default My 8700c has an identity crisis

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I currently am using an 8700c, unlocked, on the T-Mobile USA network, running Vodafone package 4.1.0.211. I also enabled the O2, Orange, and Vodafone themes.

Enjoy!

Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

nice...i may have to download some themes on my new 8700 which arrived today compliments of Amazon!

After the rebate, my total net cost is -$0.01
They actually paid me one cent to take delivery of the thing...how could I refuse?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Oh, that did it dc/dc, you just haaaaad to rub it in! After all that trouble I had yesterday trying to get that to work, you go and post some killer pics just to get me going again! DAMN!

Ok, now that I am over that, I am going to try again, but this time by installing the Vodafone package first. Now, just to be sure, is it a simple process? I assume you did it with no issues? Are there things to be wary of? Will it affect radio signal? Will it affect anything? If something goes wrong is it easy to revert back to original settings?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Oh, that did it dc/dc, you just haaaaad to rub it in! After all that trouble I had yesterday trying to get that to work, you go and post some killer pics just to get me going again! DAMN!

Ok, now that I am over that, I am going to try again, but this time by installing the Vodafone package first. Now, just to be sure, is it a simple process? I assume you did it with no issues? Are there things to be wary of? Will it affect radio signal? Will it affect anything? If something goes wrong is it easy to revert back to original settings?
:P

I had no issues at all, and out of the loads I have used on my 8700, the Vodafone one seems to be the best. Just follow all the instructions in the 4.x upgrade thread and you will be good to go. And yes, it is easy to go back if you need. Be sure and back up your device before loading though.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Seattle18

I ran the intall file on my PC, then opened the DM but nothing seemed to happen. Should something have ocurred on the DM portion?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Can we get these themes OTA?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
sedated
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
:P

I had no issues at all, and out of the loads I have used on my 8700, the Vodafone one seems to be the best. Just follow all the instructions in the 4.x upgrade thread and you will be good to go. And yes, it is easy to go back if you need. Be sure and back up your device before loading though.
Do you mean the Vodafone software or theme is the best, and why? I am just curious since I am new to Blackberries.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
Seattle18

WOOOOOOW! I just installed the Vodafone build and unlocked the O2, Vodafone and Orange themes! AWESOME! Everything went very smoothly. During the upgrade it backed up my personal settings and reinstalled them, so when it was finished I looked at the BB and it still had my custom MacBerry theme and icons on it, so I wasn;t sure if it took. But when I went to the Themes section, all four (O2 has List and Icon) new ones were there. They all look great, too. Kinda makes me upset that Cingular's looks so crappy compared to them. Not sure which one is my fav yet - will take some time. But since they are all so different, I will probably rotate through all three icon versions, plus my MacBerry version. BIG thanks to dc/dc for his help through this - it was well worth it!

(BTW - The Vodafone is cool because it has the name of each program show on the top just under the Cingular label instead of at the bottm of the screen when you scroll through them...

Also, several new background colored images appear in the Pictures section as well - very nice!)

Last edited by Seattle18; 01-31-2006 at 03:31 PM..
Old 01-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated
Do you mean the Vodafone software or theme is the best, and why? I am just curious since I am new to Blackberries.
Software.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
WOOOOOOW! I just installed the Vodafone build and unlocked the O2, Vodafone and Orange themes! AWESOME! Everything went very smoothly. During the upgrade it backed up my personal settings and reinstalled them, so when it was finished I looked at the BB and it still had my custom MacBerry theme and icons on it, so I wasn;t sure if it took. But when I went to the Themes section, all four (O2 has List and Icon) new ones were there. They all look great, too. Kinda makes me upset that Cingular's looks so crappy compared to them. Not sure which one is my fav yet - will take some time. But since they are all so different, I will probably rotate through all three icon versions, plus my MacBerry version. BIG thanks to dc/dc for his help through this - it was well worth it!
(BTW - The Vodafone is cool because it has the name of each program show on the top just under the Cingular label instead of at the bottm of the screen when you scroll through them...)
Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
sghemati

Model: 8300
Carrier: vodafone
Default no carrier themes

Hi,
Loaded the same package (4.1.0.211), checked in my themes, and didn't "get" them (only new pics for home screen image),
Checked in my apploader directory, and don't get .alx themes (i.e. Vodafone or Orange),
Any hints / help / advise? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sghemati
Hi,
Loaded the same package (4.1.0.211), checked in my themes, and didn't "get" them (only new pics for home screen image),
Checked in my apploader directory, and don't get .alx themes (i.e. Vodafone or Orange),
I have to step out for an hour or so, so unless you get it resolved before then, I will guide you when I get back.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Hi,
You won't find alx files just for the themes. You will need to enable them in the file "blackberry.alx".

See this thread for all the info:
http://blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24485
Old 01-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIdad
nice...i may have to download some themes on my new 8700 which arrived today compliments of Amazon!

After the rebate, my total net cost is -$0.01
They actually paid me one cent to take delivery of the thing...how could I refuse?

You signed up for both voice and data plans?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #15
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezorn26
You signed up for both voice and data plans?
I believe you have to sign up for a 2 year contract (voice + data) to get this deal.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
sghemati

Model: 8300
Carrier: vodafone

Great! Thanks! Was a bit 'delicate' (first time I did the editing in notepad), but worked! Take care
Old 01-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Great! Thanks! Was a bit 'delicate' (first time I did the editing in notepad), but worked! Take care
No prob. Happy to help.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:57 AM   #18
sabesh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Thx all! I managed to get the themes unlocked. I did get an "Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error" message after the bootup (after modifying & loading the blackberry.alx file). I clicked "OK" on the dialog box and haven't gotten the message again. All 4 themes are unlocked and work perfectly. I did not get any new pictures 'though (not sure what I'm doing wrong). Here are the homescreens if anyone else is thinking about trying this:

Last edited by sabesh; 02-01-2006 at 01:08 AM..
Old 02-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #19
Seattle18

Check out my two modified themes, the MacBerry BlackBerry and the Vodafone with the White BBTiles background:

Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #20
sedated
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

A couple questions.

Is there any way to get these themes as OTA install?

Is there any way to use a custom icon set with any theme or does it have to be hard coded into the theme what icons it uses?

Any help would be great.
Closed Thread