BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
blackberry328
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Default How to transfer contacts from sim card to bb7290?

Please Login to Remove!

I tried to play around with it but I don't think there is an option that can allow me to do it. Also, if I leave the phone numbers on the sim card, it wouldn't show me who is calling but just the number. Do I have to add back all the numbers to the outlook contact lists in order to get the numbers work the way they should?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Within contacts select sim phonebook. Then select copy all to address book.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

*Edited*

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 02-17-2006 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: oops
Old 02-17-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
blackberry328

Thanks but is there anyway that I can tell which are e-mail addresses and which are phone numbers directly from the list without viewing them? Like now there are two entries for each person that has an e-mail and a phone number and I don't want to view it everytime to figure out which is which
Old 02-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
PhoenixStorm

Model: 9000
Carrier: tmobile

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You have a couple of options. First you can manually add an e to the end of each email entry. Second you can add theEmail address to the phone contact then delete the other entry. Really no need to have them seperate.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

I fought this for a day or so, and then I just copied everything from the sim card. I then sync'd it up with outlook and used outlook to merge phone numbers with emails, etc. and then re-sync'd it. Thats about the only way to do it off of the blackberry so you save your thumbs for more important things like typing.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
blackberry328

oh ic.........I also found that if a person has multiple e-mail addresses will come up as two entries. Now if I choose no duplicate and merge all the stuff together on outlook, would that solve the problem?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
mayor111
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7105T

Here is the way I trained my 20 Blackberry users to arrange (or rearrange) their Contacts list:

(Keep in mind, all my users were Cell Phone users, and then were converted over to Blackberry - so this should cover most Blackberry rollouts).

1) Copy all of your Cell Phone contacts to your SIM card (we use T-Mobile)
2) Remove the SIM card from your Cell Phone and insert it into your Blackberry
3) Power on your Blackberry and let it detect all your SIM card properties (cell number, SIM ID number, etc)
4) Now open your Blackberry Address Book and open the "OPTIONS" menu from within that area
5) Select the option that allows you to open the SIM CARD Address Book
6) Once the SIM card Address Book is displayed, open the OPTIONS menu again, and select the option to COPY ALL TO ADDRESS BOOK
7) This will copy all your old Cell Phone Contacts in the Address Book on your Blackberry
8 ) Now, sync your Blackberry via the Desktop Manager - MAKE SURE YOU EDIT THE Desktop Manager SETTINGS SO YOUR BLACKBERRY CAN UPDATE YOUR EMAIL SYSTEM CONTACTS. In other words, (as an example, I use Exchange 2003) so I have my Desktop Manager setup so my Blackberry can add Contacts to my Outlook client, and vice versa
9) Now all your Cell Phone Contacts are in your Outlook Contacts list.
10) You now need to spend a good amount of time (depending how many Contacts you have) organizing your Contacts list from WITHIN YOUR EMAIL CLIENT - not from within your Blackberry.
11) Dont have multiple listing for the same person like "John's Home" and "John's Cell" - that defeats the organization features the Blackberry offers.
12) Create a NEW contact for John Smith - and then under that add John's Email, his home number and his cell number.
13) Do this for ALL your Contacts. Yes it will take time - but you will thank me later
14) In your Email Client - You MUST now go and DELETE all the John Cell and John Home listings. You dont need them anymore because the John Smith listing will have all that information anyway.
15) Once you have condensed all your contacts, you now need to resync your Blackberry again via your Desktop Manager
16) MAKE SURE YOUR Desktop Manager IS SETUP SO YOUR EMAIL CLIENT "WINS" OVER YOUR BLACKBERRY WHEN CONDUCTING A SYNC
17) Now when you connect your Blackberry to your Desktop Manager - it will ask you if you want to DELETE all the old Cell Phone type of Contacts and also do you want to ADD all your new Contacts - say YES

...and viola - you now have:

1) Your old Cell Phone contacts in your Blackberry
2) You now have condensed and organized your email Contacts list
3) Your Blackberry will now give you the option to EMAIL, CALL HOME or CALL MOBILE when you select John Smith in your Address Book.

What more can you ask for...

I hope this helps!

Mayor111
Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
stripesace

thats pretty much what i did!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

I think that's what happen to me, when sync the outlook back to the handheld, the handheld allow duplicate entry and it will mess it up.

So what I did was after I re-orgainize the entry in outlook, I use desktop manager to delete the address book on my handheld and sync outlook back to the empty address book, that way I will have an exact duplicate on the handheld.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8705g
Default This is probably the best solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR900RR
I think that's what happen to me, when sync the outlook back to the handheld, the handheld allow duplicate entry and it will mess it up.

So what I did was after I re-orgainize the entry in outlook, I use desktop manager to delete the address book on my handheld and sync outlook back to the empty address book, that way I will have an exact duplicate on the handheld.

...as I was having the same problem... But I can't help but figure that I, nor others I asked (in person, not on the forum) know which option I should have used...Sync or Import, which would not have left numbers on the phone that do not belong there.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8705g
Default Outlook to merge...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesace
I fought this for a day or so, and then I just copied everything from the sim card. I then sync'd it up with outlook and used outlook to merge phone numbers with emails, etc. and then re-sync'd it. Thats about the only way to do it off of the blackberry so you save your thumbs for more important things like typing.

I have to learn Outlook.. LOL Is it easy. I imported all my addy's from Yahoo mail. Then all phone numbers from BB contacts. Then I manually combined. I did not know they could be merged. But I imagine that the names would have to be IDENTICAL in every respect for that to be done anyway, huh?

but your post helps. thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
stripesace

Yes, on the ones where the names were absolutely identical, etc. they merged right away on the blackberry... the rest I had to do on my own. Outlook is easy. If my girlfriend can do it, anyone can do it. I've got to get her a blackberry!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #14
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless

I just found a little USB device that looks simple to transfer my contacts to my SIM card. The device is at http://www.cellularforless.com/show_...l_id_new=10853. I am still waiting for the package to arrive but it looks pretty straightforward.
Closed Thread