Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
SeattleSE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry No Amazon 8700c rebate with number portability

Please Login to Remove!

I ordered the BB 8700C from Amazon.com today planning to convert to Cingular and keep my T-Mobile phone number which I use for business.

It never occurred to me that I would have a number portability problem since I checked on the Cingular site before placing an order with amazon. However, in parsing through all the stuff on amazon, I found this:

Cingular
Cingular and Amazon.com have not yet established a method for customers to transfer their current number to a new Cingular account. Unfortunately, in order to port your previous number, Cingular will cancel the account that Amazon.com activated and will activate a new account with the ported number. This process makes you ineligible for the Amazon.com rebates. We hope to offer a porting option in the coming months, so please check back.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...17457#Cingular

So I can either get the $150 rebate or keep my phone number but not both. Well, now I'll have to explore my options for cancelling and/or returning the phone.

Cheers.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

$150 for the phone is a good price...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T

Here is an idea, get a family plan and port that number to the new phone and after you get your rebate back cancel the family plan and your new number. Just get a cheap free phone.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
SeattleSE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default True

True, but throwing away $150 is galling.

The thing that annoys me is that I read everything that was presented to me as part of the order process and there was no mention of this little caveat. Now they say that I should have read the help pages. First of all, why would I read the help pages if I didn't think that I needed help? Second, its kind of like buying something in a bricks and mortar store and then having them say that you should have read the piece of paper that was available to you in the back room had you asked for it. I've got to think that a substantial number of people, if not the majority, would be interested in porting over a phone number. Not being more upfront is bad business practice at best.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdafuhk
$150 for the phone is a good price...
Old 03-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I guess the part I don't get about this, is there is a long thread going on this forum about people buying the amazon phone and completely canceling the service to go to Tmobile or somewhere else and still getting the cheap price from Amazon and not following the "rules". You are trying to do everything right and they claim you can't get it. Didn't you already pay amazon when you ordered? Have you tried calling Cingular and asking them?

I like the idea of the family plan, but for a month of family, it will cost you $30. But then, if you get a free phone with it, there is someone else here looking to buy a cheap Cingular phone, maybe it could work out

Good luck,
Old 03-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

The family plan idea is nice but it's not going to work. At least for TMO, when you sign up for the contract, you cannot move to a cheaper plan during the life of the contract, only up. And family plan -> regular plan would be moving down.
Closed Thread