Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Marcos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Default 8700 Tmobile Modem w/mac os x

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
Has anyone been able to use their 8700 on Tmoble to a mac os x as a modem? If so, I could use a little help?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Several threads on this one. No luck to date. No modem drivers out yet.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Marcos

Model: 7250

Thanks, I was doing some searches and had no luck. I was hoping that I was wrong.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

To UNIX-experienced Mac users:

A test though; do you have any new serial services in your /dev/ subdirectory? A Linux user reported that a serial port 'showed up' when they plugged their BlackBerry in.

This may be a standardized USB serial port. Can you UNIX users jump to your Mac xterm/terminal and check out the /dev/ folder? (I think that exists on Mac too, I don't have a Mac at hand to check.)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Kripto

Model: 8700

I plugged it in but no devices seen in /dev/.. I added it as a "serial bluetooth" device and there is a /dev/cu.B.... device created. I tried connecting to it with zterm w/o any luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
To UNIX-experienced Mac users:

A test though; do you have any new serial services in your /dev/ subdirectory? A Linux user reported that a serial port 'showed up' when they plugged their BlackBerry in.

This may be a standardized USB serial port. Can you UNIX users jump to your Mac xterm/terminal and check out the /dev/ folder? (I think that exists on Mac too, I don't have a Mac at hand to check.)
Old 04-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Just tried it with a 7100c. Nothing new in /dev.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
aequitas

Model: 8700g

I have a 12" Powerbook G4, OS X Tiger 10.4.5.

There are new devices listed under /dev/ for me. The following is what I found by doing a "ls -la" in the /dev/ directory (I only list Blackberry stuff)

crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, cu.BlackBerry8700-BlackBer-1
crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, cu.aequitasBB-BlackBerryDe-1
crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, tty.BlackBerry8700-BlackBer-1
crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, tty.aequitasBB-BlackBerryDe-1

FYI, my username is aequitas, for those wondering.

Let me know if I can help out any more! I want to get this working ASAP. I am on travel often and would love to use my Powerbook in airports with no free wireless.

I know *nix fairly well and I know computers even more, so if any of you have any ideas, I would not be afraid to try them.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
CTSpeed413

Lightbulb Check it out!!! 8700g works as a modem!!!

I initially found the initialization string for the 7100t - you can google it

init string for 7100t:
AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com","",0,0

(T-mobile - of course)

So, last night I was looking for the init $ for the 8700g, I found this - but for Cingular:

AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

what the heck, I tried it.. got to "registering on the network" and ofcourse eventually failed

grrr.... but hey, close!!

hmmm, maybe this will work?

AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

it did!!

well, it's no broadband but you can clearly SEE the difference between the 7100 and the 8700. Now the 7100 could stream sirius (connected to a laptop - of course) now we KNOW the 8700 can.

so there you have it

I don't see why this wouldn't work on ANY platform:
just add a generic modem to COMx (x defined or rather stated in BBDM)
add the initializatrion string
dial *99#
username: " "
password: " "

" " = space - to ensure that windows isn't giving your password out for free

Rock-n-Roll!!

oh yeah, BBDM needs to be running when you attempt to connect.

Hope this helps errrbody!!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

you did this on a mac?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
aequitas

the way it sounds, it was on Windows, because there is no "BBDM" (BlackBerry Desktop Manager) for OS X.

Has anybody been able to select a Terminal script in the Network > BlackBerry > PPP Options? If i could get that to be selectable, I could get further than I am currently.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
Doxology

Model: 7100T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequitas
the way it sounds, it was on Windows, because there is no "BBDM" (BlackBerry Desktop Manager) for OS X.

Has anybody been able to select a Terminal script in the Network > BlackBerry > PPP Options? If i could get that to be selectable, I could get further than I am currently.
One could see if PocketMac for Blackberry could work in place of the Desktop Manager software. I can't try it until I get home from work, which will be tomorrow afternoon. Double-shifts are not fun.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
aequitas

Doxology,

That is exactly how it would be done - using PocketMac to keep the connection.

The problem is that (for me anyway) I can not tell the PPP Options to run a selected Terminal Script.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another option would be to connect to the 7100/8700 via USB and run BBDM in a Parallels Windows virtualization window.

It would seem that Blackberry Manager would function fine in a Windows XP or 2000 window under OSX. USB ports are vitualized and Windows drivers should enable easy communication.

I don't receive my MacBook Pro until Friday. I will install Parallels Desktop for a few needed Windows applications. It won't be hard to confirm Blackberrry modem functionality under Parallels as I have been using my BB as a modem for over a year with my existing XP notebook.

My intention is not to upset any Apple owners (I own a MiniDuo and a MBPro later this week). Instead, this may be an immediate method to get WAN functionality via your BB.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Run a communications terminal on these /dev files (treat them like a serial port, one by one) and try to manually type the "AT" command followed by Enter (carriage return). Does the BlackBerry respond with "OK" messages? If so, then modem over MacOSX should be possible to do with some UNIX command line scripting (ppp client, etc), bypassing the fancy stuff.

If your MacOS X does not include a serial port terminal, you could download a simple terminal such as C-Kermit somewhere - and try sending some Hayes AT modem commands to these ports, see if these devices automatically respond with an OK message. If so, then all you need is some simple command line ppp client script to pull it all off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequitas
I have a 12" Powerbook G4, OS X Tiger 10.4.5.

There are new devices listed under /dev/ for me. The following is what I found by doing a "ls -la" in the /dev/ directory (I only list Blackberry stuff)

crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, cu.BlackBerry8700-BlackBer-1
crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, cu.aequitasBB-BlackBerryDe-1
crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, tty.BlackBerry8700-BlackBer-1
crw-rw-rw 1 root wheel 9, tty.aequitasBB-BlackBerryDe-1

FYI, my username is aequitas, for those wondering.

Let me know if I can help out any more! I want to get this working ASAP. I am on travel often and would love to use my Powerbook in airports with no free wireless.

I know *nix fairly well and I know computers even more, so if any of you have any ideas, I would not be afraid to try them.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-24-2006 at 10:09 PM..
Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 AM   #15
alexkingorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcclan
Another option would be to connect to the 7100/8700 via USB and run BBDM in a Parallels Windows virtualization window.

It would seem that Blackberry Manager would function fine in a Windows XP or 2000 window under OSX. USB ports are vitualized and Windows drivers should enable easy communication.
I thought the same thing, unfortunately I couldn't get the XP install running in Parallels to "connect" to the BlackBerry - it kept reporting that the device was in use (my guess is by the OS X PocketMac drivers).

I did get it working by booting into Win XP using Boot Camp. I've got a blog post on this forthcoming.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #16
cortesi

Model: 8700G

I have an 8700g with T-Mobile too and would also like to use it as a modem on a Mac (12" G4 Powerbook 10.4.6). I'd be interested if aequitas is able to figure this out. I travel as well as would like to use my Powerbook in the airports or other locations where you have to pay big $$ for wireless (or where it doesn't exist. Any help would be appreciated. Mark Rejhon had some good suggestions. Interesting the 8700g can would using Boot Camp on a new Intel Mac, but unfortunately, I don't have that available.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
techrealm

Smile Free download for pockmac for blackberry.

"PocketMac For BlackBerry takes care of everything for you. Install the software on your Mac in 3 minutes, configure which options you want enabled (Entourage Calendar, iCal, Tasks, etc.), connect your BlackBerry device to your Mac via USB or Serial Cable, and start the sync. That's all that's required. That's literally it.

What's more, PocketMac for BlackBerry was just awarded 4-1/2 of 5 mice by MacWorld UK.

Best of all, thanks to Research In Motion® (RIM®) (designer and manufacturer of the BlackBerry device) licensing PocketMac for BlackBerry, it's free for all BlackBerry users! "

Source:
pocketmac . ne t /products/pmblackberry/indexrim.html
Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #18
cortesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrealm
"PocketMac For BlackBerry takes care of everything for you. Install the software on your Mac in 3 minutes, configure which options you want enabled (Entourage Calendar, iCal, Tasks, etc.), connect your BlackBerry device to your Mac via USB or Serial Cable, and start the sync. That's all that's required. That's literally it.

What's more, PocketMac for BlackBerry was just awarded 4-1/2 of 5 mice by MacWorld UK.

Best of all, thanks to Research In Motion® (RIM®) (designer and manufacturer of the BlackBerry device) licensing PocketMac for BlackBerry, it's free for all BlackBerry users! "

Source:
pocketmac . ne t /products/pmblackberry/indexrim.html
I downloaded PocketMac for Blackberry and it has all the syncing capability but not the modem connect - at least that I can see.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:32 AM   #19
cortesi

OK - I got the Blackberry to showup on my Powerbook under network by enabling the Blackberry network port, so that is progress. I tried to dial out, but I need to configure a modem and setup a phone number. I assume the number is *99# with blanks for the user name and password, but this still gives me an error. At least it now sees the 8700g as a modem due to PocketMac for the Blackberry. Thanks for the tip. Anyone know the settings that needs to be used to configure the Blackberry modem?

Last edited by cortesi; 05-31-2006 at 04:58 AM..
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
aequitas

Quote:
Anyone know the settings that needs to be used to configure the Blackberry modem?
No ... that is what needs to be figured out.