BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Spike_66

Model: 8700c
Default IMAP account vs BES?

Please Login to Remove!

My company does not have a BES and our ISP put me on an IMAP account so that I should be able to view the folder from Outlook 2003 on my BB 8700c, but Cingular can't seem to tell me how to turn on the viewing of the IMAP folders. Can anyone help? I work for a small company so buying a server or BES doesn't make sense.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Hunter5117
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G

Sorry, no can do. BB doesn't do IMAP. I've only had mine for a week and was very surprised (as I am sure you are) to find this out. The BIS from Cingular (if it is the same as T-Mobile which has been upgraded to 2.0) can pull email from your your IMAP server and push it to your BB, but you won't get full folder syncing like you would with an IMAP client on a Palm or PPC. You need to sign up for BES in order to get some level of folder syncing, still not as good as IMAP from what my T-Mo reps have described to me.

I have been able to come up with a set of rules in Outlook (actually Entourage on my Mac) to BCC all my sent items from my computer to the BB and not clutter up my Sent Items folder too bad. And anything you send from the BB should wind up in your Sent Items on your computer if you are set up with IMAP on them.

Hope this helps. Others more familiar with Cingular can likely add more.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5117
Sorry, no can do. BB doesn't do IMAP. I've only had mine for a week and was very surprised (as I am sure you are) to find this out. The BIS from Cingular (if it is the same as T-Mobile which has been upgraded to 2.0) can pull email from your your IMAP server and push it to your BB, but you won't get full folder syncing like you would with an IMAP client on a Palm or PPC. You need to sign up for BES in order to get some level of folder syncing, still not as good as IMAP from what my T-Mo reps have described to me.

I have been able to come up with a set of rules in Outlook (actually Entourage on my Mac) to BCC all my sent items from my computer to the BB and not clutter up my Sent Items folder too bad. And anything you send from the BB should wind up in your Sent Items on your computer if you are set up with IMAP on them.

Hope this helps. Others more familiar with Cingular can likely add more.
BIS 2.0 configured for IMAP will place sent BB emails to the Sent folder and deleted message to the Deleted folder. It will sync the Inbox (read/unread) but no support for sub-folders - including message filing.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
DrKeith

Model: 9000

If you need to have folder synching, then you should consider signing up for a hosted BES with an exchange server. It will not be exactly like IMAP, but will allow synching of your email, tasks,etc.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5117
Sorry, no can do. BB doesn't do IMAP.
not true - BIS does suppoprt IMAP in 1.8 and 2.0 - normal and using SSL
as mentioned above, 2.0 syncs read/unread status; sent emails and deleted ones
1.8. does not
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKeith
If you need to have folder synching, then you should consider signing up for a hosted BES with an exchange server. It will not be exactly like IMAP, but will allow synching of your email, tasks,etc.
You can access the Exchange mailbox folder structure and move email to folders with BES but Blackberries do not sync email (regardless of whether you're on BIS, BES or both). They are push email devices and there is a distinct difference. You won't have access to any email that you don't have forwarded to the device.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Hunter5117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
not true - BIS does suppoprt IMAP in 1.8 and 2.0 - normal and using SSL
as mentioned above, 2.0 syncs read/unread status; sent emails and deleted ones
1.8. does not
I'll pass on commenting on BIS 1.8 because I have never used it and I understand it did offer some level of folder syncing. However, I have spent many hours researching this on BIS 2.0 and I will stand by my statement that BB BIS 2.0 does not do IMAP.

Yes, you can send or delete from your BB and the BIS server will pass that to the appropriate IMAP mail server which will then propagate that to your other IMAP clients on your laptop, etc. However, try generating actions from your laptop IMAP client, either send an item or delete an item and your BB just sits there oblivious to what just happened. Sorry, that is not IMAP. Going from the BB to the IMAP server is just sending email, not doing IMAP.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

my apologies - i thought you ment you couldn't add an IMAP account using BIS

BIS reconciliation is only 1 way - handheld to server in BIS 2.0; handheld to BIS inbox in 1.8
so if you send an email or delete from any account (pop; imap; exchange; domino) it will not show the change on the handheld
Old 06-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
Hunter5117

Sorry, I had a rough couple of days earlier this week when I got hit up-side the head with the knowledge that BB doesn't do IMAP, I likely could have been a little more diplomatic in my response. I've only had my 8700g for a little over a week and can still return it up until next Tuesday. I'm 95% sure I'm going to keep it, my other option would be upgrade my Treo 600 to a 650 or 700p but considerably more $$ since T-mo doesn't offer either of those and I would have to change carriers if I wanted the 700. The BB is a very solid device and I may eventually decide to spend the $$ and get a hosted BES server though my email provider.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
BIS 2.0 configured for IMAP will place sent BB emails to the Sent folder and deleted message to the Deleted folder. It will sync the Inbox (read/unread) but no support for sub-folders - including message filing.
I have TMO (8700g) and use both BES (for work) and BIS (for personal). Works like a charm. However, here is the odd part. For BIS, it will sync my inbox (and read/unread status) but it doesn't seem to deposit sent messages in "sent" or move deleted messages to "deleted" as you stated above. In fact, I have to use the auto-BCC and a set of rules on my IMAP server. Any ideas on that one? Is TMO using 1.8 vs. 2.0? Thank you.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by code7700
I have TMO (8700g) and use both BES (for work) and BIS (for personal). Works like a charm. However, here is the odd part. For BIS, it will sync my inbox (and read/unread status) but it doesn't seem to deposit sent messages in "sent" or move deleted messages to "deleted" as you stated above. In fact, I have to use the auto-BCC and a set of rules on my IMAP server. Any ideas on that one? Is TMO using 1.8 vs. 2.0? Thank you.
In the advanced options, when setting up an IMAP account in the BIS, be sure you select IMAP and not POP. Also, be sure the folder is Sent and Deleted (with capital letter) on the IMAP server.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
bobdole42

Model: 7100t

I'm reading two different things - some poeple say the Berry does move deleted and sent items, some say it doesn't. What is the bottom line? I'm probably just being stupid and not understanding, so I would be very grateful to anyone who can clear this up. I don't need full exchange-like folder sync, but I do need the Berry to move the sent and deleted items. Also (and this is probably another dumb question) - will setting the Berry up with my imap account (fastmail.fm) give me push?

Thanks for the help. I've used a Treo 650 with Chatter (the 650's only saving grace, IMHO) for over a year and am ready to switch.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #13
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
In the advanced options, when setting up an IMAP account in the BIS, be sure you select IMAP and not POP. Also, be sure the folder is Sent and Deleted (with capital letter) on the IMAP server.
I did select IMAP, that much I know. But I didn't know it was name/case specific. However, since we're not able to define which folder does what in BIS, I guess they need to be specific names (i.e., "Sent" and "Deleted").

The problem is my hosted IMAP server likes to use "Sent Items" and "Trash" in lieu of "Sent" and "Deleted".

Funny thing is, just like BIS, my hosted IMAP server won't let me set which folder is used for what purpose. Hah.

That all being said, I made some extra folders called "Sent" and "Deleted", but it didn't seem to make a difference. After sending and deleting a bunch of E-mails, both folders are still blank. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by code7700; 06-04-2006 at 01:24 AM..
Old 06-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole42
I'm reading two different things - some poeple say the Berry does move deleted and sent items, some say it doesn't. What is the bottom line? I'm probably just being stupid and not understanding, so I would be very grateful to anyone who can clear this up. I don't need full exchange-like folder sync, but I do need the Berry to move the sent and deleted items. Also (and this is probably another dumb question) - will setting the Berry up with my imap account (fastmail.fm) give me push?

Thanks for the help. I've used a Treo 650 with Chatter (the 650's only saving grace, IMHO) for over a year and am ready to switch.
BIS 2.0 does not move messages from you BB to Sent or Deleted, but sends IMAP commands to the email server that does the actual exchange. So when you send messages from the IMAP account configured on the BIS, a copy of it is placed in the Sent folder. Deleted messages are placed in the Deleted folder.

For this to work, you must have Reconcilation turned on. So on the BB under that account icon, click the trackwheel->Options->Email Options->Wireless Reconcile ON.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #15
whsbuss

Quote:
I did select IMAP, that much I know. But I didn't know it was name/case specific. However, since we're not able to define which folder does what in BIS, I guess they need to be specific names (i.e., "Sent" and "Deleted").

The problem is my hosted IMAP server likes to use "Sent Items" and "Trash" in lieu of "Sent" and "Deleted".

Funny thing is, just like BIS, my hosted IMAP server won't let me set which folder is used for what purpose. Hah.

That all being said, I made some extra folders called "Sent" and "Deleted", but it didn't seem to make a difference. After sending and deleting a bunch of E-mails, both folders are still blank. Hmmmmm.
Actually Sent Items and Trash will also work. Be sure you have Wireless Reconcile set to ON in the email options.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #16
bobdole42

Quote:
BIS 2.0 does not move messages from you BB to Sent or Deleted, but sends IMAP commands to the email server that does the actual exchange. So when you send messages from the IMAP account configured on the BIS, a copy of it is placed in the Sent folder. Deleted messages are placed in the Deleted folder.

For this to work, you must have Reconcilation turned on. So on the BB under that account icon, click the trackwheel->Options->Email Options->Wireless Reconcile ON.
Awesome - thank you!

Will this setup give me push though? Or will BIS poll my imap server every few minutes for new mail?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole42
Awesome - thank you!

Will this setup give me push though? Or will BIS poll my imap server every few minutes for new mail?
It will poll roughly every 15 minutes. I say "roughly" because the documentation says every 15 minutes, but in my experience it's actually a little less than that, which is a good thing.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
bobdole42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
It will poll roughly every 15 minutes. I say "roughly" because the documentation says every 15 minutes, but in my experience it's actually a little less than that, which is a good thing.
ugh. Well that takes me back to square one. Hosted Exchange (probably Mailstreet) or just forwarding my email to the BIS account. I really like the idea of using Mailstreet, but I'm worried that it will cause problems with my corporate BES.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #19
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arrow No Dice

Quote:
Actually Sent Items and Trash will also work. Be sure you have Wireless Reconcile set to ON in the email options.
Well, it should, but it doesn't. In fact, it never has. And yes, "Wireless Reconcile" is set to on "On".

I've been using IMAP for as long as TMO has had BIS (when they had BWC, I used an @tmo.blackberry.net account) and have been forced to use AutoBCC to keep my outgoing messages (in fact, I thought the reason they had AutoBCC was because what we're talking about wasn't an option).

That all being said, I'm all ears.

I will also forward this thread to the hosted IMAP support desk and see what their take is on it. Oddly enough, when I interface with the IMAP server from my desktop (Outlook 2003) all sent messages are kept in my local (not IMAP server) sent folder and deleted messages get lines through them (strikeout text) until I press "Purge Deleted Messages". But on the hosted IMAP web interface, stuff actually gets put in the right folders (Sent Items and Trash).
Old 06-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #20
whsbuss

Quote:
Well, it should, but it doesn't. In fact, it never has. And yes, "Wireless Reconcile" is set to on "On".

I've been using IMAP for as long as TMO has had BIS (when they had BWC, I used an @tmo.blackberry.net account) and have been forced to use AutoBCC to keep my outgoing messages (in fact, I thought the reason they had AutoBCC was because what we're talking about wasn't an option).

That all being said, I'm all ears.

I will also forward this thread to the hosted IMAP support desk and see what their take is on it. Oddly enough, when I interface with the IMAP server from my desktop (Outlook 2003) all sent messages are kept in my local (not IMAP server) sent folder and deleted messages get lines through them (strikeout text) until I press "Purge Deleted Messages". But on the hosted IMAP web interface, stuff actually gets put in the right folders (Sent Items and Trash).
If you want Sent mail placed in your IMAP server's sent folder in Outlook, check into the Rules of Outlook 2003. Just a few steps are required to build it. You can also search the Microsoft knowledgebase for Rules in Outlook.
Closed Thread