BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8700G - Unlocking Zen Improperly?

Please Login to Remove!

I've followed the instructions for unlocking the zen theme from "jibi". My Blackberry.ALX files WAS titled blackberry.alx.OLD.. I removed the Vender ID section for the 320x240 zen theme. I go to desktop manager and try to wait for the update core compenents to prompt me but it doesn't. So I manually open application loader and click next..still nothing. I renamed the blackberry.alx.OLD file to blackberry.alx..still nothing

What did I do wrong?

I didn't see the Blackberry 4.1 software in my Add/Remove Programs panel for windows xp either upon doing the first steps.

This is from a T-mobile 8700G coming straight out the box. No mods or software upgrades. Just called t-mobile to activate BIS. So everything is fresh. Just trying to figure out what step i missed.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Something sounds wrong in your description. You only rename the Blackberry.alx file in order to replace it with a file provided by Seattle18 or jibi. Why then have you edited the file?
Run the OS download. Delete the Vendor.xml FILE, rename the old Blackberry.alx and then put the replacement Blackberry.alx file in that same folder. Then run the Applications Loader. That simple. Now if the OS download is not actually an upgrade but the same version as what you already have, it won't prompt for the upgrade and you will have to select the Advanced option in Applications Loader and tell it to wipe the applications on your handheld. That will force it to reinstall the OS with Zen unlocked.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 06-04-2006 at 02:58 PM..
Old 06-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
cooperpwc

The definitive instructions are here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26764
Alternative Blackberry.alx files (such as for T-Mobile) are here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28821
Old 06-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think that initially the .alx file was named .OLD because of when I previously had an 8700c 2 months ago. When I uninstalled the blackberry desktop software I don't think the common files "RESEARCH IN MOTION" folder was deleted in the process. I tried uninstalling the blackberry desktop folder again..and manually deleting the research in motion folder located in program files/common files/ to ensure a clean start. Installed the blackberry desktop software again..now I have no "shared" folder. I'm lost..but not completely.

Mind if I ask how to do the "OS" upgrade? for an 8700G if it's already supposed to have the latest software? I read a thread regarding it ...and it stated that the zen theme was just vendor locked. Considering my situation a fresh start wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

seems like i finally got the zen theme working. Apparently i had a strange issue with the software CD that came with my 8700G. When I used the 4.1.0 from this forum software..everything worked flawlessly.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
cooperpwc

The normal way to get rid of an old OS intallation in Desktop Manager is to run the installation program again. It then asks you if you want to repair or remove it. You remove it. I do not know if there are any negative repercussions to just doing a manual delete of the Shared folder. I suspect that it will be okay.
From where you are: You have a fresh installation of Desktop Manager. Now run the T-Mobile OS installation program ON YOUR COMPUTER. You can download it here.
That will create the new Shared folder. Then go through the process of deleteing the Vendor.xml file and replacing the original Blackberry.alx file (rename it "old") with the one downloaded here. Then run Applications Loader and force the "upgrade" if necesary as I described above.
This process replaces your OS. You are correct that it may or may not actually constitute an upgrade. But the Zen theme does not come pre-installed on any Blackberry. It is locked in the OS installation program. Hacking the vendor.xml and Blackberry.alx files and then reinstalling the OS is how you unlock it.
EDIT: Glad to see you got it working.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 06-04-2006 at 03:32 PM..
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

well these are the steps i didnt do.

"Then go through the process of deleteing the Vendore.xml file and replacing the original Blackberry.alx file (rename it "old") with the one downloaded here. Then run Applications Loader and force the "upgrade" if necesary as I described above."

I simply just installed the T-mobile OS installation program. And yes the new shared folder was created. I stupidly uninstalled the T-Mobile installation after, and watched the shared folder disappear. So then I installed it back again. I didn't replac the blackberry.alx file. I simply removed the vendor tag as stated in jibi's instructions and then did the application loader. I unchecked everything i possibly could because I had just updated my Blackberry with the T-Mobile OS software 2 minutes before hand. But I left the core update and a few things that couldn't be unchecked checked. Then I watched as the zen theme was unlocked. I then removed my battery for 30 seconds ..popped the battery back in and noticed that the zen theme worked . I don't know what the heck is going on...but all i know is that I have 2 items in my control panel:

Blackberry Desktop Software 4.1 &
Blackberry v4.1.0 for the 8700 series wireless handheld

strange how with my old 8700c everything seemed so much easier - as it worked step by step.

Well hopefully nothing is wrong or I don't have to start over again.
Closed Thread