BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
kpflynn

Model: none
Default Best option for current T-Mo customer?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I've decided to upgrade my Sidekick 2 to an 8700. My issue is I see a lot of places giving away the 8700s with a 2 year contract, which is fine with me. What I don't understand is why I cannot get this as a current T-mobile subscriber (my contract has been expired for over a year now). Can I cancel my current arrangement with them, then simply re-sign up? I'd go to Cingular (both services have excellent coverage in my area, so that's not really an issue), but it seems a similar plan on Cingular costs over $40/month extra than the T-mobile plan!

So, does anyone have any tips/advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile

Hi, I am with TM and upgraded to the BB8700g in June. I had just bought a phone in April so the only upgrade I was eligble for was $350 with a 2 year contract (which I didn't mind as I like TM service). A steep amount but I really love my BB.

As existing customers we don't get the deals that new customers get but after 11 months of service, we do get those upgrade deals. So you may be eligble for something. No offense to Cingular, but I would stick with TM because they offer the best plan...$19.99 BBAddon (when you add it to your regular phone plan) for unlimited data OR $29.99 without the phone plan.

And no, I'm pretty sure that even if you cancel your current service and buy a new one that they will then consider you a new customer. So I wouldn't recommend that. My final thought would be to call TM customer support and see if they can do anything for you. Your contract is up so they might make some special offer to keep you as a customer for another few years. Worth a try...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
WANNABB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

I am having the same issue with Cingular right now. They would rather forgo nearly $4000 in service for the next 24 months than give me Blackberry's for a reasonable price. In fact, they threatened me by saying that if I cancel my contract with them and go out and get a new contract with Cingular that I may be required to put down a deposit of up to $1000 per line because I broke the contract.

I was considering cancelling the contract, paying the fees, and then getting a new line of service through them to get the lower phone prices, but not anymore. I'm switching to Tmobile.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Hunter5117

Model: 8700G

If you have more than 11 mos since your last phone upgrade then you should be able to get the same deal as a new customer. Ask to be put through to retentions and talk to them about the Cingular deal. You might be able to knock another few $$ off the price. I usually let them know that I don't want to switch but will if necessary. I was able to get my 8700 for $200 flat - no rebates, etc which was as good as anyone was offering at the time back in Feb.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Just FYI....

I visited a T-Mobile store last night as I am contemplating changing my 7100t for an 8700g. I was assured by the rep that I would, indeed, qualify for the rebates on the 8700g to bring the price down to what would be valid for a new customer IF I signed up for another one or two year contract (can't recall accurately whether she said one or two years...I think two). Anyway, I have been a TMO subscriber for a year and seven months, so that's why I qualify. As mentioned above, the minimum of 11 months before the "deals" kick in seems to be accurate for qualifying for renewal discounts on the hardware.

Just FYI.........

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpflynn
What I don't understand is why I cannot get this as a current T-mobile subscriber (my contract has been expired for over a year now).
All wireless carriers do this. It's not unique to TMO.
Quote:
Can I cancel my current arrangement with them, then simply re-sign up?
Nope. You have to be inactive for at least 90 days after closing your account to be considered "new".
Quote:
So, does anyone have any tips/advice?
Definitely talk to retentions, as has been mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
JDLaing

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mo
Default 8700 T-mo upgrade

I have several phones with T-mo.
I stopped into a store and told the Sales rep that the 8700 was free or really inexpensive all over the web with T-mo service. He said "show me" so I used the store computer and he matched the deal. I did have to pay the 35 buck conect fee but that was worth it.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
sasquatch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

It's true that these individually owned "frachises" have some flexibility in price-matching. I've brought a coupon in for a BB that was offered through another retail outlet, and they matched the offer and signed me up.

They might as well. Because if they dont sign you up, some other place will.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
cosmokramer

Carrier: Tmobile

Ok, here is what I did. I also had a sidekick ii and wanted to upgrade to the 8700. Believe it or not, you can do this, but only if you cancel your current contract and through some hassling.

I got my 8700 through Amazon for free with the t-mobile and amazon rebates. I also got a RAZR for my wife for -$50...At any rate, I had two accounts then. One for the sidekick and one for the blackberry. After MANY phone calls, I finally found someone who was smart enough at Tmobile customer service to figure out what I wanted to do.

Tmobile cancelled my sidekick account (I was not under contract) and actually ported the phone number to the blackberry. This was the difficult part and it takes some time and patience if you want to get it accomplished. But make no mistake about it, you can definitely swap your phone numbers on accounts. They initially tried to tell me that the number (once cancelled) goes into a pool and you are not guaranteed it, but it's BS. The CS rep did it in 5 minutes for me. AND, I received both my tmobile rebates and Amazon rebates because the new account is still active. You just lose all of the good will you might have built up on the old account. If you were a customer on that account for 10 years, it basically goes away and they treat you as a new customer.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
kpflynn

Well, I called retentions and they said the absolute best they could do is $250, which is insane. This is really upsetting that they treat their loyal customers like this while new customers get anything and everything. I know it's not unique to Tmobile, but it's a very frustrating practice for the industry to use. I guess I'll try some of the franchise stores and as a last resort I'll try that trick mentioned up above.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
WANNABB

You should be upset. I walked into a T-mobile store, told them about the Amazon offer, and they offered to sell me the 8700G for $150 and a $50 service credit for the first month.

On the phone with Cingular retention right now. They gave me the 8700C for $219 with a contract extension. Works for me!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #12
kpflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABB
You should be upset. I walked into a T-mobile store, told them about the Amazon offer, and they offered to sell me the 8700G for $150 and a $50 service credit for the first month.

On the phone with Cingular retention right now. They gave me the 8700C for $219 with a contract extension. Works for me!
Went to 4 tmobile stores and everyone said their bottom line price was $300. Very dissapointing.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Went to 4 tmobile stores and everyone said their bottom line price was $300. Very dissapointing.
$300 was the best price I could get without switching providers. Of course, I think a lot of what is getting left out of this discussion if exactly what people mean by "T-Mobile store." There is one price you will get if you go to an actual official T-Mobile store owned by T-Mobile. They are, for the most part, going to stick to the party line. Things tend to be a little more flexible if you go to a store that is privately owned, but an officially licensed T-Mobile outlet. On the other hand, if you go to one of those slightly shady places that has a million phones, and sells everyone's service, and isn't an official dealer of any service, then it often turns into a matter of how hungry the salesman is for the commission on the service, and how good your haggling skills are.

I have also noticed that it varies with your geographic location. In some markets, T-Mobile is very aggressive about doing anything they can to keep you as a customer, and in other markets it would seem that they could care less if you jump ship. For example, here in LA, the official T-Mobile stores can't even handle upgrades. I went to three different stores, and they all told me that if I want to upgrade, then I would have to call the upgrade department, because they can only sell new accounts. Obviously in other markets, the policy is different.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:18 AM   #14
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm curious, to all these people who got these great deals on upgrading to an 8700g, did you keep you old phone number and everything? Or was this a deal where the salesman, with a wink and a nod, canceled your old service, and set you up as a new customer with a new phone number so you could get a better deal?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
WANNABB

I went to an official T-Mobile store, not an authorized retailer.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
A3SC

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmokramer
Ok, here is what I did. I also had a sidekick ii and wanted to upgrade to the 8700. Believe it or not, you can do this, but only if you cancel your current contract and through some hassling.

I got my 8700 through Amazon for free with the t-mobile and amazon rebates. I also got a RAZR for my wife for -$50...At any rate, I had two accounts then. One for the sidekick and one for the blackberry. After MANY phone calls, I finally found someone who was smart enough at Tmobile customer service to figure out what I wanted to do.

Tmobile cancelled my sidekick account (I was not under contract) and actually ported the phone number to the blackberry. This was the difficult part and it takes some time and patience if you want to get it accomplished. But make no mistake about it, you can definitely swap your phone numbers on accounts. They initially tried to tell me that the number (once cancelled) goes into a pool and you are not guaranteed it, but it's BS. The CS rep did it in 5 minutes for me. AND, I received both my tmobile rebates and Amazon rebates because the new account is still active. You just lose all of the good will you might have built up on the old account. If you were a customer on that account for 10 years, it basically goes away and they treat you as a new customer.
Having worked for tmobile retention, I dont understand how this could have possibly been done. you CANNOT port into the same carrier. Are you sure that the rep didnt just keep your old acct open? I have come across several customers who thought they were working around the system and xceled the new acct, keep the new phone, and several months later wonder why amazon (or any other indirect or authorized store) charged their credit card $500+, ---and then try to act like it was my fault!!---
Old 08-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #17
kpflynn

Not that many people care, but I finally found a BB dealer willing to negotiate. Got my new 8700 tonight for $75, and stuck with Tmobile. Now I'm trying to learn how to adapt to it after 3 years on a Sidekick!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
cosmokramer

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3SC
Having worked for tmobile retention, I dont understand how this could have possibly been done. you CANNOT port into the same carrier. Are you sure that the rep didnt just keep your old acct open? I have come across several customers who thought they were working around the system and xceled the new acct, keep the new phone, and several months later wonder why amazon (or any other indirect or authorized store) charged their credit card $500+, ---and then try to act like it was my fault!!---
Believe what you want. Here are my facts:

1: Had an existing account with Tmobile for my Sidekick that was not under contract
2) Ordered new 8700G from Amazon and applied for rebates (Tmobile and Amazon). Total cost = free after rebates.
3) Called Tmobile and asked to cancel my account with the Sidekick and move my existing phone number on that account to the new account with the BB. Initially they told me it was not possible, then they told me my number went into a pool, then finally, a very nice CR did exactly what I asked them to do and moved the number over.
4) I now have only one account with Tmobile, I have my BB with my existing number (that used to be on the sidekick) AND I have RECEIVED all of my rebate checks from Tmobile and Amazon.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #19
tramm

Quote:
Not that many people care, but I finally found a BB dealer willing to negotiate. Got my new 8700 tonight for $75, and stuck with Tmobile. Now I'm trying to learn how to adapt to it after 3 years on a Sidekick!
Do you mind sharing your BB dealer's name or address? I would love to upgrade to a 8700 for $75.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #20
trigga15

Model: 7290

for personal use on cingular its 29.99 and for bes use its 45
i think for tmo its 20 for personal and bes is 29.99
tmo has not as good as coverage in my opinion as cingular

I LOVE BEING 16 AND HELPIN ALL THE OLDER PEOPLE
Closed Thread