BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
HeyItsDoug

Model: 8700c
Wink 8700c and SMS Mgmt

Please Login to Remove!

I'm thnking of switching from my Cingular 2125 Smartphone to the 8700c. Those keys on the 2125 are just way too small for my fingers. And the 8125 seems as if it would be impossible to work with one hand considering the keyboard has to slide out. While the BB's O.S. is not as 'glitzy' as the WM5 and I think I might miss having memory expansion, I primarily do text msging and emails (But still need a good phone as well. Lack of Voice dialing is frustrating on 8700c but there isn't the PERFECT phone/PDA out there yet as far as I know!) BTW, I have a Plantronics 650 Explorer BT headset. Can anyone comment on voice quality? Both in and outbound?) Anyway, one abilitiy that none of the phones I have researched allow me to archive SMS msgs to my desktop computer. Sure, I can go through the motions to email text msgs to myself but for some reason WM5 won't even allow me to get to the msgs through Explorer for a manual backup. if I go with the 8700c I will probably get the $44.95 data plan and then use a 3rd party company with BES hosting so that I can have OTA synching of Ms Office 2003 PIM. But it appears, through reading the 8700c user;s guide that I cannot gain accesss to SMS messages and easily back them up to my desktop machine. Am I missing something here or is BB not EASILY allowing for SMS messages to be backed up to my deskop. Even if it's not OTA, at least something easy through USB or something. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Doug
Old 09-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

If you do a full backup with your Desktop Manager, it will back up your SMS to your computer. However, it won't be any kind of readable or editable file. It can only be used to restore to a Blackberry.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
HeyItsDoug

Model: 8700c
Default RE: 8700c and SMS Mgmt

Thanks Pizzle for the info. That was what I was afraid you were going to tell me.
Closed Thread