BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #1
politemusic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Charges for BB Messenger on Cingular internationally?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I'm so sorry, but I've done some preliminary searching, and it's taking a while to find the answer; I'm in Curacao in the Carribbean, and I have a BB 8700c on Cingular. I have the $5.99/month international roaming plan which gives a slight discount on minutes, but I don't have the Blackberry Unlimited plan for $64.99.

My wife and I use BB Messenger all the time back home, and were wondering about the cost abroad; text messages I know are 50 cents outgoing from my phone, but the agent at customer service had no idea about BB messenger (I know they don't support it). I called again, and the next agent said it was the same price as texting, but it seems a little off to me (they didn't seem like they had a clue about what I meant when I spoke of instant messaging).

Anyway, does anybody know for sure?

Also, I'm getting emails automatically flowing in on my BB, so should I sign up for that BB Unlimited plan anyway?

Would love some help here; this could get really expensive really quickly.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

BBMessenger is just pin messaging/data. You're going to be charged international data rates. I don't know exactly what that is as it varies from country to country ($.xx per kb.) It'll probably be close to the same rates as email. It can add up so be careful.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You can find specifics on data roaming charges on Cingular's site but IIRC it's typically about $0.0195/KB. Of course, it does depend on where you're located. If my math is correct (and that's dubious) then the break even point with the $0.0195/KB rate and the $64.99 International Blackberry Data Plan is roughly 3.3MB of use/month.

I know my two Blackberries easily exceed that data usage.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-25-2007 at 12:38 PM..
Closed Thread