Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
mshykind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default Voicedial

Please Login to Remove!

Quick questions for you 8800's users:

Before I switch from my 8700C, I really want to find out more about Voicedial. Most of my contacts have 3-4 numbers (work, cell, home, fax, etc...). The rep at the Cingular store told me that when I say the contact name, it will call the 1st number in the list.

Is this accurate? I would love to be able to say something like "Call Joe Smith Home" vs. "Call Joe Smith Cell."

Anybody have any feedback on this? Can I call any of the phone numbers attached to a contact, or just the first one that is listed?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

That Cingular rep was incorrect. You can call any number in your contact's list. You can either do it by saying it all together such as "Call Joe Smith Home" or "Call Joe Smith Mobile."

Or, you can just say "Call Joe Smith." If there are multiple numbers, it will then ask you to say which one you would like to call. So you could then say "Mobile" and it will call Joe Smith's mobile.

I love Cingular reps sometimes....
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
mshykind

Thanks! That is what I was hoping for....sounds like it works pretty well from some of the other posts I've read too...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

It works very well considering no training for the device is required. You simply need to be carefull that you use the persons name when you use voice dial. If you phone book has a person listed a John Smith, you should not say call John or call Mr. Smith. You need to say call John Smith

It will even work with my BT headset so I do not even need to touch my device while driving
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
mshykind

OK...so what about this:

I'm in sales, so I have a seperate contact for the company, (ABC Mortgage), with their phone, fax, and address. That way if somebody calls from ABC Mortgage, I can see ABC Mortgage on the caller ID.

But...I may have 10 contacts, each with their own info, for ABC Mortgage (John Smith at company ABC, Jane Doe at company ABC), etc...

So...if I say "ABC Mortgage", will it call the listing that has just the company name with no person?

Does that make sense? I John Smith will also have ABC Mortgage in his contact info, but the main number for ABC will be listed without a contact. Each person has their cell and email, but not the main number for the company.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Is there any way to make voicedial say the person's name, so I know how it's expection to hear it? For example, I have someone in my phonebook named Austion. That is not a typo. So, is the phone program expecting me to say 'austin' or 'austshun'? I'm not having much success getting it to dial this person by name...

Also, I'm finding that voicedial is not responding when I use my bluetooth headset to say the command. I can push a button to get voicedial to come on, but it basically ignores anything I say after that. I'm using the Plantronics 655...

Anyone else having better luck?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
Is there any way to make voicedial say the person's name, so I know how it's expection to hear it? For example, I have someone in my phonebook named Austion. That is not a typo. So, is the phone program expecting me to say 'austin' or 'austshun'? I'm not having much success getting it to dial this person by name...

Also, I'm finding that voicedial is not responding when I use my bluetooth headset to say the command. I can push a button to get voicedial to come on, but it basically ignores anything I say after that. I'm using the Plantronics 655...

My 655 is working VERY well with my 8800 voice dial feature. You can not "train" the device. Have you tried adjusting the settings to +1 or +2. This will change the threshold at which the VoiceDial feature "thinks" it has found the right contact. I have mine set at +2 and it works well.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow

I wish there was a new optional field called "Phonetic Spelling" or something. I have one contact who's last name is DuBois. It is pronounced "Dewbwa" In order to use voicedial I have to say "Daboys". This is kind of confusing and I always forget to do it when I'm in a rush or not paying attention.

On the other hand... voice dial work fantastic with my Sony Ericsson HBH-300 headset. My 8700 never worked correctly with it (kept disconnecting).
Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
tcrawford

Model: 8800c

FYI - I noticed that the voice dialing will not initialize when using telenav gps with voice turn by turn directions. You need to stop using telenav to get it to initialize. Otherwise it works great.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Found out today if when in Voice Dial mode you say "Menu", it will list all of the VoiceDial commands, not that there are alot but people are always asking for a list of the commands
Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't worry about it

My 8800 voice dial is the worst there is. It won't dial a name or number to save it's life with or without a headset. It will give me the signal strength, battery status and it will cancel...but it won't pick up any of the names or numbers I say. I've gone through all the set up and what not.....it's the pits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Found out today if when in Voice Dial mode you say "Menu", it will list all of the VoiceDial commands, not that there are alot but people are always asking for a list of the commands
Old 03-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

Make sure you say the name exactly as it appears in your phonebook. Unless I'm doing something wrong, this is the only way I found it to work. So for me, I need to say "Call Doe Mister John on mobile". When I look at my address book it is sorted by last name and I use a person's title so the name in the phone book shows as "Doe, Mr. John". It works well but if you've been spoiled by MS Voice Command you know what voice dial can really do and find the BB quite limited.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
BerryMan101

I was told it will only dial the first number in the contact.

Also, aside from the fact that you have to pay $4.95 month for service, one would also have to go thru every contact -- thousands of them -- and create a seperate voice command, as it was explained to me, and that would still just call the first name, so if a person had multiple phone numbers, like home, office, mobile, it would only call the first one.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
ntegrt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Voice Dialing works great on my 8800 and BerryMan101 it will call any number you have in your address book for the contact, you just have to tell it which one. Not sure what you are referring to for 4.95 per month. Cingular offers there own voice dial and I suppose that is what you are referring to. You can go online and download your address book into theirs. I have tried it and have had better luck with the BB Voice Dial. Plus BB's is free. Works great rather I am using my plantronics or just headset. I mean, it is not perfect but it is close enough for me.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless
Default Voice Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by profet
I wish there was a new optional field called "Phonetic Spelling" or something. I have one contact who's last name is DuBois. It is pronounced "Dewbwa" In order to use voicedial I have to say "Daboys". This is kind of confusing and I always forget to do it when I'm in a rush or not paying attention.

On the other hand... voice dial work fantastic with my Sony Ericsson HBH-300 headset. My 8700 never worked correctly with it (kept disconnecting).
I realize that you are talking about the 8800 Voice Dialing feature, but just as an FYI the Cingular Voice Dial service (with monthly charge) does do a decent job with the names like DuBois I have a Hungarian friend whose last name is pronounced different than it is spelled and it has never choked
Closed Thread