BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #1
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is there ANY BT headset that can rival my corded headset?

Please Login to Remove!

Having now tried 4 bluetooth headsets with my 7250, and returning them all, I'm really wondering if there is any bluetooth headset that can rival the performance of a corded headset?

My preferred corded headset is a Plantronics M130 that I've been using for years. People report that the audio while using it is indescernible from a land line.

Here is my take on what I've tested so far:

Plantronics M2500 - VERY comfortable (could wear it all day long) But every person I talked to complained of pops, crackles & very poor audio.

Motorola 850 - Boom mic to turn it on was very convenient. It did flop around a bit on the ear. Medium comfort. People said it sounded better than the M2500, but still much worse than my corded headset. They said they really had to pay attention to listen to me.

Logitech Mobile Freedom - I didn't find the fit to be comfortable at all. It is a very large squarish shape, sort of like a stubby cigar. The noise cancelling was good, but it was reported I sounded muffled, like ina tunnel. Still no match for my corded headset.

Jabra 800 - The comfort was OK, but it hurt enough to make me take it off after an hour or so. The audio on this was reportedly good, but not good enough to be a keeper. Plus it has many features I would never use.

On each headset I also tested the 7250 by itself put up to my ear. In every case I was told that it sounded better this way than with the BT headset.

I still am looking to test a plantronics M3500 and a sony HBH660. Somehow I'm skeptical that I will find either one of these perfect. Is there any point to testing the motorola 810 or 820?

Are these performance issues a limitation of the technology? Is there any BT headset that is good enough to make me replace my corded M130? I use the phone a lot, upwards of 2 hours a day and I really would like to find one good enough to replace my corded set.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
Jason_AB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t

I say no...

I went on the same quest...I haven't found one yet that holds up to a wired one. I have a 7520 w/BT800, I only use it for driving in the car, with the windows up and radio down it sounds ok for what I need it for.

I tried it with the top down in a convertable, no shot, the wired one that came with the BB worked pretty good with the top down.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

With the exception of the wind issue, the BT250 has been quite a solid performer for my 7520. I agree with Jason_AB; I don't believe there is any BT headsets on the market that can rival the clarity of wired earpieces although the clarity of the Jabra BT250 is near excellent.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
Von Maestro
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
Carrier: Verizon

I use the M3000 with my 7250 & I've been told it's clearer that when I speak directly into my BlackBerry.

I'm curious what improvement they've made with the M3500, but I can tell you that I am very happy with the M3000... & you really can't beat the price (around $30 on eCost!)
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
deadfan

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo
Default Mind if I extend the question to "hands free" car kits..?

Don't mean to hijack or water down your question with this, but...

I'm new to bluetooth and just upgraded to the 7290 from T-Mobile. I have long wanted a solution for the car--and was very happy years ago with a wired Nokia car kit and my old Nokia cell phone. (although I never compared car kit vs. handheld sound quality back then).

Now, I just picked up a Jabra 250 headset whichj I'll be trying over the next few days (so I might actually have something to add in response to the original question).

So, since I ultimately want to plunk my 7290 into a cradle in the car and speak hands free without a headset while driving--would it be better for me to use a wired hands free car kit--or is that sacrilege for a blue tooth device?! I'll answer my own question and say--I'll probably try a BT hands free car kit and if the sound sucks, I'll go wired. Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
big_ham

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfan
Don't mean to hijack or water down your question with this, but...

I'm new to bluetooth and just upgraded to the 7290 from T-Mobile. I have long wanted a solution for the car--and was very happy years ago with a wired Nokia car kit and my old Nokia cell phone. (although I never compared car kit vs. handheld sound quality back then).

Now, I just picked up a Jabra 250 headset whichj I'll be trying over the next few days (so I might actually have something to add in response to the original question).

So, since I ultimately want to plunk my 7290 into a cradle in the car and speak hands free without a headset while driving--would it be better for me to use a wired hands free car kit--or is that sacrilege for a blue tooth device?! I'll answer my own question and say--I'll probably try a BT hands free car kit and if the sound sucks, I'll go wired. Any thoughts?
Parrot CK-3100 ... excellent sound quality ... immediate pairing as soon as you turn the car on. Excellent unit for the price. I got mine from smartphonedepot.com.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I have the HS810 and a OEM corded earpiece. How is wind issue with the corded earpiece provided when I bought my BB? I too have the wind issue with the BT and would love to be able to drive with the top down. Since my car is manual, driving and talking requires an earpiece.