Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B
Carrier: Verizon
Default quickly changing profiles

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a way to fast switch to another profile instead of hitting the menu key and then the profiles key?

I also found something else. Left alt key and the enter key lock the phone. Now try this; when the phone is locked hit * and enter, then hit * and green calling button to unlock. You will see the profiles! If you just do that from the home screen nothing happens! Any help? thnx
Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

No faster way for setting profiles (maybe assign it to your Convenience key?). You can enable a profile by just highlighting it and pressing space bar....not sure if you're already doing that.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

On full QWERTY BlackBerrys, (if home screen dial is set to NO at Phone, Options) tapping the F key will shortcut to Profiles.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Good one, JS!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I too find the inability to quickly swap between profiles rather annoying, but manipulating the holstered/unholstered aspects of the profiles gets the job done for me. My device is ALWAYS on the "Normal" profile, then I have the Normal profiles set up so that when it's holstered, all notifications are variations on vibrate and when it's unholstered, all notifications are variations of tones. The result is that my "quick change" between vibrate and tone is to holster and unholster the device.

I'm certain that I'm not unique in this setup, but it works well to overcome the shortcoming of not being able to quickly swap profiles.

--Mav
Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster View Post
I too find the inability to quickly swap between profiles rather annoying, but manipulating the holstered/unholstered aspects of the profiles gets the job done for me. My device is ALWAYS on the "Normal" profile, then I have the Normal profiles set up so that when it's holstered, all notifications are variations on vibrate and when it's unholstered, all notifications are variations of tones. The result is that my "quick change" between vibrate and tone is to holster and unholster the device.

I'm certain that I'm not unique in this setup, but it works well to overcome the shortcoming of not being able to quickly swap profiles.

--Mav

That is actually a great idea. I never thought of that...LOL. I will try that at some point tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

Quote:

--Mav
I did something similar like this as well. One vibrate = email, two vibrates = sms or google talk (the googletalk has a tone also), and three vibrates + tone = phone call all while holstered. I never have to unholster it to know what came in

Also FYI you can change your profile on the home screen by scrolling up to the "speaker" icon (in the theme that I'm using), and just click on it and change it that way, no menu keys or anything.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
I did something similar like this as well. One vibrate = email, two vibrates = sms or google talk (the googletalk has a tone also), and three vibrates + tone = phone call all while holstered. I never have to unholster it to know what came in

Also FYI you can change your profile on the home screen by scrolling up to the "speaker" icon (in the theme that I'm using), and just click on it and change it that way, no menu keys or anything.
That would work, too, if you didn't have a consistent need to have it silent (i.e. on vibrate only), but I do. In the interest of full disclosure, here's how I have mine set up:

Holstered:
Any type of message = 1 Vib
Voicemail (SMS) = 2 Vib
Phone calls = 3 Vib

Unholstered:
Windows XP Notify Tone = Work/BES email (because we run XP at work)
Vista Notify Tone = Personal/BIS email/any other type of message (because I run Vista at home)
Notifier BB Pro 5 = Voicemail (SMS)
24 Ringtone = Phone call

--Mav

P.S. Even with teh homescreen/speaker shortcut to profiles, it's still too many steps to be considered "quick", I think -- hence, the holster/unholster.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
cellhead
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Eastiest way to change profiles is to assign the convienence key. Once assigned, simply press it and the profiles appear on the screen for selection.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
That would work, too, if you didn't have a consistent need to have it silent (i.e. on vibrate only), but I do. In the interest of full disclosure, here's how I have mine set up:

Holstered:
Any type of message = 1 Vib
Voicemail (SMS) = 2 Vib
Phone calls = 3 Vib

Unholstered:
Windows XP Notify Tone = Work/BES email (because we run XP at work)
Vista Notify Tone = Personal/BIS email/any other type of message (because I run Vista at home)
Notifier BB Pro 5 = Voicemail (SMS)
24 Ringtone = Phone call

--Mav

P.S. Even with teh homescreen/speaker shortcut to profiles, it's still too many steps to be considered "quick", I think -- hence, the holster/unholster.
Maybe the 8703 is different, but how did you setup to get 1 vib, 2 vib, or 3 vib? No matter what setting I have for Number of Beeps I still get 2 vibs.

Last edited by whsbuss; 06-06-2007 at 01:05 PM..
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellhead View Post
Eastiest way to change profiles is to assign the convienence key. Once assigned, simply press it and the profiles appear on the screen for selection.
That would work, I suppose, but that's reserved for voice dialing (for me, anyway).

--Mav
Old 06-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #12
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Maybe the 8703 is different, but how did you setup to get 1 vib, 2 vib, or 3 vib? No matter what setting I have for Number of Beeps I still get 2 vibs.
On the 8800 to set the Phone Vib to 3 Vibs when holstered w/ "Normal" set as the active profile: Profiles/Advanced/Normal (Active)/Phone/Number of Vibrations/"3".

--Mav
Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
whsbuss

Quote:
On the 8800 to set the Phone Vib to 3 Vibs when holstered w/ "Normal" set as the active profile: Profiles/Advanced/Normal (Active)/Phone/Number of Vibrations/"3".

--Mav
Thanks Mav, but it doesn't work. No matter what setting I select for InHolster Vibrate I always get 2 vibs. Anyone else know why?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
cookes713
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom8 View Post
Is there a way to fast switch to another profile instead of hitting the menu key and then the profiles key?

I also found something else. Left alt key and the enter key lock the phone. Now try this; when the phone is locked hit * and enter, then hit * and green calling button to unlock. You will see the profiles! If you just do that from the home screen nothing happens! Any help? thnx
What theme are you using. On my 8800, i have the icon that indicates which theme i'm currently using (i.e., some variation of a speaker and either lines through it, bars coming out of it, etc)...if you use your track wheel to go to that icon, it will bring you right into your profiles for easy and quick changing
Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
ffeingol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookes713
f you use your track wheel to go to that icon, it will bring you right into your profiles for easy and quick changing
OK, that is a neat tip. I did not know I could scroll over there.

Frank
Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Mav, but it doesn't work. No matter what setting I select for InHolster Vibrate I always get 2 vibs. Anyone else know why?
Yes, 8703 will only vibrate 2x.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellhead View Post
That is the same number of steps (1) as tapping the F key, to bring up profiles.
Besides, tapping the F key for Profiles frees up the Convenience key for something else.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom8 View Post
I just flick the ball right and click on the Profiles icon but I use Zen as my theme. The F key shortcut works well too.

Quote:
I too find the inability to quickly swap between profiles rather annoying
I dunno -- F is pretty fast. I mean, unless my 8800 read my mind and switched profiles for me I can't see it being much faster... ;)

Quote:
I suspect that's because 4.2 isn't out for the 8703e.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-07-2007 at 08:55 AM..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #19
whsbuss

OK so the # of vibs is OS 4.2 dependent?? Is that confirmed?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Appears to be correct.
Closed Thread