Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
emporer_troy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES and Personal Email

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB 8800 activated on my companies BES. I have also set up my personal email on the phone through the web based system that cingular/att provides. My question is, how can I get these to display seperately? I have an icon on my home screen that just displays my personal emails but when I click the "messages" I get my company emails from the BES AND my personal email. I do not want my personal showing up under both icons. Does anyone know how to change this option?

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
MikesTooLz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: was Verizon 8830 now tmoble curve

open your mailbox then go to options > General Option.

change SMS and email inboxes to SEPERATE.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

It's possible this is controlled by the IT Policy enforced on your device (since it's connected to a BES).

To find out go into your service books (Options / Advanced / Service Book). Do your personal email accounts show a circle with a line thru it, or a check mark?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporer_troy View Post
when I click the "messages" I get my company emails from the BES AND my personal email. I do not want my personal showing up under both icons. Does anyone know how to change this option?
You can't.
BES mail will only come into the 'Messages' icon. This is a consolidated inbox which collects mail from any and all accounts (BIS included) linked to the BlackBerry.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesTooLz View Post
open your mailbox then go to options > General Option.
change SMS and email inboxes to SEPERATE.
This will not help the user. The question is related to BIS and BES messages... not SMS messages.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
emporer_troy

Model: 8800

You're right, i've already seperated out the SMS and MMS messages into a seperate folder. I just wanted my personal email not to appear in the consolidated or standard "messages" icon/folder. I wanted to keep this just for the BES messages.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporer_troy View Post
You're right, i've already seperated out the SMS and MMS messages into a seperate folder. I just wanted my personal email not to appear in the consolidated or standard "messages" icon/folder. I wanted to keep this just for the BES messages.
As penguin stated you cannot accomplish this. BES uses "Desktop" on the BB and that places all emails/messages in the "Messages" folder. Unfortunately this folder is a consolidation of all other mail inbox folders as well.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

I'm not sure that's entirely true...

On our BES we restrict the ability to 'send as' an external email account, which does force all mail to come into the Messages icon.

I just set the Default policy on my device (which restricts nothing) and I suddenly have another messages icon for my personal email account (and when I highlight the icon my email account shows at the bottom of the screen).

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Last edited by juwaack68; 06-05-2007 at 08:57 AM..
Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something?
Yes, I think you are. ;)

The BIS accounts do get their own Messages icon. 1 for each BIS account on the device.
However, the BES account does not get its own Messages icon. All messages from the BES account will go into the 'Messages' module on the BlackBerry. Unfortunately, the 'Messages' icon is a consolidated mailbox and will also gather mail from the BIS accounts.
If you have both BIS and BES set up on the device, there is no way to get BES mail into its own box. It will always share its box with the BIS mail.

BIS mail will go into BOTH the 'Messages' module as well as its own mailbox module.

BES mail can only go into the 'Messages' module.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-05-2007 at 09:16 AM..
Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
robkjm

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
If you have both BIS and BES set up on the device, there is no way to get BES mail into its own box. It will always share its box with the BIS mail.

BIS mail will go into BOTH the 'Messages' module as well as its own mailbox module.

Interesting--I was curious about this as well (I posted a related question yesterday about seeing BES and non-BES emails). I assume that in the email options, under Email Reconciliation, the choice of 'Delete On' applies to the BES as well as the BIS email accounts, is that right? That is, if I choose 'Mailbox & Handheld' and delete emails from my BB, will they also get deleted from both the IMAP server that I use for the BIS account (if that's where they originated) as well as the those that I delete that originate from the BES account?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Yes, I think you are. ;)
Of this I have no doubt

Quote:

That makes sense, and after I reapplied the normal IT Policy to my device, the BIS messages icon was still there, but the service books for the account was denied....meaning I most likely just had the icon hidden and forgot it was hidden.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkjm View Post
I assume that in the email options, under Email Reconciliation, the choice of 'Delete On' applies to the BES as well as the BIS email accounts, is that right? That is, if I choose 'Mailbox & Handheld' and delete emails from my BB, will they also get deleted from both the IMAP server that I use for the BIS account (if that's where they originated) as well as the those that I delete that originate from the BES account?
Nope. For most BIS users Delete On won't really do anything. For BIS 1.8 users you can set it to delete on both the BB and the BIS server but not the original account. BIS 2.3 might change things but I haven't confirmed that myself.

IIRC, since the BIS doesn't properly support IMAP the Delete On is also pretty pointless but you should be able to quickly verify this yourself (I don't have any IMAP accounts to test with).
Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
morrsi6896

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Verizon Web Access

My company just switched me from Cingular to Verizon. Does Verizon offer a similar web access to allow me to forward my personal e-mail to my Blackberry??

Thanks in advance!!!

morris6896
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
MPScan

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrsi6896 View Post
My company just switched me from Cingular to Verizon. Does Verizon offer a similar web access to allow me to forward my personal e-mail to my Blackberry??
You mean Verizon branded BIS?

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
robkjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Nope. For most BIS users Delete On won't really do anything. For BIS 1.8 users you can set it to delete on both the BB and the BIS server but not the original account. BIS 2.3 might change things but I haven't confirmed that myself.

IIRC, since the BIS doesn't properly support IMAP the Delete On is also pretty pointless but you should be able to quickly verify this yourself (I don't have any IMAP accounts to test with).
Thanks for the clarification. There is something else I was curious about--if you have both a BES and BIS account, and you reply to an email in your Inbox that was from the BIS account, does your email look to the recipient as though it originated from that particular account, or do all emails originate from the account linked to the BES server? And if you just compose one from scratch, can you choose which account it originates from?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Replies are sent via the account that the email was received on. New email is created under the account set as the default in Options->Message Services. However, the BB will "remember" the account you used to email a recipient and override that default.

You can always scroll up into the header to manually select the account for new email. To do this with replies requires a 3rd party app, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrsi6896 View Post
All carriers that offer Blackberries have BIS. You can find the URL's for the BIS sites for various carriers at BlackberryFAQ.com.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-07-2007 at 08:49 AM..
Old 06-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #17
robkjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post

Well I finally just set up BIS with Verizon on my 8830 for my second email account (my primary account was already on a BES). Some observations:

-very quick and easy to set up
-when deleting a BIS email from the BB I am asked if I want to delete from Mailbox and Handheld or just on Handheld. If I choose both, the email is deleted from my IMAP server.
-as you had said, when I reply to an email, the reply is sent from the appropriate account (ie the account it that the original email was sent to). If composing from scratch you can choose which account--I don't appear to need any third party app to do this.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

I am thinking of going to the BIS (Cingular) from my current Mailstreet BES. I know I will give up getting my emails quicker but is there really anything else that I would miss? I'm paying $9.99/mth to Mailstreet and an extra $15/mth to Cingular just to have BES. Not sure it is worth it.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
is there really anything else that I would miss?
I don't know if you'll miss it... but you'll be giving up wireless PIM sync of contacts, calendar, tasks and memos.
You also wouldn't be able to use any applications that require MDS services.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
bmauldin

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Sent emails on device from BES

I just got BES yesterday. I have filters to allow certain emails sent to my device from my email account via BES. Any emails I sent from my email address appears on the device due to BES. Is there any way I can prevent this? I am aware that you can hide sent msgs but that means I won't see my sent emails that I send from the device itself. Thanks.
Closed Thread