Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
greggov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Default which gps receiver to get?

Please Login to Remove!

today a friend and I took a little excursion and well, we got ourselves lost. quite lost. in fact, it took us about two hours to find a place that should have taken about 20 minutes. its ok though, we were having a good time...and of course i had google maps and used that, but it was a pain to try to figure out where we were and how to get to the destination. so, i'm looking into a bluetooth gps receiver for my Curve.

i've been searching the web, reading some reviews, and i'm still not quite sure what it all means. i dont want to go crazy with price, ideally under $100. ya know, more bang for the buck sorta thing. I see some are able to track 20 satellites, some track more. some start faster than others, etc...

i'd just like it to be able to track my moving car with out a horrendous delay and be able to work on cloudy days, etc... long battery life would be nice, but it woudlnt be a problem to charge it in the car. size also is not a factor.

what is everyone using in terms of gps receivers?

thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I recommend the GlobalSat BT-359. I've been using it for quite some time and have been extremely happy with it. Also, it is the recommended receiver for TeleNav. No other BT pucks seem to work with their latest version of the software. I'm not partial to the BT-359 (other than I have one) but you might be interested in this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...-feedback.html

Last edited by John Clark; 06-20-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

When I had my Nokia E62, I was happy with the Holux GPSlim 240 SiRF III Bluetooth GPS Receiver, it's the size of a pack of Wrigley's gum. Uses the same mini-USB connector to charge as the BB too, eliminating the need to carry another charger around.

That said, I haven't tried to pair it with the 8800 (since well, it has the built-in gps and all), so I can't comment on performance paired with a BB.
Closed Thread