BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
gary1964uk

Model: 7100T
Default New user....trying to sync mail

Please Login to Remove!

What am I doing wrong? I have connected my handheld to the PC and can sync everything on outlook except the messages!!! (Which is why I bought the thing!)

Cant even see an option on Intellisync for syncing the mailbox....have I neglected to set something.

All the manual says is to refer to the Desktop Software help but that doesnt say much.

Anyone able to help?

Gary
Old 05-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

There is not, nor has there ever been an option to sync the messages via Intellisync.
The only way to sync mail is via a BES
Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
gary1964uk

Default So how do I do it?

So does this mean that with a normal wired connection I can't get the inbox on my Blacberry to replicate the one on my Outlook??? Even with my old electronic organiser I could respond to emails on the organiser and then sync it with outlook......if I've understood you correctly, I'll have to go through the same emails twice....once on blackberry and then once on outlook, trying to remember what I did with them on the blackberry????? What's the point??

Have I misunderstood?????

Gary
Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

The "point" is that the BlackBerry does WIRELESS E-MAIL. It does not sync your Inbox. E-Mail arrives on the BlackBerry, dependinmg on the method you use, any where from instantaneously to 15 minutes after it is received. You do not sync your e-mail.

Now, how are you planning to get the e-mail wirelessly to your BlackBerry? There are several alternatives, all of them described in detail on ine of Mark Rejhon's FAQs in at the top of the General BlackBerry forum.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
texasrose73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Gary,
In your Blackberry Web Client, there is a setting under Profile that will allow you to send a copy of messages that you send from your handheld to another email account. This will BCC the reply to whatever address you input.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I didn't see BWC mentioned anywhere in his e-mails. It looks like he was just trying to use a wired USB connection.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
gary1964uk

Default My requirements and technology

Thanks guys for all the advice.....just to summarise my situation. Our small business uses a POP based mail service which I download into Outlook. It's a company specific email address, not a hotmail or yahoo address and is run by the ISP I use.

I have set up my blackberry so that I can receive the emails to it wirelessly and this seems to work fine. However, at the moment I've left the emails on the server until I sort out the answer to my query.

So I'm dealing with duplicate emails.

I can't have a situation where my emails are only stored on my blackberry. I need them on my laptop and network for future reference, etc.

So what I wanted to do (and maybe this is impossible from your comments) is to receive my emails on the move through my Blackberry (this works fine) but when I get back to base or my hotel to link the blackberry and the laptop and make sure that the emails I've opened, replied to or deleted using the blackberry are mirrored on the laptop. At the moment, I've got to go through all the emails again and delete, etc. Also, I dont have the copy of my replies in my Sent directory.

Have I just misjudged what the Blackberry can do? It seems really odd that with my PDA I can use intellisync to copy my inbox across and alter emails and then re-sync when wired to the network, but dont seem to be able to do that with the Blackberry.

Can I use wireless reconcilliation instead? Or do I need a fancy microsoft exchange system?

I think what I might be struggling with is a combination of perhaps an incorrect expectation of the device but also very poor documentation which doesn't realy explain how the email system works. Plus I'm also used to using Intellisync on my PDA to sync my inbox as well as calendar etc.

Hope the above makes sense.....any ideas?

Gary
Old 05-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
texasag90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I understand (I think).

As far as I know, the only way to actually "sync" emails with a server is by using BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). The "ACTIVESYNC/HOTSYNC" type of functionallity that you are describing is not there for email on the BlackBerry.

In fact, this is why they are so popular with enterprises. They are wireless first and foremost.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
gary1964uk

Thanks but the manual says

"If wireless email reconciliation is not enabled on your handheld,
you must use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to reconcile your
handheld and desktop messages. Refer to the Desktop Software:
Intellisync Help for more information."

So I assume it can be done....just nowhere can I find how .....there's nothing in the Intellisync help. I'm not looking for immediate sync just when I connect via the wire
Old 05-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
gary1964uk

Default thanks.....

Thanks but the manual says...

"If wireless email reconciliation is not enabled on your handheld,
you must use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to reconcile your
handheld and desktop messages. Refer to the Desktop Software:
Intellisync Help for more information."

So I assume it must therefore be possible.

Any clues?

Gary
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #11
jbairdjr

Model: 9550

WIreless reconciliation means between the web client and the handheld.
These will stay the same if you want them to.
As far as the duplicate messages go, I actually prefer that. ON more that one occasion, I have deleted a message on my Blackberry that I realized I needed later. Saved because it also downloaded on my Outlook desktop client.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:58 AM   #12
gary1964uk

Default thanks

so surely the manual is saying that if there is no wireless reconcilliation available it is possible to do it between laptop and handheld!! but how!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
texasag90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well, the redirector seems to have options that in the intellisync section that would make you think this was possible. Apparently it is not...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/arch...hp/t-2707.html

Sorry.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
MikeD

Model: 8700

Bump.
This topic is such a major source of confusion for new users.
All was fine when RIM were marketing to corporate customers.
But now the BB is being sold at the corner cell phone store. If you talk to a retail CSR at Cingular or Tmo you are likely to walk out of the shop with a shiny new BB under the impression that your email will simply sync with Outlook over a USB cable. Heck last year I had a TMo rep tell me that a BB uses ActiveSync to sync with Outlook. I love my new 8700 but the relationship with Outlook is a major step backwards from the PocketPC I migrated from.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
Bump.
This topic is such a major source of confusion for new users.
All was fine when RIM were marketing to corporate customers.
But now the BB is being sold at the corner cell phone store. If you talk to a retail CSR at Cingular or Tmo you are likely to walk out of the shop with a shiny new BB under the impression that your email will simply sync with Outlook over a USB cable. Heck last year I had a TMo rep tell me that a BB uses ActiveSync to sync with Outlook. I love my new 8700 but the relationship with Outlook is a major step backwards from the PocketPC I migrated from.
Many of the store reps have no idea how any of their phones/pda work. I always do some research before I go into a store so I know what to expect. No where in any BB documentation does it mention email syncing except with BES.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

When I had a blackberry 850 by skytel, I was able to sync my emails with outlook. This was a corporate/BES account, so I know that it DOES work, but I don't remember exactly how it was done as this was 4/5 years ago. I loaded it with the redirector option and it synced up my emails to outlook through the cradle.

I haven't been able to do this with BIS even with the director option loaded in DM. The reconcile email option shows up in intellisync, but it does not reconcile any of my emails to outlook. I have the same situation as gary1964uk, I would prefer to get my emails to go on my blackberry first and then at the end of the day, dump them to outlook, then clean them off the blackberry. This way, I can have an archive of all emails sent, responded to, etc..... in case something comes up down the line that i need to look it up for future reference.

Do I have to upgrade to BES and/or hosted BES in order to be able to do this?
Closed Thread