BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Default More Confused then ever about personal security...

Please Login to Remove!

Based on the following article, I am more confused than ever, if one is on a Corporate BES, if PIN Messages, SMS, and mail sent through the BWC truly are "private" or if they can be seen and monitored by a company. It states that "companies can access all communication sent and received through a company-issued BlackBerry". Is that really being done via the BES, or only if messages are saved on the unit itself or backed up on a PC?

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/...ackBerry.xhtml

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

PIN to PIN is not montiorable out of the box. You have to have a third party solution, which is what the article alludes to. Metamessage is one company that I believe makes a product you can buy to archive all messages that go to and from your Blackberry. So, while the messages can be monitored/archived, they can't be archived without extra third party software.

I do agree with the article, however, that one should always assume any communication on a corporate device is being archived or monitored and treated as such.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

We call it the newspaper test - would you want that message (e-mail, SMS, IM) to appear on the front page of the NY Times. If it is questionable, then don't do it.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
PhilMax

Model: 7100g

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. This is actually a good thing. I am involved in "Information Security" for our company and, being totally new to Blackberries, even our admin wasn't sure what we can see, retrieve, etc. We have thought about changing the IT policy and disabling the use of other email services so that all emails would have to go through the BES, for example. It appears that might not even be necessary?

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Using policiies a BES admin can remove the ability to PIN or SMS or BWC so that all communication is done through the server, which can then be monitored by the email admins.

PIN messages are only sniffable by RIM, under subpeona, cause we are in Canada. SMS is sniffable by anyone who your carrier will let tap into the system. The RCMP in Canada have access to anything that flies over any of the carriers in Canada, once againunder subpeona. BWC emails can be sniffed almost anywhere along the way as they are unencrypted outside of RIM, and are sniffable in the same manner as both PIN and SMS messages, depending on where you want to grab them from.

cd.
Closed Thread