BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Georgia
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question WIFI and the T-Mobile Unlimited Blackberry Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, will someone help me out hereÖ..Iíve searched and read, but Iím still not sure. My question is this: I have the T-Mobile $39.99 Blackberry Unlimited Plan and I use my Blackberry for email and internet only (no calling) but I live in an area with ďiffyĒ reception. Would an 8320 on my home wireless network work with this Unlimited Plan?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by evanskl : 11-05-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
anesone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, you'll be able to set up a connection with your home wireless network to send/receive email and browse the web.
__________________
_______________________________________________
Check out my BB tips website
Offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cleveland Rocks!
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 119
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesone View Post
Yes, you'll be able to set up a connection with your home wireless network to send/receive email and browse the web.
Are you saying he wouldn't have to sign up for H@H? He'd get it as part of his unlimited plan?

That might be why my UMA works at home? I have unlimited Berry plan, but didn't sign up for H@H and UMA was working (I've had the 8320 for less than a month for maybe they haven't caught on?) last I checked.

Hmmm...something for nothing?? Go figure.
Offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Helmdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.593
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,365
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beprahst View Post
Are you saying he wouldn't have to sign up for H@H? He'd get it as part of his unlimited plan?

That might be why my UMA works at home? I have unlimited Berry plan, but didn't sign up for H@H and UMA was working (I've had the 8320 for less than a month for maybe they haven't caught on?) last I checked.

Hmmm...something for nothing?? Go figure.
You will get UMA regardless, the H@H feature gives you unlimited calling not the unlimted berry plan. Your minutes will be deducted as per your rate plan without the H@H..
Offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cleveland Rocks!
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 119
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ah, gotcha. I never use all my minutes anyhow, so that's fine. More concerned about reception at home. I would also imagine you won't get the TMO hotspot access either without H@H, but would be able to use free public hotspots. But I've found I can't get UMA in all free wifi spots since it requires (apperantly from other threads) certain backend ports opened or protocols or something. For example I was on a hotel wifi recently and I got data but no UMA.
Offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
anesone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you are in the situation of evanskl though (no voice plan), I would imagine that if you are making calls over UMA, they will most likely be charging you the standard per-minute rates.

Like Helmdawg said, if you have a voice plan, and no H@H, then it will just eat up your minutes, regardless of the wifi network to which you are connected.

Having no voice plan, you can still use wifi, like any other pda with wifi, to surf and email.
__________________
_______________________________________________
Check out my BB tips website
Offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
anesone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beprahst View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ah, gotcha. I never use all my minutes anyhow, so that's fine. More concerned about reception at home. I would also imagine you won't get the TMO hotspot access either without H@H, but would be able to use free public hotspots. But I've found I can't get UMA in all free wifi spots since it requires (apperantly from other threads) certain backend ports opened or protocols or something. For example I was on a hotel wifi recently and I got data but no UMA.
Before I added H@H, I could go to a Starbucks or TMO store and use their TMO hotspot to make UMA calls. I think at those locations, they are more concerned about folks with laptops connecting to the network.
__________________
_______________________________________________
Check out my BB tips website
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.