BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/)
-   -   Download T-Mobile UMA certs (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/111891-download-t-mobile-uma-certs.html)

harveyjc_2001 01-01-2008 02:08 PM

Download T-Mobile UMA certs
 
Anyone have a downlad link for the T-Mobile UMA certs? I need to download them from the handheld browser.

I am trying to get an 8120 working with UMA, but the OS does not have the certs pre-installed.

John Clark 01-01-2008 02:20 PM

http://mobile.blackberry.com


The link should be on your device already in the bookmarks. BlackberryHelp

jopfer 01-01-2008 02:29 PM

Here is the link...

HotSpot @Home (UMA) is not working on my BlackBerry Curve 8320

You have to go to it from your phone!!!

However, I doubt that it will work as your 8120 needs special hotspot@home firmware that basicall makes it a t-mobile phone. Where did you get the 8120? When you boot it up does it show as being a T-mobile phone with the T-mobile hotspot@home splash screen?

John Clark 01-01-2008 02:36 PM

Yeah, I missed that in the post. Didn't read far enough.

You won't likely get the 8120 working with UMA. Only TMobile devices will work with UMA.

jaylasad 01-02-2008 07:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Guys,

I just installed these verts on my unlocked 8320 (Branded Orange Fr) and rebooted the device using the Tmobile US sim card, but i am still not able to connect to the UMA. I am attaching the screenshot of my WiFi diagnostics. I would appreciate any tips or help on how to make this device connect to the Tmobile UMA server and not the Orange one.

Thanks

cwichura 01-02-2008 12:30 PM

Based on those screenshots, it is still trying to use Orange's UNC (which obviously won't know the T-Mobile certs). The UMA spec says that the UNC information should come from the SIM card, though I don't know if RIM is following that or doing something on their own. It may be that you need a different service book sent down for it to get the proper UNC address.

jaylasad 01-02-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwichura (Post 791885)
Based on those screenshots, it is still trying to use Orange's UNC (which obviously won't know the T-Mobile certs). The UMA spec says that the UNC information should come from the SIM card, though I don't know if RIM is following that or doing something on their own. It may be that you need a different service book sent down for it to get the proper UNC address.

I doubt RIM would be hardcoding anything. I would have thought this is either coded in the SIM card or in the certs but unfortunately still pointing to the Orange server, very puzzling .

Soapm 01-02-2008 08:40 PM

Wow, glad I saw this thread. I was just about to pull the trigger on a 8820. I am with TMO and all they have is the 8800 which doesn't have WiFi.

Will I have this same problem if I get a AT&T unlocked 8820?

John Clark 01-03-2008 12:22 AM

Soap! Just get the 8320. Trust me on this one.

Yes, you won't get UMA with an 8820.

Soapm 01-03-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 792328)
Soap! Just get the 8320. Trust me on this one.

Yes, you won't get UMA with an 8820.

Well that really bites, I stopped by TMO today at lunch and thought the 8300 was too small in my hands but I really liked the fell of the 8800. I also didn't think too much of the camera on the 8300. The zoom went from 1, 3 to 5 and the pictures didn't turn out that well (in my eyes). The keyboard was also loose on the display model.

I thought the 8800 was one fine machine and I can see myself behind the wheel of one of them.

Oh well, back to plan A and get the 8320...

John Clark 01-03-2008 01:38 AM

Put a Seidio Hardcase on the Curve and feels great in the hand. Get the rubberized backed one--not the clear backed one.

jaylasad 01-03-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 792328)
Soap! Just get the 8320. Trust me on this one.

Yes, you won't get UMA with an 8820.

Based on my experince so far, which i have to admit is limited - if the device is not branded Tmobile, you will not be able to get the Tmobile UMA to function on it even if Tmobile supports this device. In my case, i purchased a BB8320 from Orange Fr, and unfortunately i am not able to have the UMA come up which is a bummer.

cwichura 01-03-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylasad (Post 792010)
I doubt RIM would be hardcoding anything. I would have thought this is either coded in the SIM card or in the certs but unfortunately still pointing to the Orange server, very puzzling .

I sincerely doubt RIM is hardcoding it. After all, people have used the .184 build from Asia on 8320s on T-Mobile's network and it has worked. If they are hard-coding it, then it's something that is in _all_ builds. Something like an initialization section of code that says "if vendor=tmonbile then, else if vendor=orangefr then, ...". But that seems rather pointless to me. Given the way RIM does things, I'd really expect it to be something hidden in one of the service books, if they are not using the spec and getting it from the SIM.

What SIM are you using in your Orange Fr device and where did you get it from? Do you know anyone with a T-Mobile branded 8320 that you could try temporarily popping the SIM into?

jaylasad 01-03-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwichura (Post 792658)
I sincerely doubt RIM is hardcoding it. After all, people have used the .184 build from Asia on 8320s on T-Mobile's network and it has worked. If they are hard-coding it, then it's something that is in _all_ builds. Something like an initialization section of code that says "if vendor=tmonbile then, else if vendor=orangefr then, ...". But that seems rather pointless to me. Given the way RIM does things, I'd really expect it to be something hidden in one of the service books, if they are not using the spec and getting it from the SIM.

What SIM are you using in your Orange Fr device and where did you get it from? Do you know anyone with a T-Mobile branded 8320 that you could try temporarily popping the SIM into?

I am testing it with my Tmobile US sim card since as i still have a t-mobile account. I tested this same sim on a Tmobile braded phone and it worked fine, meaning i got the UMA and was able to call. So the question remains what would be hardcoded or what file will contains that if-then-else that is causing the deive to always try to connect to the Orange server even when having a Tmobile sim in it? :-(

Soapm 01-03-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylasad (Post 792689)
I am testing it with my Tmobile US sim card since as i still have a t-mobile account. I tested this same sim on a Tmobile braded phone and it worked fine, meaning i got the UMA and was able to call. So the question remains what would be hardcoded or what file will contains that if-then-else that is causing the deive to always try to connect to the Orange server even when having a Tmobile sim in it? :-(

The device that worked, what kind (model) was it?

I wonder if TMO looks at the type of device to include model number and since it network knows an 8800 series should be requesting a WiFi cert it denies it. Based on what you say above, it has to be network driven.

I wonder if changing the device to a Curve in the website might trick it into giving up the goods...

John Clark 01-03-2008 09:32 PM

I have a feeling it looks at the device type AND vendor code. If they don't match what TMo allows, no UMA. This is just an assumption, however.

jaylasad 01-04-2008 04:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Both devices are 8320, one branded T-mobile and the other branded Orange Fr. With the same conditions, i.e. same WiFi and same T-Mobile US SIM card, the Orange Fr still looks for the Orange server and T-mobile connects fine on the UMA. Also, i have installed the Tmobile certs on the Orange Fr device. Here's the diagnostics that i am getting when using the Orange device:

cwichura 01-04-2008 11:02 AM

Have you tried getting T-Mobile to resend you all the service books?

jaylasad 01-04-2008 11:33 AM

how can i get them to do that? Does it matter if I only have tmobile family plan but dont have data plan for blackberry?

Also, another question: is there anyway to change the vendor code in the device, meaning switch this code from 119 (Orange F) to 100 for Tmobile?

cwichura 01-04-2008 12:44 PM

You need to call them. Also, if you don't have a Blackberry data plan, you want to make sure they add the "Blackberry Feature Enabler" to your phone's account anyway.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.