BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laguna beach
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The benefits of Wi-Fi

Please Login to Remove!

So, I have the new 8320 from T-Mobile and love it. I have has Blackberrys before they where phones.

However, I don't quite get the benefits of the Wi-Fi other than that I am able to make calls thru UMA from another country to the US and only using plan minutes.

If I connect thru my Cable internet at home on my 8320 (I use a Linksys router upgraded to the latest firmware) it shows UMA and my network, but its not like its connecting at significantly faster speeds than on edge, or at least it seems so to me.

My question is:

WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST BENEFITS OF WI-FI/ UMA/ etc??? How would the T-Mobile@ Home benefit me?

Thanks for your responses...
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

I get a lot more speed out of my wifi than I do EDGE.

H@H just gives you unlimited minutes over wifi. Without it your UMA minutes come out of your regular minute bucket.

The download speed is also limited by device processor speed, so it can only get as good as the processor.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
If I connect thru my Cable internet at home on my 8320 (I use a Linksys router upgraded to the latest firmware) it shows UMA and my network, but its not like its connecting at significantly faster speeds than on edge, or at least it seems so to me.
When you use the Browser are you using the Wi-Fi browser? When I first started using my 8320 (when I had it) I was connected via UMA but was still mistakenly using the regular Internet browser. Once I got my Browser bookmarks set properly to use the Wi-Fi browser, the speeds were much faster.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Yes, and if you're still using OS 4.2.2.171 you will see a speed increase by upgrading to 4.2.2.180 or .184.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laguna beach
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

yes, I am connected to the Wi-Fi Browser...dont notice a big difference?

Anything else that is a big benefit? Especially regarding travel?

Last edited by harrypotter : 02-05-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laguna beach
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have 4.2.2.180
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.22 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter
yes, I am connected to the Wi-Fi Browser...dont notice a big difference?

Anything else that is a big benefit? Especially regarding travel?
It'll do your taxes.

What else do you want it to do?
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laguna beach
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

How much is TMO gonna charge me?
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.22 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

For what? There is no charge for wifi/UMA unless you want H@H. UMA works without it, though.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laguna beach
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
How much is TMO gonna charge me?
for my taxes....
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.22 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I should've seen that one coming!
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Powfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
When you use the Browser are you using the Wi-Fi browser? When I first started using my 8320 (when I had it) I was connected via UMA but was still mistakenly using the regular Internet browser. Once I got my Browser bookmarks set properly to use the Wi-Fi browser, the speeds were much faster.
So i just unlocked my 8820 from AT&T, i heard that I can use my wifi now without a data plan. Although I'm not sure if when i'm using the browser now that if it's WIFI. How can i tell? THANKS
Offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Welcome to the forums.

Well, if you don't have a data plan through your carrier (AT&T) then what else would it be using?
Offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Powfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, I don't have a data plan. Therefore I thought that the 8820 just like the iphone and 8925,8525, had wifi that could be used without a data plan. Is that not true? I just got my phone unlocked and heard that that would allow me to use wifi without the data plan. Is that possible? Thanks and thank you for the warm welcome
Offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

My point was that if you don't have a data plan then the only data you could possibly be using was that of your wifi. Without a data plan, though, you won't be able to get push email or use any of the apps that require specific blackberry data like BBMessenger, PIN messaging, etc.

You should be able to use the wifi browser to surf the web and download applications. There are some apps that use wifi and some that don't.

Unlocking the device has no effect on this. All that unlocking does is allow you to use another provider's sim card in it.
Offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Powfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you very much.

Ok, lets say that I've connected to my school's FREE wifi(i don't have a data plan). Then i go to my browser, how do I know that I am using WIFI data? The thing is, I got charged last month for data (you can still use DATA without a DATA PLAN, but you get charged with a tremendous bill) because I was browsing and I thought i was using ONLY wifi, but apparently just because I'm connected to WIFI, doesn't mean I still can't get charged. I've been hearing all sorts of things lately so excuse me if I seem confused by what you said.

Basically, AT&T has told me that the WIFI on the 8820 is not meant to be used BY ITSELF. It's supposed to work complementary with the DATA PLAN that most blackberry users sign up for. I can technically BROWSE without a data plan or wifi on, it just costs me a whole bunch of money.
Offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Mile Hi City
Model: 9780
OS: 6.0
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 2,790
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powfo View Post
Thank you very much.

Ok, lets say that I've connected to my school's FREE wifi(i don't have a data plan). Then i go to my browser, how do I know that I am using WIFI data? The thing is, I got charged last month for data (you can still use DATA without a DATA PLAN, but you get charged with a tremendous bill) because I was browsing and I thought i was using ONLY wifi, but apparently just because I'm connected to WIFI, doesn't mean I still can't get charged. I've been hearing all sorts of things lately so excuse me if I seem confused by what you said.

Basically, AT&T has told me that the WIFI on the 8820 is not meant to be used BY ITSELF. It's supposed to work complementary with the DATA PLAN that most blackberry users sign up for. I can technically BROWSE without a data plan or wifi on, it just costs me a whole bunch of money.
Sounds like you'd do good to get a data plan and never worry about data charges again.
Offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laguna beach
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For 20 bucks a month, why wouldn't you get unlimited data? Your basically neglecting 99% of the BB's functions w/o a data plan...
__________________
Where is the Search button??
Offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Powfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I believe it's 29.99 a month? Yes, I do understand that if I got a data plan this would probably solve my problems, however, I've been told through numerous sources that I can use my WIFI without having a data plan... but from my own personal experience, I haven't found that to be the case.
Offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Helmdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.593
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,365
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powfo View Post
I believe it's 29.99 a month? Yes, I do understand that if I got a data plan this would probably solve my problems, however, I've been told through numerous sources that I can use my WIFI without having a data plan... but from my own personal experience, I haven't found that to be the case.
With T-Mo a BIS data plan (unlimited) is $19.99 with qualifying voice plan.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.