02-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Knows Where the Search Button Is
Join Date: Jun 2005
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Issue resolved
For full disclosure on my current setup:
BlackBerry connects dynamically to DLink Dl-824VUP and gets a 192.168.1.x address. DLink connects to my company's internal network and has a fixed IP of 192.168.0.29 on my company's 192.168.0.x subnet. My company's internal network is connected to internet via a hardware firewall which is connected to a T1. My firewall allows all traffic outbound over ports 80, 443, 3389 etc. UMA uses port 443.
I found that when my 8320 connects to the DLink and tried to initiate the UMA connection, 192.168.0.29 was making requests to what I assume to be a T-Mobile IP address over random ports. Hence they were being blocked. I then allowed 192.168.0.29 full access to the internet and UMA came alive. The line from my log that showed a successful connection for UMA is below:
Source - 192.168.0.29:57277
Destination - 220.127.116.11:443
This was blocked before I opened up the firewall.
I am guessing that others may have a simple access point that gives an address on the main subnet (if that were the case in my example the 8320 would have a 192.168.0.x address). If you are in this situation and you need to open a hole in the firewall, remember you can fix the IP address in your BlackBerry by unchecking the box next to 'Automatically obtain IP address and DNS' in Wi-Fi Options>[Saved Profile Name]>Edit dialog.
I hope this will help someone figure out their issue down the road.