I have a blackberry 8220. I'm trying to connect to the wifi on campus and the status shows as "network acquired" but I have been unable to actually browse the internet or connect to UMA (UMA shows as available but error code W006.1). I really want to get this to work since the tmobile service isnt good in this area at all.
I have no data plan and I use my phone every day on my home wifi to browse, chat, install apps etc and it works perfectly at home.
On a computer the way the schools internet works is: you open a browser and it directs you automatically to a login page where you put in your username and pass and then you're good to go. I have been able to get to the login page on my blackberry but after I put the info in, it either takes me back to the login page or it just comes up with a connection error.
I've searched these forums and googled this problem for the past week and haven't been able to come up with any solutions. Hopefully you guys can help or if this was discussed in a thread I somehow missed feel free to point me in the right direction.
I've never been able to get those kind of access points to work with my Blackberry, though I don't really try that hard when I encounter them.
It may be that there is a browser emulation issue and the access point doesn't know how to present the page to a Blackberry browser. You can try changing the browser identification to Firefox or IE in the options.
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.
I enabled all the java options in the browser but still no luck. Are you using only the blackberry browser or are you able to use 3rd party ones like opera mini or bolt?
Another point i forgot to mention: on the laptop after you connect at my school you have to change the proxy settings as well and that is an option I have not been able to find in my blackberry. Do you guys know if any such setting exists?
I'm a little jealous of all the kids with iphones and itouches on campus they all connected with no problems but us blackberry users seem to be having problems :(
ah the IT dept wasnt much help. they basically said "after you do what you did change the proxy and it should work"
i suppose thats true i mean thats what the kids with iphones did but there doesnt seem to be a proxy option for the blackberry unless someone can prove me wrong? (and im really hoping someone will lol)
it is absolutely impossible to set up a proxy on a blackberry or any of its browsers?? thats really disappointing. you've killed my hopes and dreams Berry One but thanks to everyone for trying to help.
WiFi hotspots are usually not so complicated to have access to. I am impressed there are places on Earth where IT dept still doesn't have a clue of blackberry WiFi. Tells me RIM has many more markets for their blackberries. Go RIM.
It may have to do with the MAC address needing to be registered. My campus works slightly differently, you register your devices once for the year and its auto-login. I know that ours I had to send my blackberry's MAC address to the IT dept to register, because the self-registration isn't set up for blackberry's only computers, iphones, and gaming consoles.
at my school you have to login every day so i dont think the MAC address applies to this problem. I think what it comes down to is there needs to be an option to change the proxy on blackberries. I really hope they come out with a solution to this problem. Changing the proxy is a standard option on iphones, windows mobile devices, and palm smartphones. Hopefully our guys see this and address it.