BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8900 Browser with Wifi + data plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone,

I'm a new blackberry user, and I have a quick question.

I just figured out how to set the browser to a "hotspot browser" in order to use the WiFi connection for browsing.

My question is this: Is there a way to set the phone so the browser automatically uses WiFi when available, and use my data plan when it is not?

Currently I have to switch it from a hotspot browser to a MediaNet browser everytime I gain or lose wifi signal.

Thanks!
Offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,638
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not on AT&T, so not exactly sure. But there are two different options that come into play.

First set the default browser to the hotspot browser. - Options > Advanced > Browser >

Also, in connections, you can set the preference to wi-fi preferred. Manage Connections > Mobile Networks Options > Connection Preference
Offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for the reply.

I changed the default browser to a hotspot browser, but I don't have the option to change "Connection Preference."

I think that's what I need to change, but it doesn't give me the option to.

Edit: Also, if I have it set to "hotspot browser" and I lose wi-fi, it gives me a message saying "This is a wi-fi service. Please ensure your device has an active wi-fi connection and try again."

Last edited by usernumber009 : 08-25-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,638
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernumber009 View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I changed the default browser to a hotspot browser, but I don't have the option to change "Connection Preference."

I think that's what I need to change, but it doesn't give me the option to.

Edit: Also, if I have it set to "hotspot browser" and I lose wi-fi, it gives me a message saying "This is a wi-fi service. Please ensure your device has an active wi-fi connection and try again."
Hopefully someone with AT&T chimes in. I actually have Internet Browser as an option and that option works just fine no matter the connection.

On the connection preference, sounds like it's in a different spot in options now. Or it is UMA specific, in which case you won't have it:
Change your preferred network type
Offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bombay, India
Model: 8520
OS: 4.6.1.286
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Loop Moblie
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am having a different problem... I just bought the 8520... I think after reading up so many forums I have set it up correctly... I have set the Default browser to hotspot browser etc. It connects to the wi-fi and everthing but when I try to open a page it says no internet connection please check your connection...

I haven't activated the Blackberry services... Do I need to activate them even if I am surfing through wi-fi? Please help...
Offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: LEZ10
OS: 10.0.10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Posts: 1,704
Post Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
I am having a different problem... I just bought the 8520... I think after reading up so many forums I have set it up correctly... I have set the Default browser to hotspot browser etc. It connects to the wi-fi and everthing but when I try to open a page it says no internet connection please check your connection...

I haven't activated the Blackberry services... Do I need to activate them even if I am surfing through wi-fi? Please help...
Double hijack.
__________________
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bombay, India
Model: 8520
OS: 4.6.1.286
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Loop Moblie
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sorry... My bad...
Offline  
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

My understanding is that if wifi is turned on and is connected, the device will default to that instead of the normal data plan. This is default and isn't a setting found on the phone.
Offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: maxis
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

that is for browser, what about for facebook and others internet program,
Offline  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: LEZ10
OS: 10.0.10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Posts: 1,704
Post Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISEL View Post
that is for browser, what about for facebook and others internet program,
It is for anything that uses the RIM infrastructure: BIS, BES, MDS, PIN to PIN, BBM, Email, Internet Browser, BlackBerry Browser and RIM provided IM and social networking apps (including RIM's Facebook app).
__________________
My other Blackberry is a PlayBook.

Last edited by hrbuckley : 03-12-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.