BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/)
-   -   BlackBerry As Wireless Router (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/206458-blackberry-wireless-router.html)

snipeseye 10-07-2009 07:31 AM

BlackBerry As Wireless Router
 
Hi,

I would like to turn my BlackBerry (running on GSM) into a wireless/wifi router. I don't mind a software or a hardware solution but the only requirement is that the solution should connect via my BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) rather than a regular connection (not to sure what it's called). Is is possible to connect only through BIS?

I've tried searching, but I found an EVDO dongle and can't use it and I'm not sure if it uses BIS.

Any ideas/solutions? Thanks!

Trimix 10-07-2009 01:09 PM

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

I don't know if you can use your BB as a router but the closest thing I know of is tethering.

snipeseye 10-08-2009 06:11 AM

No, I need it to be a wireless router so that I can use it with multiple devices while on the go.

Trimix 10-08-2009 07:55 AM

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Ah I don't think that's possible because the BB wasn't designed to re-transmit out to other devices. You might want to try to do a search. I remember this topic being discussed before.

jonzh 10-09-2009 12:25 AM

may not be want you want, but some close is here:
 
TetherBerry is the answer --- but it only enpowers one Laptop that is connected to it. However, someone may try to bubble more units at the sametime.

A word of caution: when I used TetherBerry, it crashed my VPNs (work, hotel, home...) :bb:

daphne 10-09-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipeseye (Post 1485225)
No, I need it to be a wireless router so that I can use it with multiple devices while on the go.

It sounds like you need something like the Verizon MiFi. I think ATT has something similar.

snipeseye 10-11-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzh (Post 1485807)
TetherBerry is the answer --- but it only enpowers one Laptop that is connected to it. However, someone may try to bubble more units at the sametime.:

As far as I can tell, TetherBerry doesn't do wifi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1485810)
It sounds like you need something like the Verizon MiFi. I think ATT has something similar.

My carrier in Dubai (Etisalat) unfortunately doesn't offer anything like that! I would build/hack a solution together, but the data charges are ridiculous, $50 for 1GB (it starts of with $10 for 10MB!!). That's why I would like to try use my BlackBerry because I pay for unlimited data (I know it's got a fair usage clause).

MidnightDraven 10-15-2009 06:39 PM

what you want, isnt possible. full stop.

mmagallanes 10-19-2009 04:43 PM

You can accomplish what you want with several routers from a company called Cradlepoint. Model PHS300 is battery powered so you can use it while on the road. Google them and check them out.

RickCharles 10-29-2009 01:05 PM

I would like my blackberry to transport me through time and space. Unfortunately, its just not configured to do that at this time.

hrbuckley 10-29-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickCharles (Post 1497707)
I would like my blackberry to transport me through time and space. Unfortunately, its just not configured to do that at this time.

Isn't that planned for 5.1?

piusg 11-04-2009 01:13 PM

There were several rumors of the Storm 2 hitting the streets with "MiFi" capability, such as this rumor right here:

Storm 2 hitting Verizon with 'MiFi capability?'

...and if the rumor were true, I would currently have a Storm 2 right at this very moment.

However, what I think was more likely, was that some Verizon functionary got the 'M' and 'W' keys juxtaposed whilst typing in the specs for the new Storm 2 (it's an honest mistake--I mean, an 'M' does look like a 'W' on its back). Hence, the rumor.

piusg 11-04-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickCharles (Post 1497707)
I would like my blackberry to transport me through time and space. Unfortunately, its just not configured to do that at this time.

I think there's a USB Flux Capacitor/Mr. Fusion attachment available from Seidio.

Now there's just matter of getting all of you up to 88 miles per hour...

NJBlackBerry 11-04-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piusg (Post 1501342)
There were several rumors of the Storm 2 hitting the streets with "MiFi" capability, such as this rumor right here:

Storm 2 hitting Verizon with 'MiFi capability?'

...and if the rumor were true, I would currently have a Storm 2 right at this very moment.

However, what I think was more likely, was that some Verizon functionary got the 'M' and 'W' keys juxtaposed whilst typing in the specs for the new Storm 2 (it's an honest mistake--I mean, an 'M' does look like a 'W' on its back). Hence, the rumor.

I believe there was one rumor, repeated.

Since the Storm 2 is out, wouldn't someone have actually noticed it?

And why would Verizon, which resisted WiFi until the bitter end, canabalize their MiFi sales?

Since it is already out on Verizon Wireless' web site, with no mention of MiFi, I strongly doubt it.

(There are other threads on this)....

MidnightDraven 11-04-2009 05:33 PM

I don't even know what mifi is...i must google it.

Worker 11-06-2009 06:12 AM

Mifi on Wired.

wcr3d 11-06-2009 07:23 AM

If you tether it, then do a connection share from your laptop, you should have the same effect. Albeit the laptop is actually acting as the router.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.