BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey : 12-24-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx
Posts: 476
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
You do not need the plan to simply make calls over a wireless Internet connection.
Dave
I couldn't make *any* call via wi-fi. None! Calls I made dropped after two seconds or so. Only with h@H that I am able to call. My situation might be unique but that's my story and I am sticking with it
__________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ~ Dr. Seuss
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey : 12-24-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
I couldn't make *any* call via wi-fi. None! Calls I made dropped after two seconds or so. Only with h@H that I am able to call. My situation might be unique but that's my story and I am sticking with it
That most likely has more to do with your router than with the BB or the UMA service.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington DC
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think itxxx8217;s the old Root Certificate and Trust Certificate. Go to help (the yellow?) on the device and go to the BlackBerry HELP! website. The first link is xxx8220;HotSpot @ home (UMA) not working on my BlackBerry Curve 8320xxx8221; follow that link and download new Root Certificate and Trust Certificate. If you used the device switch tool, of did a backup and restore of an older device then old Certificate were copped to the new device.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
zGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx
Posts: 476
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That most likely has more to do with your router than with the BB or the UMA service.
I agree. There's a thread related for those of us using the (Apple's) Airport Extreme "n" router. Stay tuned...
bb 8320 uma and airport extreme n
__________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ~ Dr. Seuss
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
jchin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligeof View Post
I think it’s the old Root Certificate and Trust Certificate. Go to help (the yellow?) on the device and go to the BlackBerry HELP! website. The first link is “HotSpot @ home (UMA) not working on my BlackBerry Curve 8320” follow that link and download new Root Certificate and Trust Certificate. If you used the device switch tool, of did a backup and restore of an older device then old Certificate were copped to the new device.
That is exactly what I did after I "transferred my settings" from my 7100t to the Curve 8320. After the certificates were installed, I had to power cycle it completely (battery out and back in). Then the "UMA" showed up and I am now able to make and receive calls via WiFI (the T-Mobile GSM/GPRS/EDGE signal by my house sucks, only 1 bar 90% of the time). So now via WiFI it is great!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 45
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
Keep in mind that your minutes are free only when using at your home or any other t-mobile hot spot, not just any other open network.
No .. they are free if you have the hotspot@home plan and then u can be on any wi-fi network. if you dont have the hotspot@home plan then they will free as per your monthly plan .. eg .nights and weekends in most cases
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lansdowne, Pa
Model: 8320
PIN: 243320DB
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Installing the certificates worked for me as well. Thank you
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
rtst31975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas City
Model: 8320
PIN: 241F0001
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
Keep in mind that your minutes are free only when using at your home or any other t-mobile hot spot, not just any other open network.
Actually I believe it's any wifi. We just signed up and only had 104 minutes used on our monthly plan and had over 1000 minutes on wifi usage. Which means that all my calls are free at work which is just a hot spot for our work, not T-Mobile.
__________________
T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320 Titanium [Unlocked, OS: BB 8320 4.5.18, 4 GB SD Card]
Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 [2GB SD Card]
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey : 12-24-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: RI
Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

that is correct,
if you have the HotSpot @Home add on to your plan, any time you INITIATE a call on UMA those calls are unlimited.
it works in reverse too, if you initiate a call on the towers and walk in to your house, and switch over to UMA, that call will be billed how it was initiated... and it will come out of your bucket of mins.

you do not have to have the @home add on to your plan to utilize UMA, you will utilize your bucket of mins, but can still take advantage of the reception you get in your home / work's WIFI signal
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Options>Set Up WiF>Next>Scan for Networks>Find Network>Connect>Next>Wi-Fi Hotspot Login..........Blackberry Splash Screen "Your Blackberry Device is no connected to the Interent">Blackberry Menu Key>Close>Finish.........Your WiFi Cloud becomes bold and UMA should appear....try it
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question New to BB - Curve 8320 WiFi issues!

Ok, I must be a blonde when it comes to my new Blackberry Curve 8320. Have the same problems as I've read above and on various other threads.... can't seem to connect to the wifi. The phone seems to recognise the BT home hub that I am using, but the little icon in the Manage connections bit is still yellow with a line through.
I have tried the full wipe then selective restore.... still no change, although I am getting EDGE intermittantly (more off than on)
Can anyone recommend anything?
On the whole, the 8320 works fine, I get my emails (I think via GPRS?) and it does all i need it to, I'm not a heavy internet browser on the blackberry (I'm on Orange and really dont want to run over my 6mb target) and I'm generally happy with it.... but I feel like its got more capability and if I could sort out the WIFI i'd like to browse more and save my orange data for when I have no other choice. Does that make sense?????
Jo
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi, can anyone help me?

I have an 8320 which was from orange UK, I have since had it unlocked and am using my T-Mobile UK Sim card in it which is on web and walk and have the Blackberry data plan enabled.

I am able to use wi-fi for internet and for emails but I have never had UMA on my phone?
when I check my wifi diagnostic it says UMA wi-fi Available with a green tick next to it but has a red cross for connection? Error status is problem with ISP or T-Mobile network?
Can anyone help me? Do I need to do anything to my router? I am using the BT Home Hub.

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Various
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not sure if this is relevant to the UMA problem. Since UMA is a form of IP tunneling, is it possible the router/firewall is not set up to accept packets via the port used for UMA?

Might explain why some routers work and others don't.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renigade View Post
Hi, can anyone help me?

I have an 8320 which was from orange UK, I have since had it unlocked and am using my T-Mobile UK Sim card in it which is on web and walk and have the Blackberry data plan enabled.

I am able to use wi-fi for internet and for emails but I have never had UMA on my phone?
when I check my wifi diagnostic it says UMA wi-fi Available with a green tick next to it but has a red cross for connection? Error status is problem with ISP or T-Mobile network?
Can anyone help me? Do I need to do anything to my router? I am using the BT Home Hub.

Thanks
You can't get UMA on a provider's network while using another provider's branded BB. It just won't work. Wifi should work but you'll never see UMA.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CA
Model: 8320
OS: 4.2.2.180
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default One Way Audio on Home Network with FIOS

OK, this is driving me crazy and having me waste a lot of time. First, let me say that UMA works fine outside of my house. However, at home I have Verizon FIOS with an Actiontec MI424-WR router and people I call from home while on UMA can hear me talking but I cannot hear them. I first spent almost 2 hours on the phone with TMo and got nowhere other than their changing the channel on my router. I then spent about 30 minutes with a helpful FIOS tech who went through many steps with me all to no avail. I then called back TMo and they suggested that I get their Linksys H@H router and bridge it to the Actiontec. Did that--I got the Linksys WRT54G-TM H@H router, bridged it onto my Actiontec and no change--still one way audio. I then spent about 2.5 hours on the phone last Saturday with upper level H@H support who then got an upper level person at Actiontec on the line. After fooling with various settings, the end result was no solution. The TMo guy was intent on having the Linksys act as the router but we could not do that because I have FIOS over coax. Further, the Actiontec guy--in response to the TMo guy asking how to get the Actiontec to just pass through the FIOS data without filtering it (if that makes any sense)--said that Verizon disables a setting which would allow complete pass through of the FIOS signal to the Linksys router which further prevented my being able to use the service. The TMo guy also mentioned that he has been able to do that type of work around in TX but for whatever reason, the CA Actiontec router cannot be adjusted that way. So, the TMo guy said that the bottom line solution is for my coax to be replaced with ethernet and then to get rid of the Actiontec altogether. Can this be correct? There must be a setting somewhere that is preventing me from hearing people at home--especially since UMA works fine outside of my house proving to me that it is a router set up issue, no? AHHHH!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,638
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Koncius View Post
OK, this is driving me crazy and having me waste a lot of time. First, let me say that UMA works fine outside of my house. However, at home I have Verizon FIOS with an Actiontec MI424-WR router and people I call from home while on UMA can hear me talking but I cannot hear them. I first spent almost 2 hours on the phone with TMo and got nowhere other than their changing the channel on my router. I then spent about 30 minutes with a helpful FIOS tech who went through many steps with me all to no avail. I then called back TMo and they suggested that I get their Linksys H@H router and bridge it to the Actiontec. Did that--I got the Linksys WRT54G-TM H@H router, bridged it onto my Actiontec and no change--still one way audio. I then spent about 2.5 hours on the phone last Saturday with upper level H@H support who then got an upper level person at Actiontec on the line. After fooling with various settings, the end result was no solution. The TMo guy was intent on having the Linksys act as the router but we could not do that because I have FIOS over coax. Further, the Actiontec guy--in response to the TMo guy asking how to get the Actiontec to just pass through the FIOS data without filtering it (if that makes any sense)--said that Verizon disables a setting which would allow complete pass through of the FIOS signal to the Linksys router which further prevented my being able to use the service. The TMo guy also mentioned that he has been able to do that type of work around in TX but for whatever reason, the CA Actiontec router cannot be adjusted that way. So, the TMo guy said that the bottom line solution is for my coax to be replaced with ethernet and then to get rid of the Actiontec altogether. Can this be correct? There must be a setting somewhere that is preventing me from hearing people at home--especially since UMA works fine outside of my house proving to me that it is a router set up issue, no? AHHHH!
I have Fios with an Actiontec router and mine works fine. I can get calls over the Actiontec wifi, but it is not really a reliable connection qualitywise so I have a Linksys attached.

There are settings in the Actiontec to prioritize the wifi, but the Linksys can also be prioritized. When I get a chance I'll see what I've got on my router. It actually didn't take more than one or two check boxes to get it to work ok. One annoying thing is I've prioritized my Paket8 VOIP box and my Curve so regular internet browsing is impacted. Links sometimes take 2 or 3 attempts to start loading. Downloading files also sometimes takes a few tries.

There is some way to port forward which I believe routes the connection straight through. But I don't understand how to get that done. I think the ports for Tmobile UMA are actuall a range which is why I've never been able to understand it. The help file at Actiontec walks through setting up a specific address.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,638
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I checked and under Advanced Options, then Quality of Service on the left side you can prioritize the devices.

Another thing ocurred to me. The Verizon box where the fiber optics line comes to the building has a network connection in it. Mine is hooked up via coax coming from that box but it'll work via a network connection as well. I've considered plugging the Linksys straight into the box to see if it would connect but haven't gotten around to it. My guess it it wouldn't. But perhaps running a network cable to the Actiontec would be beter than coax.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.