BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/)
-   -   WIFI and UMA (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/97352-wifi-uma.html)

slow 09-27-2007 02:05 PM

WIFI and UMA
 
hi all,

i am wondering how fast does your 8320 go into wifi uma mode when you go into a hotspot area? i am asking because as of yesterday, my phone will go into wifi uma as soon as i walk within range. however, this morning, i got a sim card error for what ever reason, after taking the battery out and re seating the sim card, the phone will no longer change into wifi uma when in range. it will hold on to edge signal as long as possible. the wifi will eventually connect, and the voice portion will still be on tmo. it take at least 2 - 3 minuts after wifi connect for it to switch over. also, when walking out of hotspot area, it will drop to SOS first before picking up tmo signal. this is causing all my calls to get dropped during transition.

anyone encountering this type of problems? the phone was in perfect working order as of this morning. i had to reboot due to sim card error. i am not sure what to do now.

btw, the phone is set to WIFI preferred in the setting.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

Kit 09-27-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow (Post 684160)
hi all,

i am wondering how fast does your 8320 go into wifi uma mode when you go into a hotspot area? i am asking because as of yesterday, my phone will go into wifi uma as soon as i walk within range. however, this morning, i got a sim card error for what ever reason, after taking the battery out and re seating the sim card, the phone will no longer change into wifi uma when in range. it will hold on to edge signal as long as possible. the wifi will eventually connect, and the voice portion will still be on tmo. it take at least 2 - 3 minuts after wifi connect for it to switch over. also, when walking out of hotspot area, it will drop to SOS first before picking up tmo signal. this is causing all my calls to get dropped during transition.

anyone encountering this type of problems? the phone was in perfect working order as of this morning. i had to reboot due to sim card error. i am not sure what to do now.

btw, the phone is set to WIFI preferred in the setting.

There are two issues currently. Numerous users (myself included) are currently experiencing a full UMA outage. If you go to Options->WiFi Connections->Wi-Fi Diagnostics you will likely see a "ISP or T-Mobile network error". The hand-off issue is a known issue affecting most if not all users in California. It is not clear if the fix will be to the towers or handset, but T-Mobile doesn't expect that to be fixed until October 22nd.

-Kit

Kit 09-27-2007 06:17 PM

I just called and spoke with T-Mobile as I still am unable to connect to UMA. They said that engineering thought that they had service restored and that they are re-opening the case.

What a mess.

-Kit

ldub 09-27-2007 07:02 PM

Yep, UMA still hasn't come back up in NorCal.

ldub 09-27-2007 09:26 PM

Looks like UMA is back up in NorCal as of around 7PM.

Kit 09-27-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldub (Post 684830)
Looks like UMA is back up in NorCal as of around 7PM.

Still down in San Diego. Out of curiosity, which "Security Gateway IP" do you have under advanced Wi-Fi Diagnostics in the UMA section?

I have n33.w117.t-mobilesgws.com which is located in Los Angeles. Wondering if different customers have their accounts static mapped to different UMA server regions. This would explain some users being down while others are working fine.

ldub 09-27-2007 10:41 PM

Security Gateway IP: n37.w122.t-mobilesgws.com up here...

Kit 09-27-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldub (Post 684914)
Security Gateway IP: n37.w122.t-mobilesgws.com up here...

Name: n37.w122.t-mobilesgws.com
Address: 208.54.4.1

Name: n33.w117.t-mobilesgws.com
Address: 208.54.4.1

They both resolve to the same IP address. So much for that theory...

ldub 09-27-2007 11:09 PM

Hopefully it'll clear up by the morning for you.

Kit 09-28-2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldub (Post 684938)
Hopefully it'll clear up by the morning for you.

Woke up this morning to find UMA connected and working. Woohoo. Now if they would only tell their support folks about KNOWN OUTAGES it sure would save a lot of people time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.