BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Settings for a Better Storm Keyboard (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=162279)

vooboo13 11-30-2008 09:01 AM

I'm trying it out right now. There seems to be a long delay for the hovering blue highlight catches up to me.

tkebp1275 11-30-2008 10:51 AM

love the new settings.....everything is alot more responsive

winebuff 11-30-2008 10:55 AM

Great, this helped alot. Does anyone know how to change on the home screen from 2 rows to one of icons? Cant figure it out.

Racerdj 11-30-2008 11:07 AM

I'd like an expert here to put into common terms what the technical terms mean and accomplish!

viet2100 11-30-2008 11:16 AM

I love the settings, but with them, I can't hold my finger on an empty spot for it to edit. Anyone else experience this?

Thom 11-30-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viet2100 (Post 1189558)
I love the settings, but with them, I can't hold my finger on an empty spot for it to edit. Anyone else experience this?

That is due to the hover setting. If you changed it to 1000 as suggested in this thread, you will have to hold your finger there for quite a while before you can edit something. I have mine at 400 and am thinking about trying it at 300 or 200.

franknj 11-30-2008 11:39 AM

here are my settings for my keyboard and it works perfecty

Increase the Tap Interval to 100.
Increase the Hover Period to 100.
Increase the Swipe Sensitivity to High (6).
Key Rate to Fast."

PMurray633 11-30-2008 11:53 AM

Helped a lot, seemed to be able to type faster, which is cool, and no more little spinning clock while I am trying to type! YAY!

HarlyFan 11-30-2008 01:52 PM

Can someone explain what the tap interval and the hover period do?

deezmfnutz 11-30-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknj (Post 1189581)
here are my settings for my keyboard and it works perfecty

Increase the Tap Interval to 100.
Increase the Hover Period to 100.
Increase the Swipe Sensitivity to High (6).
Key Rate to Fast."

I second the 100/100/6/fast settings.

xsp 11-30-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winebuff (Post 1189537)
Great, this helped alot. Does anyone know how to change on the home screen from 2 rows to one of icons? Cant figure it out.

main screen..... BB button...Options....enjoy!!

Racerdj 11-30-2008 06:46 PM

Crackberry.com has a video of the to be released OS 4.7.0.75
Looks great and much improved!
I hope recommending crackberry.com offends no one here.

Spawneh 11-30-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winebuff (Post 1189537)

on the main screen hit the options key then hit options :)

rachamphetamine 11-30-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thom (Post 1189566)
That is due to the hover setting. If you changed it to 1000 as suggested in this thread, you will have to hold your finger there for quite a while before you can edit something. I have mine at 400 and am thinking about trying it at 300 or 200.

I have mine at 300 and it works great. I just have to hold a finger there for a second before it'll change to the box.

sixstringedmatt 11-30-2008 10:56 PM

Quick question -- I don't see key rate, where is that?

EDIT: Found it -- its not in the same list as the Hover, tap, etc. (for anyone else thats dumb like me)

SaintlySins 12-01-2008 12:36 AM

After being somewhat disappointed with the typing response coming off the "Q" I found this forum and the first thread has exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for posting it ... and my settings are:
Tap - 500
Hover - 300
Swipe - 5
Key Rate - Fast.

This completely changed the typing for me and I'm very happy.

Thanks.

SaintlySins

vnchenz 12-01-2008 01:55 PM

new settings work well
coming from a trio i was disappointed with the KB in this but now much happier
more accurate than the original settings

ronx 12-01-2008 02:30 PM

I'd like to second the Tap Interval and Hover Period similar to what SaintlySins and a few others have mentioned.... from what I've read and experienced, here's a brief description (and my settings):

Tap Interval: Amount of time allowed between taps to register a double tap. For example, in the browser, you double click to zoom. If you have Tap Interval set to 100, it means you have to tap twice within a very short period of time (100 ms maybe?), whereas a setting of 500 is more forgiving. (My setting: 500, though I'm considering reducing this to 200 or so since I seem to inadvertently zoom fairly often)

Hover Period: amount of time required to hover over (i.e. keep your finger on the screen) before activating certain hover features. For example, when switching into cursor mode to reposition your cursor when editing text. Another example is the "quick" filter in your Messages list -- if you hover over a Sender (or a Subject) in your messages list, it will filter your messages to show only messages from that Sender (or in that particular message thread). With a Hover Period of 1000, these features are painfully slow. (My setting: 200)

Keep in mind this is my interpretation after lots of reading and playing with various settings and still may not be 100% accurate. Please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Rob

SaintlySins 12-01-2008 04:50 PM

Additional observation;
When typing in Landscape mode, (personal favorite), there's a noticeable gap between the two sides of the keyboard running right down the middle. If I reach across the middle line when typing (right to left/vice-versa), I'm bound to get a wrong key. After studying this a little more, I realize the phone's been programmed for you to "short-the-key" (my own definition) when typing as you're fingers touch the screen in a slightly different place than your eye shows you - because your fingers are rounded and contact isn't quite where you visualize it to be.
I hope I've explained this well enough. If you "landscape" type, you'll see what I mean if you try and speed-type across the middle of the keyboard from the opposite end. This could explain some of the continued complaints from those who hunt-and-peck -vs- those who thumb-type with both thumbs.

I'll post this on both Key-Board threads running.
Hope it helps.

121traffic 12-01-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintlySins (Post 1191499)
Additional observation;
When typing in Landscape mode, (personal favorite), there's a noticeable gap between the two sides of the keyboard running right down the middle. If I reach across the middle line when typing (right to left/vice-versa), I'm bound to get a wrong key. After studying this a little more, I realize the phone's been programmed for you to "short-the-key" (my own definition) when typing as you're fingers touch the screen in a slightly different place than your eye shows you - because your fingers are rounded and contact isn't quite where you visualize it to be.
I hope I've explained this well enough. If you "landscape" type, you'll see what I mean if you try and speed-type across the middle of the keyboard from the opposite end. This could explain some of the continued complaints from those who hunt-and-peck -vs- those who thumb-type with both thumbs.

I'll post this on both Key-Board threads running.
Hope it helps.

HOLY CRAP. You're right. Unbelievable.

I just got my Storm today. Long time BB user (1st time poster, I think...) and I am just floored by this thing. Gotta say...read lots of the reviews before receiving it and I was getting worried. Now I see that it's really just people that don't bother figuring out what RIM was actually doing when it made the Storm do what it does. And it does it all very well, IMO.