BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Bluetooth Connection (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bluetooth FAQ (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6310)

Tom 04-11-2005 01:47 AM

Bluetooth FAQ

The Bluetooth FAQ

What is BlueTooth?

Bluetooth is a low bandwidth wireless networking technology designed primarily to replace cables*for communication between personal computing/communication devices. It is intended to be used for both voice and data communications. As of late 2004, Bluetooth is a very common standard for wireless communications between cell phones and PDAs, headsets.

Who Developed BlueTooth?

Bluetooth was initiated by Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Nokia and Toshiba in early 1998. These companies later formed a special interest group known as the Bluetooth SIG. Today, many companies are members of the Bluetooth SIG; and all are committed to developing and supporting the Bluetooth standard.*

Bluetooth* became an IEEE (Institute of* Electrical* and Electronics Engineers) standard during 2002. Acceptance of Bluetooth as an industry standard is important for both consumers and manufacturers alike, because of the promise of interoperability* attracts more companies into the market and lowers prices.

What is the range of Bluetooth transmitter/receivers?

Bluetooth is designed for very low power use, and the transmission range will only be 10m, about 30ft. High-powered Bluetooth devices will enable ranges up to 100m (300ft). Considering*the design philosophy behind Bluetooth, even the 10m range is adequate for the purposes Bluetooth is intended for.

What RIM Devices support BlueTooth?

At this time, the only devices that support Bluetooth are the BlackBerry 7100 Series, 7290, 7520, and 7250, 81xx series, 87xx series, 83xx series, and 88xx series.

What devices do BlackBerrys Support?

Currently BlackBerrys with Bluetooth only support audio headsets/carsets. Data related bluetooth is coming soon, but unavailable at this time.

What Carkits/Headsets are supported by BlackBerrys?

A good place to start is the Headset Reviews Thread. Another thread is The Supported Headsets Thread for further information on what is supported.

Please post if you have something more to add to this FAQ.

headtailgrep 10-17-2005 11:09 AM

Someone want to summarize the Bluetooth Keyboards that are supported and function? Also, explain why we can't connect any Bluetooth keyboard to a Blackberry..

headtailgrep 10-17-2005 12:49 PM

Here's a great Bluetooth FAQ from Rim, which gives more details about Bluetooth and Blackberries:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...jAction=browse

DanMan 02-21-2006 08:16 PM

Can you still answer a call on a BT headset while the BB is holstered?

KonTiki 02-21-2006 08:36 PM

Yes

Patas 03-04-2006 01:00 AM

New Question

Hello, I have a BB 7520 so if I understood everything okay, my bluetooth cannot exchange data. Whats the point of pairing devices? Can I transfer photos, ringtones or programs?

Thank You

RickCharles 04-18-2006 04:05 PM

please read the FAQ:

Quote:

What devices do BlackBerrys Support?

Currently BlackBerrys with Bluetooth only support audio headsets/carsets. Data related bluetooth is coming soon, but unavailable at this time.

HIH 04-18-2006 04:38 PM

Hey, if you are on the Dell D series laptop, don't attempt everything on the "hints" coz you will screw up the laptop as I did.

The BT driver thing totally rip me off -- don't take me wrong here: I am not a computer geek but really as good as our IT guys. :)

Good luck

steve.pearl 04-20-2006 03:12 PM

Our Security division is adamant about disabling bluetooth. Anyone know of any whitepapers etc I can show them to allow us to use it?
Thanks

trinybwoy 04-27-2006 03:06 AM

would it be possible to have this "sticky" updated to reflect the new blackberry 8700?

i heard that it is possible to use the bluetooth feature to tether as a modem to go online.

rmrocket 04-29-2006 11:49 AM

Raising volume on Bluetooth

When I purchased my bluetooth for my cell phone last year (motarola) the ear piece volume was low.

I was reading an article in a magazine at the time were a computer geek broke a code to raise the volume. I did it and was able to notice a big difference in volume. I can not find the article and would like to know if anyone saw it.

Please advise if you are aware of how to raise the volume

Thanks

Rich

nevi 05-17-2006 03:08 PM

The CDMA Blackberry 7250 BT is enabled for Data Transfer

afox3600 05-23-2006 09:58 PM

Hi...I am a new member, and I just bought a Blackberry 8700. Does it support data transfer so that I can synchronize it to my contacts?

Andy

trinybwoy 05-23-2006 10:01 PM

Yes it does.

WayneM 06-08-2006 09:57 AM

Belkin Bluetooth to 8700C - Can't get sync to work. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinybwoy
Yes it does.

I first tried a top-o-the-line Kensington USB Bluetooth adapter but could not make that work because it used its own software and I could not make it work with just the native XP Home Edition (SP2).

Checked the Microsoft supported Bluetooth list (which is VERY short) and bought a Belkin USB Adapter Model F8T012. Along with being supported by MS and having the designed for XP logo (doesn't say it WORKS with XP however) and it was the only one that showed a profile list on the back including "Sync" "File Transport" and "Serial Port". It says it is Bluetooth standard "Version 2.0 +EDR"

I went through pairing and a variety of the suggestions on various forums and, while I can get the Blackberry 8700C to audio connect to my Toshiba Satellite M45 notebook I haven't been able to come up with the right settings to enable Sync to work.

Is there a step-by-step process documented anywhere. I haven't been able to find one. Just suggestions in forum comments and those don't seem to work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Wayne Munn

apaul 07-09-2006 12:42 PM

Hi Wayne: any chance you can supply the address for that Microsoft -supported Bluetooth page. I tried searching the MS Knowledge Base to no avail.
Thanks in advance.:smile:
Alan
Found the Article 841803, thanks. Kind of out-of-date (November '04). Tried a search on Tiger Direct and can't find one of them.

WayneM 07-09-2006 07:26 PM

That article is the only one I have seen. Although dated I believe it was for XP SP2. BTW, I have just returned my second Bluetooth USB device for my Toshiba device because, after hours and hours of work, it would not work with the BB 8700C to sync. I would allow me to connect to all sorts of headsets and whatever, but I could not get it to enable syncing the BB with Outlook 2003 on this XP SP2 notebook.

I'm giving up for now since plugging the USB Bluetooth dongle into the notebook really wasn't any more convenient that plugging a cable into the BB. From what I can see after two different Bluetooth devices (Kensington and Belkin) Bluetooth and Blackberry just isn't worth it.

msop2001 07-20-2006 09:30 AM

I also bought the cheapest Belkin bluetooth adapter I could find (on eBay, paid $10). Uses Microsoft's software. Works perfectly with my 7100t for Intellisync.

adpb99@yahoo.co.uk 11-25-2006 07:56 AM

I've just got a BB Pearl 8100. It will pair with devices and I can send pictures, data etc succesfully to other phones but the transfer always fails in reverse. Is this because Bluetooth is not yet fully supported or is there something I've got set up wrong. I have ensured my BB is visible and have disabled encryption but to no avail. Any suggestions?

jmrguy 12-14-2006 05:21 PM

I am very new to the BB, but I haven't been able to find an answer. I have a 7290. Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to websites on the BB through a bluetooth or USB enabled computer with internet access?

Any ideas?? I know it is possible to go the other way (use the BB as a modem), but can I use the computer as an access point without having to pay for a BES or internet service from my cell phone provider?

rjhouck 12-15-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmrguy
I am very new to the BB, but I haven't been able to find an answer. I have a 7290. Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to websites on the BB through a bluetooth or USB enabled computer with internet access?

Any ideas?? I know it is possible to go the other way (use the BB as a modem), but can I use the computer as an access point without having to pay for a BES or internet service from my cell phone provider?

Maybe I do not understand the full question, but if you have a computer with internet access why use the BB. Plus why would you want to connect your computer to the BB via USB or BT to have access on your BB?

jmrguy 12-15-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjhouck
Maybe I do not understand the full question, but if you have a computer with internet access why use the BB. Plus why would you want to connect your computer to the BB via USB or BT to have access on your BB?

I would want to use the BB as a portable device to get email or websites from my couch or while I am doing things away from the computer (or when someone else is using the computer - or if I am in a meeting or something instead of having a laptop). I don't want to pay for the blackberry service from my phone provider, so if I could do it over bluetooth, it would be great, but I believe a few companies are looking into making usb connections wireless in the next few years so usb might be an option too (or at least something to mess around with right now).

ChrisWright 12-26-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpb99@yahoo.co.uk
I've just got a BB Pearl 8100. It will pair with devices and I can send pictures, data etc succesfully to other phones but the transfer always fails in reverse. Is this because Bluetooth is not yet fully supported or is there something I've got set up wrong. I have ensured my BB is visible and have disabled encryption but to no avail. Any suggestions?

I have exactly the same problem with my Pearl too :?

beestronger 01-19-2007 05:50 PM

I'm new to this site and not sure where to post my question...HELP!
I have a BB7520...I just bought the Motorola H700 bluetooth headset...
it answers calls lovely...but.......how do I MAKE calls from the headset?
i don't see a voice recognition in the BB....can you tell me how to do it or where I should post to find the answer? Thanks! beestronger

jhaedin_brennyn 02-18-2007 07:38 AM

Retrieving media with the Bluetooth

I read that a few people on here was having trouble getting things thru your bluetooth the trick is that you have to go to the media then to the menu and select retrieving media or something like that but thats the way the you get your media if there is anything else that i can help you with just holla!!!!!!!!!!:bb:

jhaedin_brennyn 02-18-2007 04:44 PM

Hey somehow i got my Motorola h350 to automatically but i got the motorola h500 and i cant figure out what i did can anyone help me please?

K1W1GUY 02-18-2007 09:00 PM

Hold down the multi function button on the H500 for 6-10 seconds untill te blue light stays on solid. Go to your BB and pair the device.

lemonsensation 04-24-2007 06:21 PM

I use the Motorola H700 with the Blackberry 8700c with the latest Cingular provided OS which is v4.1.0.377. I like the Motorola H700 design and how light weight it is but the problem is people complain they can't hear me as well compared to talking directly to the 8700c. And sometimes it is a little hard to hear also. The sound quality is bad enough so that I have to repeat what I say often.

Noclue 10-24-2007 07:32 AM

Hi there, Apoligies for not being able to find the "post new thread" button but it's similar. I've got an 8310 and have about 800 contacts on there. I would like to Bluetooth them all across to my new v1615 (non-Blackberry) but can't get the paired devices to do it. Has anyone got a good method of doing this without having to waste a bunch of time re-entering the details. Is it possible? Thanks

johnnyf 11-26-2007 05:01 AM

My Blackberry 8800 USB connector is malfunctioning so first of all I can't charge it (I only have a few bars of juice left) and secondly, I can't download the my contacts to my new Vista computer. Is there a way to transfer the data to my computer before I completely lose power and thus all of my contacts? Shouldn't I be able to do this somehow using the blue tooth?

blackberry9999 12-13-2007 12:42 AM

I keep reading that blackberry bluetooth only supports headsets/carsets but when I first got my 8700c i downloaded something off of blackberrys website that gave me a completely new os that gave me the data transfer but I messed around and got the original program. I cannot get it back! I have ringtones and pictures which I bluetoothed from my wifes nokia. Does anyone know how I can get this back so that I can continue with data transfers??? please if anyone knows how please respond?!

lakaw 12-31-2007 11:13 AM

Just got a BB 8130. It's my first BB and my first smart phone. So far I'm loving it! I had a quick question regarding the 8130's Bluetooth capabilities.
I am able to pair my 8130 to my Samsung A900, but I can't transfer anything in either direction.

On my A900, under Bluetooth, Trusted Devices, BB8130, Options, Info, the Name, Address, Device Type, Supported Profiles properties are shown. The only Supported Profile showing for my 8130 is DUN (Dial Up Networking). The other phones (A900, A610) under Trusted Devices show OPP/FTP as being Supported Profiles. Is there a way to change this?

With the current pairing I can see both devices from the other. If I try to send a file from my 8130 to my A900 the Bluetooth indicators light up on both phones and it shows the progress bar transferring the file, but when it's done the file doesn't show up where it should on my A900. If I try to send a file from my A900 to my 8130, my 8130 doesn't even show on the list to transfer to. I am assuming this is because the 8130 doesn't have the OPP/FTP profile.

Any ideas?

FF2 01-22-2008 09:02 PM

I looked though the threads here and followed the BB link (no longer valid) but am not sure about something - security related.

If I've paired my bb8830 with my Tomtom920 and with some XX Model earphone, can anyone with those same devices use/link/pair/whatever to MY BB or is there some other "security" or pairing/coding that was involved initially. If my phone is on and in my pocket and someone has the same model earphone can they dial my phone? Can another Tomtom920 copy my contact list?

What have I failed to ask in this same vein? (g)

Thanks in advance.

SassyChick 01-04-2009 11:43 PM

I got a Blackberry 7250 Phone off of EBay. Seems to be a good phone except that I cant get ring tones. Listing was misleading about the Blue tooth. Is there anyway at all to get ring tones on this phone? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated!

daphne 01-04-2009 11:56 PM

I replied to 2 of your other posts. Please don't keep posting the same question in different places.

wilxp 03-31-2009 09:41 PM

I tried to do data transfer with my Blackberry to my friend's nokia and sony ericsson mobiles. But it didn't work. Any solutions?

patryn 08-04-2009 12:28 PM

This faq really needs to be updated. The bluetooth world isn't flat anymore.

PIRATA! 10-06-2009 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilxp (Post 1338860)
I tried to do data transfer with my Blackberry to my friend's nokia and sony ericsson mobiles. But it didn't work. Any solutions?

I have this problem too with my Bold 9000: can send but not receive files from Nokia!!

...and yes! This faq should be updated.

dpicella 01-30-2010 01:16 PM

I've got a Bold 9700 and I've been trying to connect with Win XP using data transfer. According to this FAQ, BlackBerry does not offer data transfer services? However, I can select to offer these services on my Bluetooth options. Windows give me "no available com ports" when I try to make the connection. My windows machine does seem to have the com ports available. I'm confused. Any answers? Thank you!!

atisvt99 06-07-2010 11:38 AM

Update me please...

samcarter1022 06-28-2010 02:32 PM

BB Hands Free Device

Hello,

I recently bought a BB curve and I tried to pair it with my existing BB Hands free (VM-605) device, the first time I tried to connect I found the device easily, however I forgot the password. I tried something and it didn't work, now I have the password and I can't find the device. Everytime I try to connect it picks up everything but the hands free.

How do I get the hands free to show up again?

Kerry.

clive48 07-04-2010 08:04 AM

BB HS655+ with Strom2

Hi

I am using BBHP 655+ Bluetooth with Storm2. I have all profiles enabled on Storm2.
Still I am not able to hear any music on Btooth.
Can u guide me with steps to activate the same for music etc?
Thanks in adv

I am using OS 5.0.743

cherylfoster 12-24-2010 12:32 PM

Re: Bluetooth FAQ

Bluetooth is an open proprietary technical standards for wireless data exchange over short distances (using short-wave radio broadcast) from the fixed and mobile devices, create personal area networks (PANS) with a high level of security.

Ockert 01-04-2013 03:07 AM

Re: Bluetooth FAQ

Hi, can anyone please help me?
I bought myself a Kestrel 4500 handheld weatherstation with bluetooth, and paired it with my Blackberry Curve 9360 for using it to import data for the ballistics app.
My problem is that even though the devices are paired, i cannot get them to connect. When clicking on the menu button after highlighting the device name it do not give an option to connect at all.
How do i connect a device via bluetooth that has been paired?