BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   I can't wipe my last carrier OS out and gp from BES to BIS (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=198095)

diegohopfrog 07-21-2009 10:08 PM

I can't wipe my last carrier OS out and gp from BES to BIS

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this community so my apologies if i'm posting this in the wrong section.

Here is the case:

I have a Blackberry unlocked that i purchased on Ebay. The device works...more or less; the thing is that it was set up by Movistar (telefonica spain) and the browser, the freaking logo the application don't really work properly. I can't even set up my Email because the freaking OS only works for BES.

My carrier is AT&T here in the States and i want it to work with them in a regular BIS basis. i've tried to wipe it out several times; i've followed the steps of this forums to wipe it out and install a new BIS OS but it seems that the Movistar BES OS or whatever it is, is still on the ROM...

When i try to set up my Email, the phone only allows me to do it under BES and i can't download any applications. The DM doens't recognize any application (it's BIS DM).

What i need is just a way to wipe EVERYTHING out of the Bold and start with a new OS BIS to work with AT&T.

At this point i'm desperate and sick of wasting time...please help!

Thank you so much in advance

jsconyers 07-21-2009 10:21 PM

Welcome to the forums.

There is no BIS or BES OS. You most likely have an IT Policy on the device that is preventing personal email from being setup on the device.

Download JL_Cmder and run the ResetToFactory command. That should clear the IT Policy issue.

Other than that, make sure you have a BlackBerry data plan through AT&T.

diegohopfrog 07-21-2009 10:23 PM

many thanx

I think you are completely right. I'm gonna try to do that. I havent tried teh JAVA thing before. I'll keep you posted

diegohopfrog 07-21-2009 10:25 PM

One more thing, about the AT&T plan for blackberry...i'm using my old iphone SIM card...and it seems to work...do you think i should call them and let them know???

Thank u

jsconyers 07-21-2009 10:29 PM

Your old iPhone's SIM probably has a data plan, so you should be able to use some forms of data. However, you will not be able to get push email, use BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry Maps, AppWorld, etc. as they all require a BlackBerry data plan.

I would suggest calling AT&T and requesting them to provision your SIM for a BlackBerry data plan.

weath 07-22-2009 10:37 AM

Once you have reloaded the OS as posted by jsconyers, also make sure your sim is provisioned for BB service (also posted by jsconyers), then go to the AT&T BIS site, and send the service books to your device (if they don't automaticaly push to it). The key will be ensuring you have BB service provisioned on the sim. The iPhone data plan will (may?) give you some data access, but the BB Service Books are what's needed to get your BIS email.

diegohopfrog 07-22-2009 01:06 PM

I´ve tried to remove the vendor xml via JL_Cmder and also by going through the registry editor. I´ve also wiped the device several times before and after these steps...I finally managed to get the desktop manager to recognize the new software (9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel418_PL4.0.0.206_A4.6.0.247) and install it but it is still appearing as Movistar os and I´m running out of options here.

I´ve read a bit into the firewall issue (the red padlock still appears).

Everytime i try to set up my email the device only gives me the option to do it as BES.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

MidnightDraven 07-22-2009 01:11 PM

when you say movistar OS do you mean the start up screen?

jsconyers 07-22-2009 01:11 PM

In JL_Cmder, select the option to ResetToFactory.

JL_Cmder and the registry have nothing to do with the vendor.xml file.

Browse to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete vendor.xml from there. Also, while in the same location, select Loader.exe to load the OS AFTER you've deleted the vendor.xml file.

diegohopfrog 07-22-2009 01:17 PM

Hi Midnightdraven,

Yes, i'm sorry if it's not the proper term. I mean that all the set ups have been made by Movistar (including applications, browser, lenguage...)

When i try to set up my email on the phone it only gives me the Enterprise service option.

Hi jsconyers,

The firewall now is disable and i'm trying to do something else.

I'm keeping you posted on the spot!

Thank you all

jsconyers 07-22-2009 01:18 PM

You cannot change the splash screen, you will still have the Movistar screens.

MidnightDraven 07-22-2009 01:21 PM

applications, browser and even languages are the same for every carrier.
there isnt a different browser for movistar, or at&t for example.
the only thing that changes is by what service books you have.

i.e. if you have a moviestar option in browser, that it controlled by a service book.
as you havent got the BB data plan on your account, you dont have the service books for your carrier

diegohopfrog 07-22-2009 01:44 PM

What do you mean with "service book". Do they come with the software i'm uploading?

Excuse my ignorance, i was an iphone user...you know what i mean...

My main problems are:

1)the browser sucks and it's incredibly slow

2)I can't get BIS for my email. It keeps giving me the one and only option of doing it through BES.

MidnightDraven 07-22-2009 01:49 PM

no, as mentioned, if you dont have the Blackberry data plan on your account, you wont get the service books for what you need. service books come from your carrier not the OS.
Without the data plan, you wont get email either.

and the browser is generally slow anyway.

diegohopfrog 07-22-2009 04:06 PM

Thank you all for the advice and support. I already found out what was going on.

After removing the IT policy and disable the firewall, the problem was as simple as changing the data plan. :razz:

Thank you so much. I hope this threat will help someone else.

Peace

I HAVE A BB!!!

MidnightDraven 07-22-2009 04:11 PM

yes, it was mentioned you need a bb data plan serveral times.
glad its working