BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   what is the point of a PIN message??? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=43520)

highsocietypoker 08-10-2006 01:20 PM

what is the point of a PIN message???

???

fizz 08-10-2006 01:42 PM

a PIN message is another way of communicating to people with blackberries, it's like an email address, each BB has it's own PIN.

highsocietypoker 08-10-2006 02:04 PM

so why use that instead of text messaging...it seems like pid would be harder ask someone hten their number????....a friend told me its free???

Plinkerton 08-10-2006 02:39 PM

I don't really know the point of them.

I like them, because of BlackBerry Messenger. Using the PINs, everyone in your group is always online.

It's much quicker than a text message.

But if you weren't using BlackBerry Messenger, I don't really see the point of them.

Unless it's something that you'd feel okay with giving out, when you don't want to give out your phone number.

EDIT: Actually, my friends BB on Nextel, can't do text messages, so BB Messenger is the only quick way for us to contact each other besides calling or emailing.

AlmostThere 08-10-2006 03:07 PM

They are also a good troubleshooting tool.

If a user complains with "I am not receiving e-mail." I will send a PIN Message to them, if they don't receive it the problem is more than likely localized to their device. (i.e radio off, data component turned off etc)

fizz 08-10-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highsocietypoker
so why use that instead of text messaging...it seems like pid would be harder ask someone hten their number????....a friend told me its free???

it is free, it's a BB utility that will work with any data plan.

Nextel User 08-10-2006 07:57 PM

because Pins are the fastest way to send a message. i also can attach my address book entry and the recipient can save it. its easy to give out your pin....in a message type mypin and hit the space key. and boom your pin will show.
ld does the date
lt does the time

lots of good autotexts built in.

Bobb 08-10-2006 10:15 PM

PIN Messaging Is Extremely Valuable

As I understand it, PIN messaging does NOT go through someone's "regular" e-mail provider, but instead, goes directly from BB to BB via the BB network.

For example, if you send an e-mail to someone's AOL e-mail address, it goes through AOL and then gets pushed to their BB, often 15 minutes or more after you sent the message. If you sent it from a BB to the recipient's BB PIN, it would appear virtually immediately on the recipient's BB!

I know of a company that used BBs for their sales force in China. BB PIN messages sent from the USA were received within seconds in China, something that just wouldn't happen when using e-mail ISPs.

PIN = faster and more efficient.

option94 08-11-2006 03:44 PM

it's like text message but faster, and free. What could beat free?

camflan 08-11-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobb
For example, if you send an e-mail to someone's AOL e-mail address, it goes through AOL and then gets pushed to their BB, often 15 minutes or more after you sent the message. If you sent it from a BB to the recipient's BB PIN, it would appear virtually immediately on the recipient's BB!
PIN = faster and more efficient.

I would sure hope that emails are faster than 15 minutes, unless they are on BIS and it's polling at 15 minutes.......if it's taking 15 minutes to get an email, you're not using your blackberry to it's fullest.

on topic, PIN messaging is the best. /story

Bobb 08-13-2006 07:54 PM

E-mailing lags

Quote:

Originally Posted by camflan
I would sure hope that emails are faster than 15 minutes, unless they are on BIS and it's polling at 15 minutes.......if it's taking 15 minutes to get an email, you're not using your blackberry to it's fullest.

on topic, PIN messaging is the best. /story

Wouldn't know "polling" from anything else. I am not on a BES. Do know that if I'm on-line with desktop computer and an e-mail comes in, it can be several minutues (15 or so??? Maybe less...I don't pay that close of attention) before it shows upon my BB.

Plinkerton 08-13-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobb
Wouldn't know "polling" from anything else. I am not on a BES. Do know that if I'm on-line with desktop computer and an e-mail comes in, it can be several minutues (15 or so??? Maybe less...I don't pay that close of attention) before it shows upon my BB.

There's something wrong then. I'm on BIS, and my Gmail is instant. My yahoo mail can take up to 10 minutes, but my Gmail is ALWAYS instant.

Have you tried it with Gmail? Give it a shot to see if that's instant.

0siris 08-13-2006 11:18 PM

Remember one BIG difference between PIN messages and SMS is that PIN messages don't have the 160 character limit.

And since it's happened before on other forums, I don't really care how technically accurate 160 is or isn't. The point is that SMS has that limit, PIN messages don't.

kasperapd 08-14-2006 12:44 AM

PIN messages also use your data package and therefore you won't be charged for a SMS message.

adamlau 08-14-2006 01:34 AM

It is a quick and easy way to text contacts who use BlackBerry devices.

Plinkerton 08-14-2006 07:17 PM

I have a data package, and my girlfriend does not. She has a 7130c, but no data package. (She liked the shape of the phone, and how it looked...)

Anyway, I tried to send her a PIN message today to see if it would work, and it didn't seem too.

Should it have? Or, as was said, since this uses the data, will this only work with a data service?

penguin3107 08-14-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plinkerton
I have a data package, and my girlfriend does not. She has a 7130c, but no data package. (She liked the shape of the phone, and how it looked...)

Anyway, I tried to send her a PIN message today to see if it would work, and it didn't seem too.

Should it have? Or, as was said, since this uses the data, will this only work with a data service?

It shouldn't have worked. No BB Data Plan = No PIN messaging.

Plinkerton 08-14-2006 07:58 PM

Ah okay. That's what I thought.

Thanks

flash24 08-15-2006 12:07 PM

it's very addicting pinning people

Plinkerton 08-15-2006 12:17 PM

I've never actually done it...