BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   From Blackberry 8520 to iPhone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=230616)

candyflossangels 07-12-2010 07:41 AM

From Blackberry 8520 to iPhone

I have a contract with Orange for my Blackberry Curve 8520, and I bought a new iPhone 3GS (so I know a sim card will fit in it) off eBay recently (as my iTouch broke and I quite like iPhones...didn't really think these issues through before I bought it!).

I quite want to use it, but don't want to have to take out a whole new contract, obviously.

My current contract includes a data plan (250mb), as far as I know not a Blackberry specific one, but it may be one, unlimited texts and 600 minutes. Can I insert this sim card into the iPhone to use it?

I imagine texting and calling will work, but it's the internet I'm slightly worried about.

And I know you have to activate iPhones when they're new. Will I have to do that?

Basically, if someone could help me and guide me through what to do, that would be wonderful, thank you!

MidnightDraven 07-12-2010 08:12 AM

Well, being a blackberry forum we could tell you how to transfer from iphone to blackberry; but your question would probably be best in an iphone forum about what you need to do with the iphone.

juwaack68 07-12-2010 08:50 AM

You may need a different data plan for your iPhone then the one your have with your BlackBerry. For example, with AT&T in the US, there are different plans for each. I'd call your carrier to confirm. The pricing should be similar if the plans are different.

For the activation, all you need to do is put your SIM card in the device, install iTunes on your PC, connect the device to your PC and iTunes will walk you thru setting up the device. Pretty easy to do.

EDIT: Moved to Handheld Forum.

juwaack68 07-12-2010 08:55 AM

Oh, and this is the iPhone/iPad/iWhatever forum that I use:

iPhone, iPod touch and iPad Forums

Very friendly group there.

candyflossangels 07-12-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1627721)
You may need a different data plan for your iPhone then the one your have with your BlackBerry. For example, with AT&T in the US, there are different plans for each. I'd call your carrier to confirm. The pricing should be similar if the plans are different.

For the activation, all you need to do is put your SIM card in the device, install iTunes on your PC, connect the device to your PC and iTunes will walk you thru setting up the device. Pretty easy to do.

EDIT: Moved to Handheld Forum.

Well that's the main thing I'm confused about. However, they seem pretty similar. As far as I can tell, both use GPRS and EDGE... The only difference is the push email on the Blackberry, which I can't imagine is used by the iPhone.

If I activate the sim through iTunes, will that mean that it cannot be used in my Blackberry anymore?

juwaack68 07-12-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyflossangels (Post 1627733)
Well that's the main thing I'm confused about. However, they seem pretty similar. As far as I can tell, both use GPRS and EDGE... The only difference is the push email on the Blackberry, which I can't imagine is used by the iPhone.

The iPhone sort of uses push technology. I say sort of because there are some instances where I don't get any mail in a folder unless I click on it (i.e., the Sent Items folder) and it will then download the emails I've sent. Where a BlackBerry automatically keeps everything in sync.

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyflossangels (Post 1627733)
If I activate the sim through iTunes, will that mean that it cannot be used in my Blackberry anymore?

I may have the wording wrong here, but you're not actually activating the SIM with iTunes - you're activating the iPhone with iTunes. You will need to set up an iTunes account (get the credit card out) and the account is then tied to the iPhone. That way when you download a paid application via the App Store, it is tied to your iTunes account.

Make sense?