BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Bluetooth Connection (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Forcing voice dialing on Pearl? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=63155)

meatlaw 01-28-2007 08:15 PM

Forcing voice dialing on Pearl?

I have a Pearl and an Infiniti G35. The bluetooth built into the car is paired just fine. I can initiate dialed calls from the bluetooth (using the car's phone book, or by explicitly dialing a number), and if I initiate a call from the phone, the bluetooth picks it up.

The one problem I have is using the phone's voice activated dialing. If I initiate voice dialing from the phone, the pearl goes into voice dialing mode, is expecting me to say something, but it it does not activate the bluetooth, so there is no active microphone or speaker. It can't hear me, and I can't hear it talking back. It eventually gives up on me.

What I've learned, is that if I use the bluetooth to initiate a failed call (like dialing *# or something like that) to get the bluetooth connected, and then quickly push the voice dial button on the phone, it works just fine through the bluetooth. Said differently, if I can get the bluetooth system to think it's already on a call, then activate the pearl's voice dialing feature, it works great through the bluetooth.

So, here's my question -- is there any sort of dialed code that I can send to the phone from the bluetooth to activate the voice dialing feature on the pearl? Some combination of asterisks, numbers and pound signs that might get it going? I'd love to be able to use it. It really works well. It just won't play nicely with my bluetooth.

Thanks!

marcdinkel 01-29-2007 04:42 PM

I think the voice dial talks to you via speakerphone instead of through the headset. Is this right?

meatlaw 01-29-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdinkel
I think the voice dial talks to you via speakerphone instead of through the headset. Is this right?

When using a bluetooth headset which is working properly, the voice dial talks to you through the bluetooth. In my car, the Pearl clearly thinks that it is talking to me through the bluetooth, because neither the phone handset nor its speaker phone are active. I hear nothing at all from any source (unless I "trick" it into talking and listening through the bluetooth, as described above).

sgood4663 09-08-2007 04:38 PM

Using Phone's Voice Dialing via Car's Speakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatlaw (Post 436669)
When using a bluetooth headset which is working properly, the voice dial talks to you through the bluetooth. In my car, the Pearl clearly thinks that it is talking to me through the bluetooth, because neither the phone handset nor its speaker phone are active. I hear nothing at all from any source (unless I "trick" it into talking and listening through the bluetooth, as described above).

Did you ever find a way to utilize the phone's voice dialing while using the car as the "headset" via bluebooth?

meatlaw 09-08-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgood4663 (Post 660283)
Did you ever find a way to utilize the phone's voice dialing while using the car as the "headset" via bluebooth?

Never did. The sound quality was terrible in my car anyway, so I moved on to a Jawbone.

Ramsy 10-15-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatlaw (Post 660589)
Never did. The sound quality was terrible in my car anyway, so I moved on to a Jawbone.

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my Curve 8320. If anyone can figure a work around, I would be most appreciative.

skywaterbanjo 01-08-2008 08:54 AM

No voice dial while bluetooth connected to car

I'm having the same issue. It could be a deal killer for me for the Pearl. I'm in my 30 day trial period, switching from a Treo 700wx. My old Treo 700wx, which I hated for a variety of reasons, at least let me voice dial while connected in my car while driving. The Pearl won't, as stated in the previous posts. I don't like having to look at the tiny Pearl keyboard to dial a number.

Does anyone from RIM monitor these forums? If not, is there a way to get to their technical support?

Thanks.

skywaterbanjo 01-08-2008 08:40 PM

From my post on HoFo:

I spoke at length today with a RIM technical support person (not Verizon).

He confirmed that it is not possible to use voice dial while the phone is paired with the car's BT.

Sucks. Might be a deal breaker for the Pearl while I'm in my 30 day trial period.

Also talked to him about the BT issue when the Pearl is in the holster (well documented). He said I should not use an operating system upgrade from another provider (even though that release fixed the problem on Sprint, AT&T, and Alltel). He said wait for the update from Verizon. He said their last update was November 13 so they are due for an update.

FYI