BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Outlook Rule on the Blackberry... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=90332)

Barry_Black 08-13-2007 01:30 PM

Outlook Rule on the Blackberry...

Question:

If a user has a rule setup in Outlook where certain e-mails go directly to a sub-folder instead of the inbox will this rule replicate on the Blackberry. Should he be able to "View folder" on the handheld and see that message/sub-directly as in outlook or will the blackberry delete it as if it was moved from the inbox to, say, a .pst file?

Does that make sense??

jeremyckitching 08-13-2007 01:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

When I was using the BES service this would only work for me if I actually moved the email to the folder FROM the BlackBerry. So the message would have to come to my BlackBerry first, then I would move the e-mail to a folder. That is the only time I could use the View Folder option and actually see emails in the folder.

Barry_Black 08-13-2007 01:41 PM

Okay, so in general it's safe to assume that Outlook rules will not replicate on the BES, correct?

Andi 08-13-2007 02:03 PM

You can choose which folders you want email redirection from so you can add the folders that the mail gets delivered to via the Outlook rule. This can be done on the BES or desktop manager

juwaack68 08-13-2007 02:09 PM

I believe you can also do that on the device under Messages -> Options -> Email Settings -> Folder Redirection. I *think* if you put a checkmark next to the folder the rule is sending the mail to, it will work like you want it to work. I haven't tested this, though.....

Barry_Black 08-13-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi (Post 631939)
You can choose which folders you want email redirection from so you can add the folders that the mail gets delivered to via the Outlook rule. This can be done on the BES or desktop manager

Okay...but you have to choose the folder, it won't redirect by default if there's a rule set in Outlook?

Andi 08-13-2007 02:34 PM

Yes, you have to choose the folder - I belive the mail is redirected to the different folders before BES sees it

Ugg 08-13-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry_Black (Post 631884)
If a user has a rule setup in Outlook where certain e-mails go directly to a sub-folder instead of the inbox will this rule replicate on the Blackberry.

Server side or client side? If server side, then I'd expect the rule to fire before the BES gets to the message and the rules set in the handheld under "folder redirection" to apply - at least, it works for me. If we're talking client-side rules, then with Outlook connected I'm not sure what would happen.

Barry_Black 08-13-2007 05:46 PM

Client side....

ladydi 08-13-2007 06:36 PM

client side rules will apply on the BB at their leisure. the mail will probably land in the messages folder and then the next time BES scans the mailbox, it will move it to the folder that outlook moved it to.

BUT, that only applies to subfolders of you inbox. BES cannot manage anything put into a .PST file because it does not reside within your e-mail box. Your BB will leave the message in your messages list if it cannot find where it went in the exchange mailbox - this is the same issue people see when they do hard deletes.

takeshi 08-14-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry_Black (Post 631972)
Okay...but you have to choose the folder, it won't redirect by default if there's a rule set in Outlook?

Only the inbox and sent items are redirected by default (take a look at the folder redirection settings in Desktop Manager for yourself). The BB isn't designed to assume anything on your behalf. You explicitly need to tell it which subfolders to redirect.

DGreen 08-15-2007 07:32 PM

On the BES is there a way to turn on the folder redirection for all users and all folders, without having the right click on every user and then poor through all of their sub folders selecting them for email redirection?