BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   8800 on Rogers (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=58889)

SurrealCivic 11-16-2006 11:18 AM

RIM BlackBerry 8800 on Rogers?

There are rumors flying around that Rogers could get the 8800 right in time for Christmas.

Anyone wish to speculate on this? Any thoughts? Is it possible for RIM to release another new product this quarter? (ie. assuming Pearl was Oct release not Sept.).

If Rogers did release the 8800 for Christmas, Would it be the Crimson? Indigo? Gamma Ray?

Lex Luthor 11-16-2006 11:31 AM

According to my Corporate Rogers Reps there won't be another BlackBerry launched on Rogers until 2007.

paulbblc 11-16-2006 08:44 PM

Probably not till Q1 next year. It is called the Arrow.

bbmike 11-16-2006 08:53 PM

The Arrow? What about Indigo and Crimson? Is Arrow a name given to a Rogers specific device?

paulbblc 11-16-2006 10:16 PM

Yes, it is the Rogers specific device.

headtailgrep 11-16-2006 10:37 PM

There was talk.. but nothing. RIM has tightened the ship since the Pearl leaks.. we'll just have to wait and see..

"Rogers Specific" -- yeah... minor cosmetic change.. a theme or two... everythign else the same. "Specific" it is not. "Specific" "exclusive" are words that should be seen right through.. The only 'specific' is the fact Rogers has the GSM monopoly in Canada. You can bet a 95% similar device will be sold via a US carrier or two, (or three?)

Either way, this device, regardless of it's codename, is still worth looking forward to =)

SurrealCivic 11-17-2006 09:40 AM

I wonder if the Arrow will have UMTS/UMA

Cujo 11-17-2006 02:49 PM

February will be the release month for the Rogers Arrow. I stated this before in another thread and got blasted for my low post count. So take it as you will.

asdf37 11-18-2006 12:13 PM

my source at rim said the same thing, february

tomh009 11-19-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujo
February will be the release month for the Rogers Arrow. I stated this before in another thread and got blasted for my low post count. So take it as you will.

Your post count is twice as high now so I think you are OK! :smile:

I'll be looking forward to the Arrow, as I just became eligible for an upgrade (just missed the 8700 the last time).

bbmike 11-19-2006 10:00 AM

So is the Arrow the one that looks like the Pearl except it's QWERTY? (polished black/chrome look?) That's the nicest looking one, isn't it? that other 'silver' one with the rounded edges...kinda looks....well, cheap.

supercat25 11-24-2006 12:57 PM

I have heard the same thing everyone else is hearnig Jan or Feb 2007

mikeymik'd 12-18-2006 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulbblc
Probably not till Q1 next year. It is called the Arrow.

Hope it's doesn't have the same fate as the avro arrow...

Any presentations I have been in showed "canuck" as the code name for the 8800.

Jagga 12-18-2006 03:36 AM

@Cujo,

Do you know if Rogers will be purging the WiFi functionality or even possibly using UMA? I ask this because of the multiple carrier WiFi infrastructure partnership with Starbucks coffee shops across the Toronto and rest of Canadian major cities. BTW, this partnership involves Fido (still Rogers), Telus & Bell.

Lastly, if WiFi is there would it ONLY be effective for UMA/VoIP or will its ability to surf the internet & use IM over WiFi be possible?

Thanks.

dtmfjunkie 12-18-2006 10:27 PM

A very reliable source (RIM Developer partner) has also confirmed Feb release for Rogers. He also mentioned that they were having issues with wifi and RIM was releasing new firmware to resolve wifi issues.

TyWebb 12-22-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbmike
So is the Arrow the one that looks like the Pearl except it's QWERTY? (polished black/chrome look?) That's the nicest looking one, isn't it? that other 'silver' one with the rounded edges...kinda looks....well, cheap.

Have seen and tried both versions, actually prefer the black

mshume 12-22-2006 10:47 AM

8800 on Rogers

I have been looking at these 8800 Forum, and can't wait to see the 8800 on Rogers. Talked to my Rogers Rep, and he stated that 8800 (Canuck) will be out the first quarter in the new year. He said that the new blackberry will be similar to the Pearl, but with a QWERT keyboard like the 8700 (which I use now).

My question is: is there a slot for a SD Card like the Pearl in the 8800? if so, will it hold a 2GB card or larger?

I see on some forums there will will be a 8800 without a Camera released in the start of the year, then a second model with a camera released in the Spring, not sure if this was wishful thinking on the members part or not...

mobile_pheen 12-22-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurrealCivic
I wonder if the Arrow will have UMTS/UMA

rogers doesnt have UMTS.. they have launched HSDPA which is Faster then Umts

roofus 12-23-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujo

This forum would be a lot better if a select few had a lower post count:razz:

and I don't mean me!

nsimpson 01-07-2007 03:03 PM

well...

HSPDA isnt offically launched everywhere in cananda. Western Canada is still going through testing stages.

As far as me asking my people at headoffice (rogers) they are now quoting start of Q2. Which really stinks it up.