BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BlackBerry Future? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=264364)

NoBox 05-20-2013 06:41 PM

BlackBerry Future?

In the news today was a link to a discussion on BlackBerry. Guess there is concern whether BB can be, or will be an ongoing profitable company worth investing in. That meshed with several seemingly dunderheaded moves with the current machine issues.

Guess BB produced new phones as an income source during the transition from a Smartphone company to a Platform company. The article pointed out that in Orlando BB rolled out a Bently powered by QNX as a demonstration of where they are going.

More discussion but the thrust was that BB will probably not be a Smartphone producer much longer but will be a viable, profitable investment because they own and will continue to develop QNX as a universal platform.

If these investment bankers are correct it seems likely the PlayBook is what it is and don't look to "fixes" for perceived problems in other devices. Nor should anyone get too wrapped up in BB phone investment.

Interesting

jsconyers 05-20-2013 06:53 PM

Re: BlackBerry Future?

I believe BlackBerry realizes that their first foray into the tablet market was a big miss. I think they're at the point of cutting their losses in that market space. As for QNX, yes it has a lot of potential in different platforms and BlackBerry would be smart to lease it out.

However, as long as they're still making devices with QNX on them, they would be wise to support it if they plan to lease their software. Otherwise, buyers will have no confidence in buying a QNX based device.

Now if BlackBerry went the route of Android by allowing other manufacturers to put QNX on their devices, then this would be a different story. I could see that being a possibility. From what I've read Samsung wants to get away from Android and possibly have a proprietary OS, or maybe they'd be interested in QNX. Nokia, HTC, etc could jump on as well and it would do wonders for QNX as a platform, just like it did for Android.

To get back on topic, I think it will be a while before we have to worry about BlackBerry not having "fixes" for their smartphones.

dc/dc 05-20-2013 08:14 PM

Seriously? How many threads and posts are you going to make about this?

NoBox 05-22-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1803727)
I believe BlackBerry realizes that their first foray into the tablet market was a big miss. I think they're at the point of cutting their losses in that market space. As for QNX, yes it has a lot of potential in different platforms and BlackBerry would be smart to lease it out.

However, as long as they're still making devices with QNX on them, they would be wise to support it if they plan to lease their software. Otherwise, buyers will have no confidence in buying a QNX based device.

Now if BlackBerry went the route of Android by allowing other manufacturers to put QNX on their devices, then this would be a different story. I could see that being a possibility. From what I've read Samsung wants to get away from Android and possibly have a proprietary OS, or maybe they'd be interested in QNX. Nokia, HTC, etc could jump on as well and it would do wonders for QNX as a platform, just like it did for Android.

To get back on topic, I think it will be a while before we have to worry about BlackBerry not having "fixes" for their smartphones.

Personally I agree. But this is a General BlackBerry Discussion area and these were comments by big name investment firms. Their attitudes play a significant role in the future of most firms.

It may be old hat to some, but it was new to me that BlackBerry was redefining itself to be a much broader company. That speaks well for their corporate future.

tsac 05-26-2013 07:10 PM

They better stick around for a while, I just ordered a Z10 !!!!

NoBox 05-26-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac (Post 1803948)
They better stick around for a while, I just ordered a Z10 !!!!

One of the things seen in many of the posts here and in Crackberry are forecasts for the future. People trying to read the tea leaves about what the company is going to do next and when. My, a person would think this was the stock market! The reality is that there are many factors involved. Many we as customers don't see.

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that Blackberry will be around for a long time. How much they will be involved in phone type devices is less certain. They made their bones as a specialty company in a somewhat captive market. Whether they can change, at least a portion of the company into a consumer driven commodity company whose products have a big toy factor is the key question.

No matter what your expense should be safe. Even if the smartphone portion of Blackberry went under in six months(highly unlikely) the carriers would either pick up Support or would offer a good deal on a trade out to another smartphone. Too much money involved not to.

alicepattinson 05-27-2013 04:42 AM

There are still a lot of people who looooooooves blackberry so much, so yeah there is still a big future :)

dc/dc 05-27-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicepattinson (Post 1803952)
There are still a lot of people who looooooooves blackberry so much, so yeah there is still a big future :)

Wrong again.

stevetaz 05-28-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1803966)
Wrong again.

You have to admire the consistency......

dc/dc 05-28-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetaz (Post 1803993)
You have to admire the consistency......

In a sick and twisted sense...