BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Specific Issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Orange UK 3G problems (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=219868)

Kurai Kitsune 02-17-2010 08:44 AM

Orange UK 3G problems

Hey guys,

Has anyone else here on Orange had problems with 3G and their BlackBerry?
I am Northampton based. Their coverage rates me as having good 3G network quality.
Phone: Bold 9700, Contract, BIS data plan included.

Ever since getting my 9700, 3G has never worked. Called Orange support the first time, they took me through the pretty self explanitory settings menus, then told me there was planned maintenance on the masts near me. Left it a while, called again, they said there were still problems with the mast. This was a month ago.

Manually roaming the networks, i can see Orange 2G and 3G. When selecting 3G, the 3G logo comes up on the top of my berry, with signal. 5 seconds later i get no signal and 'SOS' in the corner. Then it reverts back to GPRS.

I have a friend on iPhone 3G with Orange, theirs went down the other week, but a device reset made it connect again. I still can't get connected.

I have since been to London and back, never got a 3G connection there either. Same story with it being available on the network search.
Already found one post on the forum regarding 9700 and orange 3g, but was for PAYG sim.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks~

MidnightDraven 02-17-2010 03:30 PM

Is it a 9700 from Orange?

Kurai Kitsune 02-18-2010 03:32 AM

No, it's a generic 9700 from carphonewarehouse. No carrier lock

MidnightDraven 02-18-2010 06:38 AM

OK, was just checking it wasn't a t-mobile US 9700 which wouldn't work on 3G here.

Kurai Kitsune 02-18-2010 06:47 AM

:P I'm not THAT silly

Kurai Kitsune 02-19-2010 02:43 AM

Called Orange again last night. Got a rather helpful woman telling me i have the wrong simcard for 3G... something i would have never thought of for sure.
Apparently i had a class 21 sim, and needed a class 32 to access 3G. Or something... So will see how that goes when they 'try' to send me a replacement sim card.

So much for Orange support saying 'oh its still under maintenance, wait 10 days'

Abhiramyananda 03-10-2010 12:11 PM

I rang Orange call centre last month. They told me that the problem does not come from my SIM card, but it comes from their NETWORK. They need more time to improve their infrastructure. How ridiculous?? :?

Please let me know if your new Sim works on 3G Orange Network.
Actually, I ordered another new 3G sim, but the problem still exists. :cry:

Abhiramyananda 03-13-2010 06:25 AM

Just want to update this.
I bought the 3G orange sim on Ebay. It arrived this morning.
Then I logon my Orange Mobile account and set the system to transfer the number to my new sim. It seems works. All my balance + 1 pound from the new sim. 3G signal all the time now. ;-)
I wonder why Orange customer service told me a lie. :-(

DJBoozy 03-15-2010 03:33 PM

I've just moved back to orange from vodafone, i've noticed the 3G performance can be very hit/miss :-S

michaeljubel 07-21-2010 10:44 AM

change your SIM card to 3G sim card

yeah, i have tried the suggestion mentioned above. i ordered a 3G sim card from ebay for GBP 0.99, transferred my number to the new sim card and everything is now working properly.

to check whether you have a 3G sim card or not, look for '3G' at the back of your sim card. if you don't have that, that means you have to change the SIM.

Jadey 07-22-2010 04:58 AM

Moved to carrier specific