BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   GPSLogger [100% free - 100% offline] (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=174969)

emacf1 02-08-2009 02:14 PM

GPSLogger [100% free - 100% offline]

2 Attachment(s)
http://bb.emacf1.com/GPSLogger.png GPSLogger v0.4.10
I would like to use the opportunity to present the first release of an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.2.1 or higher [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8100, 8310, 8800, 8820, 9000 & 9500].

It's a quite straight forward application, that is recording your movement with your BB-phone over time - this includes Elevation and Speed (and some more data).

The main motivation to write this application was first of all to learn how to program my new Blackberry (via RIM's Java API) - The main benefit (compared to a JavaME Midlet) is, that you have full access to the hardware (like the Filesystem) without any confirmation from the user. Of course this will restrict the usability of the application to Blackberry devices only - but well - I own now one - so I do not care ;-)
The second reason for creating a own application was that I wanted to have a GPSLogging application without any kind of online access (so without any additional costs).

Of course I am looking desperately for feedback from other Blackberry Users (specially devices that I do not have tested) - your feedback is highly appreciated.

Features
What you can do with GPSLogger v0.4.10:
  • Record your movement (as long as you take your BB with you) :wink:
  • Display current Position:
    • Longitude / Latitude
    • accuracy of Longitude / Latitude
    • # of Satellites
    • current altitude (in WGS84)
    • current course/heading
    • current speed [Ø speed (if available)]
    • travel distance
    • travel time
  • While recording you can mark your current position and specify a Note for it
  • While recording you can pause & resume the recording
  • Copy your current location data [Lon|Lat|Alt] into the Clipboard to be able to paste it in a SMS or eMail (or where ever you like)
  • 4 different Main views:
    • Path View: 2D-View of Longitude & Latitude values
    • Elevation View: Altitude over time
    • Speed View: Speed over Time
    • GPS View: Longitude / Latitude / Speed / course in a large font
    • Switch between Day/Night Mode
  • Options:
    • Select GPSLogger Font Size:
      • Small (= BB Default Font Size/1.5) [GPSLogger default]
      • Medium (= BB Default Font Size/1.25)
      • Large (= BB Default Font Size)
    • Specify the initial view of GPSLogger
    • Specify if the background should be always ON
    • Select NightMode Color Scheme [Yellow/Red/Green/Blue]
    • Specify the sample frequence (in which period the application will record the current position)
    • Directory on your BB device to which your Paths will be recorded (can be also SDCard)
    • Units in which the Data will be displayed (Metric/Imperial/Nautical)
    • Export Directory on your BB device
    • Specify the recipient list (when you have chosen eMail-Export) - separated multiple recipient eMail addresses by space
    • Export format(s): GPX & KML (GoogleEarth)
  • Load previously recorded Paths
    • Navigate with the trackball through your Path
    • Navigate with the Keyboard through your Path
      • a|s: Start Position
      • e|r: End Position
      • y/z|x: 15 Positions back
      • c|v: 1 Position back
      • b|n 1 Position forward
      • m: 15 Positions forward
    • Load previously recorded paths into the Background (as many as you like) to compare the current (e.g. recording) Path with previously recorded Paths. [e.g. to compare your actual hiking or biking route with the ones you did in the past]
    • Export a Path to GPX/KML (depeding on your Settings) to the BB filesystem
    • Export a Path to GPX/KML and send it automatically by BB-eMail to a recipient (list) [recipients configurable in options dialog]
  • The exported KML files can be loaded into GoogleEarth and you can get a detailed view of your paths

Installation
You can install GPSLogger "over the air" directly to your Blackberry device* via the following link:
http://bb.emacf1.com/GPSLogger.jad
(aprox. 90KiB)

or if you like to install it via RIM DesktopManager simply download a ZIP containing the ALX and the COD:
http://bb.emacf1.com/BlackBerry_GPSLogger_v0.4.10.zip

* unfortunately I did not managed to get OTA working with BB 8100 (4.2.1) Series devices - so if you are an 8100 owner, please download the zip below and install GPSLogger via DesktopManager (or javaloader)

Additional Notes
  • Even if I own a Storm myself there is no TouchScreen support (yet) - but once there is a stable/complete version of GPSLogger there will be a Strom enhanced Version, that allows to browse though a recorded Path via the TouchScreen (instead of the Keyboard)
  • GPSLogger currently only work with 'JSR179 LocationProvider' compatible Devices (this is the Java spec.) - these are for sure all BB with build in GPS-Receivers (as long as supported by the provider) - but I have already feedback from people using the software with external (Bluetooth) GPS-Pucks (as long as they are activated before the application start)

Finally: of course it would be nice, if this application meets your standards, that it can be listed in the 'All-known-gps-applications-bb' Thread (in the section free: 'Tracking, outdoor and recreational related GPS').

Looking forward for your comments
Matthias

PS: Please visit the new GPSLogger Homepage

Iare Tosevite 02-08-2009 03:35 PM

Cool I will test it soon.

Stinsonddog 02-09-2009 12:18 AM

Looks interesting. I fixed the links and stuck the thread for a bit.

emacf1 02-09-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog (Post 1277165)
...I fixed the links and stuck the thread for a bit.

thanks a lot - I just hope, that the app can match the expectations - one thing that can be still added to the initial post are some screenshots [which I could not add right now - and I do not want to make "Dummy"-Posts just to get the post count to get permission to do so].

=> the sceenshot I would like to attach can be found here:
http: 'slash' 'slash' emac.sportplanet.gamespy.com 'slash' forum 'slash' download 'slash' file.php?id=7848&mode=view (but I do not mind, if this is too a big hassle for you Stinsonddog (or another Forum Mod)

looking forward to your feedback (and even if xmas is not even close around the corner you can post your wishes as well)

Matthias

Jon_Hill 02-09-2009 07:19 AM

Thanks for the application, I will try it out.

update, works great, what is your intended application of the exported data. Are there any good free ones that can inport your datastream and be able to analise some more?

Great app and thanks, keep up the good work.

emacf1 02-09-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_Hill (Post 1277277)
update, works great, what is your intended application of the exported data. Are there any good free ones that can inport your datastream and be able to analise some more?

Go to 'Manage Paths' select a file and choose 'export' from the menu... that give you a GPX and/or a KML File (depending of your configuration). Then use e.g. DesktopManager to get that exported files from your device (I store mine on the SDCard and simply put the SDcard into my Notebook)... Once you have the exported files on your PC, you can load e.g. KML's into the free GooglEarth application.

I hope this answers your question

Jon_Hill 02-09-2009 12:56 PM

Thanks emacf1, I was thinking the google for mobile has an import option but it looks not.

Thanks again I will try the full blow descktop application.

Iare Tosevite 02-09-2009 02:30 PM

I tried it out, and its nice! :D Thanks.

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:34 AM

while I was on my way home today I realized, that there have to be a "night mode" as well - so what would be in your opinion the best way to activate it - should it be auto activated by the time? [I assume this will be not so nice when you live not close to the equator]

Any suggestion?

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a preview of the upcoming night mode... since I could not decide, which color would be the best I simply made it configurable...

I hope tonight (GMT) I'll can make the next release

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:39 AM

please delete

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:40 AM

please delete

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:42 AM

please delete

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:43 AM

I am sorry MODs - but I was forced to update the link in the initial post [since stupid me have delete the 0.4.1 already on the webserver] - The Tooltip over the "Edit" button here say: edit/delete -> so I thought I could clean up the mess myself - now I have to realize, that I can't :oops:

my apologize
Matthias

emacf1 02-10-2009 10:45 AM

update 0.4.2 is available:

What's new?
  • Main views:
    • GPS View: Longitude / Latitude / Speed / course in a large font
  • Options:
    • Specify the initial view of GPSLogger
    • Specify if the backlight should be always ON

cbaray 02-11-2009 11:41 PM

I liked the idea of the app, but found it hard to use. On a 8310:

+ the options had to be explicitly saved via the menu. Leaving the options screen and selecting the "save" option on the dialog did not save the options values. I had to bring up the menu and select "save settings" to get them to save.
+ when my blackberry is in a holster (as it is most of the time when I'm traveling) the app did not continue to map my movement. Is there a way to keep it active while the blackberry is holstered?

The holstered behavior is the showstopper for me right now. With it active while holstered, I'd be very happy with the app.

Thanks.

emacf1 02-12-2009 06:16 AM

Thanks for you feedback cbaray - I will look into this issues for sure...

VonnerNIX 02-12-2009 11:55 AM

This sounds like it could be a pretty neat application.

Now only if my VZW 8830 had GPS enabled... :(

Once I upgrade to the storm in a few months I will definitely grab this.

emacf1 02-12-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaray (Post 1281876)
+ the options had to be explicitly saved via the menu. Leaving the options screen and selecting the "save" option on the dialog did not save the options values. I had to bring up the menu and select "save settings" to get them to save.

Confirmed - is fixed in the next release

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaray (Post 1281876)
On a 8310:
+ when my blackberry is in a holster (as it is most of the time when I'm traveling) the app did not continue to map my movement. Is there a way to keep it active while the blackberry is holstered?

I am sorry but I can't reproduce this here with my real storm device as well as with various BB-phone simulators [8800, 9000] - all of them have the correct behaviour when they are send to the holster -> the Backlight is turned OFF and the app is still running.

Could I ask you to try the following:
1) start the app
2) start recording
3) put the device into the holster
4) travel around - at least for 10min within two mile radius?
5) take the device out of the holster

TIA
Matthias

emacf1 02-13-2009 04:10 PM

update 0.4.3 is available:

What's new?
  • Main views:
    • Switch between Day/Night Mode
  • Options:
    • Select NightMode Color Scheme [Yellow/Red/Green/Blue]

Preview:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...ml#post1278978

+ Bugfix:
Leaving the options screen via ESC-Key and selecting the "save" option on the dialog will now save the options.

Matthias